Author Topic: Missions?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
Missions?
« on: November 17, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »
Okay, so I'm new, and want to get good at killing bombers, but I don't yet have an actual in-game profile( I have never played online) and I was wondering if there was a way to get staged missions to run offline after downloading them? Any and all help is welcome, thanks! :salute
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Missions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
Look in the missions forum for off line missions.

When you do go online you're just going to die. Offline practice won't prepare you for fighting people. Don't let that discourage you.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Look in the missions forum for off line missions.

When you do go online you're just going to die. Offline practice won't prepare you for fighting people. Don't let that discourage you.
OK, I think that came out a little too harsh for what FLS actually was trying to convey.

The online arena is difficult for a new player to survive in. Some offline practice is important to get the very basics and set up your view, controls and assign your keys to game functions in a convenient way. Once you are past that, offline missions will not prepare you very well to the arena game. You simply have to go out there and be prepared to get shot down - repeatedly. That is the only way to learn.

Forget about scores and statistics, put your ego aside in the first few tours and just try to figure out what is going on, while trying to have some fun doing it. Join missions and follow the instruction of the missions leader. Find a squadron to fly with (look at the forum section below) and make some friends. Advancement comes in little steps - in no time you will find out you can engage enemies and survive, at least for a few moves. Then you will be able to go in and out of combat even if you don't shoot anyone down. Kills will come later.

Dont waste time in offline play. AH is meant to be played online and the social interaction is an important part of the game. Then after accumulating some online time, you can join the forum wars :)

Welcome to AH.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:04:23 AM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
I think offline practice is a great idea but it can give you a false idea of how you'll do online if you don't have flight sim experience against people. Better to know up front that it will be challenging rather than a big shock when it happens. Training helps.  :D

Offline pwooly

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
Best way to fight bombers is to hit them and come in an angles where the guns can't reach you.  :salute
Unsung Legends

Offline SlidingHorn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
Best way to fight bombers is to hit them and come in an angles where the guns can't reach you.  :salute

...and know your bombers.  Had an unfortunate scenario the other day where I confused a Lanc (has a tail gun) with a B25C (no tail gun) - as I thought I was being clever & coming up from low & behind, I got blown to tiny bits. 

Now if only they had a "brain fart" smiley to put here.....
Flying As: MusicMan
Professional Lawn Dart / Resident Practice Drone

My beard can beat up your beard.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:35 AM »
...and know your bombers.  Had an unfortunate scenario the other day where I confused a Lanc (has a tail gun) with a B25C (no tail gun) - as I thought I was being clever & coming up from low & behind, I got blown to tiny bits. 

In that context, I think many players do not realize that the absolutely worst place (worse than dead 6) to be in is 6 oclock and slightly to one side (5:30, or 6:30 oclock) - then the rear, waist and top/bottom (either) gunners can hit you. For bombers with no belly gun, a zoom attack from directly below is good. Straight from above is not that bad because only the top gunner can hit you and aiming (and hitting) straight up is not as easy as it sounds. Both above/below expose the full area of the wings and engines which are the parts to aim for. The absolute best is to attack from the front and aim for the cockpit, but that is not easy to set up.

Against bomber pilots that use a lot of rudder and/or trying to ruin your angle by maneuvering - go for their drones. They will be drifted apart and most likely the gunner will be sitting in the lead plane. If you attack the drones it guarantees that the slaved drone guns are pointed no where near you and for the gunner in the lead plane it is much harder to hit someone who is not flying towards him.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »

Here you go  :D :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »
Okay, so I'm new, and want to get good at killing bombers, but I don't yet have an actual in-game profile( I have never played online) and I was wondering if there was a way to get staged missions to run offline after downloading them? Any and all help is welcome, thanks! :salute

Here ya go. General background and detailed instructions for fifteen offline missions, accompanied by a history of offline missions in Aces High 2:

http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/Ah2OfflineMissionsFullPage.htm

If you are using the current version of Aces High 2 (V2.31.3), then you might especially benefit from the additional details about my "PacMix" mission here (last link at the bottom of the page):

http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/PacMix01/Ah2PacMixMissionFullPage.htm

Also, check out this YouTube Video entitled "Aces High Offline Missions: Instructions for Version 2.31.3":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPvnYIQGWKM
 :salute
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:26:08 AM by bbosen »