Author Topic: Which is the best Squad in AH?  (Read 10255 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Which is the best Squad in AH?
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2013, 06:59:44 AM »
When was that, like 4 years ago? I'm talking right here right now, all you guys make are excuses. I've never seen you in Koth or any competition, but you do seem to talk big.  I don't see how ventrilo or teamspeak would make us compensate for a lack of skill... :headscratch:

I wish it was interesting enough for me to sub in again, but this thread represents well the state of the game. Lots of talk, no action.

Junky would smite you.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
We'll take your squadron more seriously when you take the training wheels off your Spitfires.

because the 109 is a difficult ride ?  :rofl good one

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
If we're not going to use any of the metrics available to determine who's the actual best squad, maybe this thread should be called "Which is coolest squad in AH?"

I would concede defeat on that topic:

- we mostly fly allied planes and like to win
- we have a giant troll anklehumper attached
- some of us are a bit cheeky and provocative

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
because the 109 is a difficult ride ?  :rofl good one

The 109 isn't a difficult ride, it's the best ride!  :P :banana: :banana: :old: :cheers:

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
The Few, because that's what SirNuke wants somebody other than Midway to say.

Are you happy now?
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
The Few, because that's what SirNuke wants somebody other than Midway to say.

Are you happy now?
Actually yes. :D
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »

For those of you who have asked me to reply and also  for those giving the nod to JG11 - Thank you - it is appreciated and more so due to the nature of the unit, and the restrictions and particulars involved in being a member of the Sonderstaffel.  So for the sacrifices my guys have made over the years and their dedication to our mission - We Thank you.

‘Best’ of course is completely subjective.  And I think Ammo is just having a bit of fun with this thread, but as mentioned above, I’ll give my thoughts here for the sake of those offering theirs.  Guys new to the game may have yet to even hear of some of the squads mentioned here, and time in game, personal interest, and personal recognition of what makes a ‘best’ anything…is always particular to the individual.

Now, when I came to the game in 2005, 4 squadrons stood out as those who were dominating the airspace of AH.

The Arabian Knights, The Blue Knights, The Army of Muppets, and the 56th Fighter Group.  One of these units alone could tie up an entire map, and many have been the times these units simply dominated the game play.  There were and are, and always will be other excellent units as well, but those 4 made an impression on me for the following reason:

They gave a new player, and a new CO a fair shake.

Guys like (AKDog and AKWxman - AK’s)  - ( Xargos, Steve, M00t - AoM) - (Nomde, Yucca, - 56th) and (Slapshot, Killnu, Karaya - BK’s) and others too, all gave me a shot when I was just the latest Luftnoob to create another Jag.  Helpful, supportive and excellent role models, I looked at all these squads and what made them ‘Best’ to me…and tried to incorporate as much as I could from them, into my own efforts at building a ‘Best’ Squadron.  For these reasons the above will always be the Greatest Squadrons in AH of all time - to this player.

Now all things change.  Squads not only come and go…but ebb and flow as well, as far as memberships, goals, active game time, level of presence…etc…etc…

My MA time is not what it used to be, and having never been a base capturing type, I base my opinions on other factors outside of this bucket.  Fighter performance, teamwork, mission success rate, and behavior both in game and here on the bbs.  I can only really base an opinion on actions taking place in the Friday Night Squadron Operations Arena…as that is where I focus my attention and efforts, and measure my peers from as well. Not only…is it where the real squadron abilities can be showcased, to succeed a squad must exhibit certain qualities and skills that I value over those needed to succeed in the MA.  Again…this is my opinion and m/o…and doesn’t mean it should be anyone else’s or is necessarily the only, or correct one.

There are many good squadrons in FSO and in the game.  If I was forced to pick just one…and erased everything in my mind except present day performance and success rates…I would choose from the perspective of the most challenging and difficult foemen I have faced on Friday nights the last few years.

This Squadron would be - G3-MF.

<S>
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
      • 8th AAF Squadron Website
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
      I have been following this post for past couple of days and pretty much agree with all that has been said. Its obvious the best squads are the ones that have been around for awhile. Being a "newer" CO myself I understand why that is mostly because its so hard to get talented people at all because everyone gravitates to these Squads that have been around and do have such good players. I have been back to the game for a little over a year now (after a 11 year hiatus). Most of my time has been spent on the Knights so I don't have a real broad stroke of all the Squadrons out there.

I would have to vote the 56th FG though as my top, they are packed with talented sticks and they always seem to be right in the middle of the action in the MA. Though I hate that they change countries (cause that means I will die many times to them) I think it also adds to what makes them so good they experience all that there is to see from the different sides of the globe. Personally too I have had them reach out to me and offer to help my small little group in whatever endeavors we embark upon.

Just to add a few more thoughts though I have had some good experiences with the FB's and they are very goal oriented in terms of doing whats best for the country, whether its porking ords and troops to running big missions to take bases or hit strats. POTW always seem to be posting up good finishes all the time as well and some really great people that are fun to play with in both those squadrons. Also have always been encouraged by the CHawks who have some great people playing for them who are always fun to fly with.

It is a hard thing though to pick just one squadron because there is so many that have been around for so long and stood the test of time such as Stampf eluded to. There are so many different factors that can play into it from raw talent of players, teamwork, performance in other aspects of the game i.e. FSO or Scenarios, to something as simple as they are a friendly group that tries to help out all people in the game whether new or not. Something to consider I would think is how they are in the community not just performance, is it a group that helps new players out, do they encourage and help new CO's by trying to hold them accountable and show them the way to lead their group so that the newer Squads might be able to sustain their lives and add to the community as a whole such as was done for Stampf in his earlier days. Its kind of a testament to all the bigger, better squads that are in this game when as a new CO I do have such a hard time trying to get people to join because I don't have the recognition that some of these groups do.

