Author Topic: I need people to shoot at me  (Read 544 times)

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
I need people to shoot at me
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
So as the topic suggests, I have started to work on defensive flying. I could use all the help I can get on this one.

Long story short... I need to work on defensive flying, not combat flying. Strictly evading guns when someone is saddled on my 6.

If you need to work on your gunnery skill set this is a great match up... I am not looking to dogfight... I am looking to let you shoot at me the whole time while I evade.

Shoot me a pm and we can set something up.

:salute

:cheers:
disclaimer:
I am not a trainer, I am not attempting to train players. I will help out as best as I can. If I do not know something I will tell you "I don't know, however I can or will find out the answer, let me find someone smarter than I"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:05:30 PM by deadstikmac »

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: I need people to shoot at me
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
deadstikmac,

You are welcome to ride with me while training on Tuesday and Wednesday nights 9 central.  Most of our time is usually spent on defence and reversals, so it may help you.

BigRat

When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
So as the topic suggests, I have started to work on defensive flying. I could use all the help I can get on this one.

Long story short... I need to work on defensive flying, not combat flying. Strictly evading guns when someone is saddled on my 6.

If you need to work on your gunnery skill set this is a great match up... I am not looking to dogfight... I am looking to let you shoot at me the whole time while I evade.

Shoot me a pm and we can set something up.

:cheers:
disclaimer:
I am not a trainer, I am not attempting to train players. I will help out as best as I can. If I do not know something I will tell you "I don't know, however I can or will find out the answer, let me find someone smarter than I"

Seems to me that all you need to do is fly in the DA at 2000 feet and you will get all the help you want.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:09:16 AM »
Strictly evading guns when someone is saddled on my 6.
I would be glad to assist, but I would like to make a suggestion.  Concentrate your efforts on gaining SA so you don't get saddled...  "Generally" speaking, once someone is locked on and within range there isn't much you can do.  Of course if you are in Spit, and the con is a 190 you can turn like crazy, but in equal planes, once saddled you are done. 

I have been working on getting ahead of the con and working for the reverse.  For example, yesterday I was defending against some incoming, when two 51's came in with a slight alt advantage.  I was in a C-hog, and the 51's were Redtop (no slouch) and Bosco.  They were working as a team, and were doing it quite well actually.  They tried every trick in the book (BNZ, drag and bag, a few rope attempts) to get me to commit slowing losing their advantage.  The odds eventually went against them so they decided to exit "stage left".  Point is, staying ahead of the fight is easier than trying to evade once they are locked on to your 6.  At that point, skill being equal, it may come down to the equipment match up, something I don't want to rely on. 

That being said, if you want some "what do I do against this plane when I am in this plane" (or more importantly what not to do), in my limited capacity I would be glad to help. 

Disclaimer: I am not a "trainer", nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:26:10 AM »
One piece of advice: learn how to fly your plane while looking out all of the views, especially top and rear. Take off, barrel roll, loop, split-s etc all while looking out the rear view. It's okay to peek up front to get oriented, but see how long you can sustain flying without looking at your forward view.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »
One piece of advice: learn how to fly your plane while looking out all of the views, especially top and rear. Take off, barrel roll, loop, split-s etc all while looking out the rear view. It's okay to peek up front to get oriented, but see how long you can sustain flying without looking at your forward view.

I'm pretty new, 6 months, and this is great advice.  I have these sequences that I practice every week.  (Does "every day" make me sound obsessed?)  I started out simple, practicing low yo-yo stick movements while trying to keep an eye on a barn below me at my 6, and then going to guns or bomb.  I'm working on the drones now offline, practicing stick movements for split-s, immelmans, and merges.  Good skill to develop.  One practice sequence I started offline is coming in fast at high 6 merge from a split-s, kicking rudder coming down, lining up, making a pass, rolling around, under, and over, and diving back inverted for another merge, all while looking at the target.  I have a similar low speed, on the deck sequence that I've written out, but haven't had a chance to do any evolutions yet.     
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
I would be glad to assist, but I would like to make a suggestion.  Concentrate your efforts on gaining SA so you don't get saddled...  "Generally" speaking, once someone is locked on and within range there isn't much you can do.  Of course if you are in Spit, and the con is a 190 you can turn like crazy, but in equal planes, once saddled you are done. 

I have been working on getting ahead of the con and working for the reverse.  For example, yesterday I was defending against some incoming, when two 51's came in with a slight alt advantage.  I was in a C-hog, and the 51's were Redtop (no slouch) and Bosco.  They were working as a team, and were doing it quite well actually.  They tried every trick in the book (BNZ, drag and bag, a few rope attempts) to get me to commit slowing losing their advantage.  The odds eventually went against them so they decided to exit "stage left".  Point is, staying ahead of the fight is easier than trying to evade once they are locked on to your 6.  At that point, skill being equal, it may come down to the equipment match up, something I don't want to rely on. 

Sound advice here.  What Scca's talking about should definitely be Plan A.

However, I'm a big believer in practicing for when things have gone horribly, horribly wrong too.  I agree with Scca that once they're saddled, you're in a bad spot.  If they're in something that turns better than you, I agree you're hooped 99% of the time.  If they're in the same plane or something that doesn't turn as well as you or has a significant roll disadvantage, I feel it's not a complete loss and worth practicing.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11