Author Topic: got myself a mechanical keyboard  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Re: got myself a mechanical keyboard
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
I am in the market for a new keyboard...what are the differences in quality between SteelSeries, Corsair, Razor, and Logitech?
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
I'll have to look into a mechanical keyboard.  They've all the keys we want for AH?

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
My old 9 year Dell is finally wearing out, so I took a chance and  ordered the Corsair K95. Sale price seemed good at Fresh eggs site.   

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »
The Das is a nice board but dont be a bonehead like me and buy the one without the key lettering on it, at least unless you want it like that, and I have no idea why anyone would. Nor did I even know such a board was made. I was disappointed cause it seemed like a great board but i sure as hell wasnt about to do business with New Egg again after they sent me the one I didnt want.

So I bought a Black Widow. I didnt think I'd like the load click when you type but now I wouldnt want anything else. Razor is coming on strong with a bunch of hardware. They have replaced Logic Tech for me.

I have had the one with the lettering for some time now.  The key feel is similar to the old IBM keyboard, but the play in the horizontal plane of the keys is a bit high compared to the IBM keyboard.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
There is a computer repair shop in the town I live in and they csnt give away tge old IBM keyboards.  I'm thinking about getting a couple and send them to Skuzzy
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »
There is a computer repair shop in the town I live in and they csnt give away tge old IBM keyboards.  I'm thinking about getting a couple and send them to Skuzzy

I'll buy one from you too!

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 06:53:14 AM »
The only thing I remember about rhem is that big nasty IBM logo on them. Ket me see when I get home. I still have 432 miles to go.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »
http://www.pckeyboard.com/

I've ordered one of these to check out, apparently they use the exact same key design as the original IBM, the collapsing spring thingamajig.  I'll report back once I get it and compare it to a few of my original IBM boards.  I'm very interested to see how their keys stack up to the original, as, like I've said and agree with Skuzzy, as good as the new ones are, they aren't as good as the original IBM M keyboards.  The new "cherry" switches on my Razer are very good, but it nor any of the other major brands have ever surpassed the IBM key patent. 

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

This place sells the actual IBM boards, and has a pretty good description on what years are best etc.  Since I have a bunch I don't need to buy one from them, but figured a few guys here who were looking may be interested.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:06:23 AM by Gman »

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
are IBM keyboards using cherry switches? If yes what type? Most gaming keyboards use black switches I'd love to try every type out there

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482

I guess cherry as a brand didn't exist in the 80's  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:58:30 PM by SirNuke »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 03:08:52 AM »
No, the old IBM M keyboards pretty much all use the buckling spring patented key design.  Like I said, I love the new keyboards from Razer, Steel, Corsair, and the other gaming companies, and I'm glad they're building them, and they're what I use for gaming most of the time due to the lit keys.  If I'm typing or writing anything longer than a BBS post, I use the IBM M keyboard, as the key's are still better, at least IMO, and by a fair margin, than the newer Cherry keys, at least for typing quickly and accurately.

One thing is for sure, once you try any mechanical, you'll not want a standard keyboard ever again.  I can max out at about 70 or so WPM on my Razer, and well into the 80's with the IBM board, with far less errors taking off score.  I don't love the PS2 connectors though, I'll say that for nothing.  If IBM was smart they would sell that buckling spring thing to another company, or build some new keyboards themselves.  Like I said, the "new" manufactured one I ordered from the first link in the last post should be interesting I hope.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »
I loved my old IBM keyboard and currently have a mechanical Das keyboard, which is not as good as the IBM keyboard but much at least it has mechanical switches, which I have always preferred.
A company called unicomp still makes a buckling spring model M. Im typing on it right now :P
http://www.pckeyboard.com/
And hey its actually made in the USA
No, the old IBM M keyboards pretty much all use the buckling spring patented key design.  Like I said, I love the new keyboards from Razer, Steel, Corsair, and the other gaming companies, and I'm glad they're building them, and they're what I use for gaming most of the time due to the lit keys.  If I'm typing or writing anything longer than a BBS post, I use the IBM M keyboard, as the key's are still better, at least IMO, and by a fair margin, than the newer Cherry keys, at least for typing quickly and accurately.

One thing is for sure, once you try any mechanical, you'll not want a standard keyboard ever again.  I can max out at about 70 or so WPM on my Razer, and well into the 80's with the IBM board, with far less errors taking off score.  I don't love the PS2 connectors though, I'll say that for nothing.  If IBM was smart they would sell that buckling spring thing to another company, or build some new keyboards themselves.  Like I said, the "new" manufactured one I ordered from the first link in the last post should be interesting I hope.
And that's exactly what they did, first they sold the machines to mold the plastic and etc to lexmark who then sold them to Unicomp. Unicomp makes them brand new. I ordered mine in late April of last year and the date on it is 4/12/13 can't get much better than that... Its still heavy like the old IBM version however the version i got is not as long. Still has the keycaps that can be removed and cleaned and etc. Still built like a tank....
They come in the standard PS2 connection or in a new USB version which is the one i got. Very happy with this keyboard better than any cherry mx blue or brown keyboard that I have used. Windows key is also new.

EDIT: Just noticed you posted the link before Gman.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:03:13 PM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
I'm thinking seriously about having my wife get me the Unicomp classic 104 trackball keyboard for Christmas. I'd love to have one but spending $100+ on a keyboard is kind of hard to justify. My wife is going to think I've lost my mind.  :lol

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »
I'm thinking seriously about having my wife get me the Unicomp classic 104 trackball keyboard for Christmas. I'd love to have one but spending $100+ on a keyboard is kind of hard to justify. My wife is going to think I've lost my mind.  :lol

She won't when she'll hear the crackling from your room. You can justify it by being able to write her love letters 20% faster.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
If it is built like the original IBM keyboard it will last almost forever.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »
If it is built like the original IBM keyboard it will last almost forever.

it does look like it!

what I dislike is the windows key. Main reason I picked the steel series above other is the lack of left windows key.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:59:39 AM by SirNuke »