I personally SALUTE all you CO's out there that have a group of guys that earn the respect of other players in the game and try to maintain the integrity and idea of what Squadron play is all about. I know there are some great Squads out there I have seen it in my "short" time of being apart of this game and have had a lot of fun in running in Scenarios (AK's, 91stBG), the MA (TA's, JG's, 97th) it has been a pleasure and I have learned something from probably everyone of these groups.

8thBuff (CO)  8th AAF  "The Mighty 8th"  Squadron

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
When was that, like 4 years ago? I'm talking right here right now, all you guys make are excuses. I've never seen you in Koth or any competition, but you do seem to talk big.  I don't see how ventrilo or teamspeak would make us compensate for a lack of skill... :headscratch:

I wish it was interesting enough for me to sub in again, but this thread represents well the state of the game. Lots of talk, no action.

You have a Koth win? I know I do and that was a while back when I wasn't as good.

The Few has like 2 people who play regularly these days....not a very cool bunch if you ask me. What keeps me coming back to the game is my squad...maybe if your squad was as awesome as mine...you would still have a subscription....run along now...Triton answered your wish. Used to be The Few codename The Many horded the early morning hours....was really "Great"
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2013, 02:52:53 PM »
      I have been following this post for past couple of days and pretty much agree with all that has been said. Its obvious the best squads are the ones that have been around for awhile. Being a "newer" CO myself I understand why that is mostly because its so hard to get talented people at all because everyone gravitates to these Squads that have been around and do have such good players. I have been back to the game for a little over a year now (after a 11 year hiatus). Most of my time has been spent on the Knights so I don't have a real broad stroke of all the Squadrons out there.

I would have to vote the 56th FG though as my top, they are packed with talented sticks and they always seem to be right in the middle of the action in the MA. Though I hate that they change countries (cause that means I will die many times to them) I think it also adds to what makes them so good they experience all that there is to see from the different sides of the globe. Personally too I have had them reach out to me and offer to help my small little group in whatever endeavors we embark upon.

Just to add a few more thoughts though I have had some good experiences with the FB's and they are very goal oriented in terms of doing whats best for the country, whether its porking ords and troops to running big missions to take bases or hit strats. POTW always seem to be posting up good finishes all the time as well and some really great people that are fun to play with in both those squadrons. Also have always been encouraged by the CHawks who have some great people playing for them who are always fun to fly with.

It is a hard thing though to pick just one squadron because there is so many that have been around for so long and stood the test of time such as Stampf eluded to. There are so many different factors that can play into it from raw talent of players, teamwork, performance in other aspects of the game i.e. FSO or Scenarios, to something as simple as they are a friendly group that tries to help out all people in the game whether new or not. Something to consider I would think is how they are in the community not just performance, is it a group that helps new players out, do they encourage and help new CO's by trying to hold them accountable and show them the way to lead their group so that the newer Squads might be able to sustain their lives and add to the community as a whole such as was done for Stampf in his earlier days. Its kind of a testament to all the bigger, better squads that are in this game when as a new CO I do have such a hard time trying to get people to join because I don't have the recognition that some of these groups do.

I personally SALUTE all you CO's out there that have a group of guys that earn the respect of other players in the game and try to maintain the integrity and idea of what Squadron play is all about. I know there are some great Squads out there I have seen it in my "short" time of being apart of this game and have had a lot of fun in running in Scenarios (AK's, 91stBG), the MA (TA's, JG's, 97th) it has been a pleasure and I have learned something from probably everyone of these groups.

:aok :aok Great post.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
 I like and think all the AH squads are great.....except for the ones I don't.   :D  :bolt:
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2013, 01:37:17 AM »
I like and think all the AH squads are great.....except for the ones I don't.   :D  :bolt:

The "awesome one"  ;)

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:57 AM »
The "awesome one"  ;)

The "few" ones ?   :noid
Top Gun

Offline 1Canukk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
   Best squad in game , well it should really the one that makes you log on and look forward to fly with or against . For myself when FSO comes around , I always look at the Allies squad and see what is going thrown at us (JG11   :aok )and several always make me crab the joystick a little tighter.

Best squad , well I've stayed with Stampf and JG11 group for over 5 1/2 years , gets my vote , but again I'm partial it's what ever squad that gives you the fun  factor . so to all the squads big or small  :salute

JG11  Sonderstaffel , Geschwader Kommodore

The P51 D was made by the Gods for men to fly. 
 The FW190 D  was made by men, for Gods to fly .

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2013, 12:31:49 AM »
I've mostly been a loner during my time in AH so don't know much about squads except when I run into them.

I had the pleasure of flying in a couple of scenarios with JG11 and have run into a few of them in the MA from time to time.  They work together well, are great guys and are fun to fly with.

Muppets probably have the best pilots.  Depending on who you meet you might even get a fair one on one in even if other's loiter nearby but that's not always the case.

No others currently stand out.  Most of the rest are just horde squads.  Some are OK at it while others suck and killing the entire group is easy.  A very few use teamwork but make it fun to fight them win or lose.  I won't name names but I know who they are in each case.

So many have come and gone over the years there's no way to remember them all but honorable mention to LTAR's who held a unique niche as the best Ostwind squad for several years.

Finally I have to give a nod to the group I led in the BoB scenario; the 92 Squadron RAF Spitfires.  While not an official AH squad I had a great time leading that group.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.