Author Topic: Change port layout  (Read 1044 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Change port layout
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
No aircraft without legit runways.  The only exception being the Storch, obviously.
so something like this would be ok right?

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 02:26:40 PM »
No aircraft without legit runways.  The only exception being the Storch, obviously.

Not sure what you mean by "legit' runways.

If planes took off in fields or dirt runways, then what makes them less than a "normal" base runway?
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "legit' runways.

If planes took off in fields or dirt runways, then what makes them less than a "normal" base runway?

Basically, I think ports should be primarily ports. If you're talking just non ordnance-carrying fighters, that includes the 109K, Ta-152, P-47M, Yak-9U, Yak-3, and Spit XIV.

All latewar, high-performance fighters, at least two of which you could argue are the best free fighters in the game.

If you restrict it to EW no ordnance fighters, you've still got the 109F (which can still fight with the best LW fighters), the P-40C, Hurricane Mk 1, C.202, Brewster, and Spit V. Effectively, this means you'll see about 60% of fighters lifted from ports being 109F's, a good 25% being Spit V's, and about 14% Brewsters. This would hardly get people into the worse fighters, and instead would serve only as a precedent for further expanding the air capabilities of ports and GV bases, which is honestly just a craptastic idea.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
Basically, I think ports should be primarily ports. If you're talking just non ordnance-carrying fighters, that includes the 109K, Ta-152, P-47M, Yak-9U, Yak-3, and Spit XIV.

All latewar, high-performance fighters, at least two of which you could argue are the best free fighters in the game.

If you restrict it to EW no ordnance fighters, you've still got the 109F (which can still fight with the best LW fighters), the P-40C, Hurricane Mk 1, C.202, Brewster, and Spit V. Effectively, this means you'll see about 60% of fighters lifted from ports being 109F's, a good 25% being Spit V's, and about 14% Brewsters. This would hardly get people into the worse fighters, and instead would serve only as a precedent for further expanding the air capabilities of ports and GV bases, which is honestly just a craptastic idea.

I see your point. 

I still think that we need 1 more VH, then another for PT boats though. 
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »
I see your point. 

I still think that we need 1 more VH, then another for PT boats though. 

I think 1 VH is fine, provided we move the Storch hanger away from it, and move the '88s.

Realistically, you'd need to have 3 or 4 to stop a horde, and adding a second VH just discourages small group action.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »
I think 1 VH is fine, provided we move the Storch hanger away from it, and move the '88s.

Realistically, you'd need to have 3 or 4 to stop a horde, and adding a second VH just discourages small group action.

Can't say I agree with that, but I see your point.   

Even with a small team of 3 you could take out 2 vhs.   1 for hangars 1 for guns then a troop carrier.

Not sure what else could be implemented other than what I have already said.  Ports as they are now are too easy to take. But I don't think having another VH would be a bad thing per say.  Considering V-bases have 4.           Even those V-bases don't have carriers, most of the time the fleet isn't by the port. And that doesn't exclude the fact that ports can easily be disabled.

Perhaps the answer is more AA guns?  But that would make the anti-anything-but-plane crowd upset.

Hmm...

What are the worst EW dogfight-type planes that we have?  Perhaps 1-2 of them could be available at ports?  *shrug* I don't know, just 'thinking' freely.

Trying to think of something that would make most happy with little consequences on the side, any ideas from what I have above?

:salute
HiTech

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »

Let me rephrase, looking back my wording might not have been clear. Some early/midwar aircraft with no ordance enabled. Doesn't matter if they could carry ord it would be as if there were no bombs/rockets available at the port to arm the aircraft. Also the slippery slope argument isn't the best to use against the idea since at least one map has ports with fully functioning airfields, which doesn't seem to be a terrible problem. As for what aircraft should be enabled here are my thoughts.

German:
Bf-109E/F/G2/G6
Fw-190A5
Storch

Japanese:
Ki-61
Ki-43
A6M2
A6M3

Italian:
C202
C205

British:
Spit I
Spit V
Spit IX
Hurri I
Hurri II

American:
F4F
Brewster
FM2
P-38G
F6F
P40(All Variants)
P39
P-47D11/D25
F4U-1

Russian:
I-16
Yak-7
Yak-9T
LA-5

This is primarily an air combat game. Anything that gets pilots out of wirbles and field guns and into aircraft is in my opinion wonderful
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:19:48 PM by ReVo »
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »
Fix the 88's with the high speed gearing & add a sight this would help go along way to solving many issues.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/88mm-antiaircraft-gun/index.html

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 11:36:21 PM »
Let me rephrase, looking back my wording might not have been clear. Some early/midwar aircraft with no ordance enabled. Doesn't matter if they could carry ord it would be as if there were no bombs/rockets available at the port to arm the aircraft. Also the slippery slope argument isn't the best to use against the idea since at least one map has ports with fully functioning airfields, which doesn't seem to be a terrible problem. As for what aircraft should be enabled here are my thoughts.

Kind of defeats the purpose of specialized base type to have so many aircraft enabled. I'd say it would also make them a tad too easy to defend, and would only encourage hording, which is bad under any and all circumstances.

And the slippery slope argument is perfectly valid, given that there is a Storch hanger at each and every vehicle base, and they aren't much different. Besides that, IIRC, those bases are actually full airfields with towns. It would be more accurate to say that it is an airfield with a port attached.

German:
Bf-109E/F/G2/G6
Fw-190A5
Storch

Japanese:
Ki-61
Ki-43
A6M2
A6M3

Italian:
C202
C205

British:
Spit I
Spit V

Spit IX
Hurri I
Hurri II

American:
F4F
Brewster
FM2

P-38G
F6F
P40(All Variants)
P39

P-47D11/D25
F4U-1 *hell no

Russian:
I-16
Yak-7

Yak-9T
LA-5

Reject out of hand
better alternative
still a bad idea

This is primarily an air combat game. Anything that gets pilots You meant to say "players", honest mistake out of wirbles and field guns and into aircraft is in my opinion wonderful

Provided its not at the expense of the GV's in any way shape or form, it is good. If it is, then it is bad, because it is actively harming the secondary (and quite sizable) portion of the game, and likely does not result in any serious improvement to the primary portion.

If it is the latter, then the only proper response HTC could make would be to implement spawnable US 90mm's with proximity fuzes. Or perhaps the German 128mm heavy FlaK cannon.

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 02:26:04 AM »
Kind of defeats the purpose of specialized base type to have so many aircraft enabled. I'd say it would also make them a tad too easy to defend, and would only encourage hording, which is bad under any and all circumstances.

Ports are already horded, and are generally an easy take. At least this might turn the usual gangbang into a real fight.

Provided its not at the expense of the GV's in any way shape or form, it is good. If it is, then it is bad, because it is actively harming the secondary (and quite sizable) portion of the game, and likely does not result in any serious improvement to the primary portion.

This will not harm Gvers in any way, there would be no bombs for them to whine about.

If it is the latter, then the only proper response HTC could make would be to implement spawnable US 90mm's with proximity fuzes. Or perhaps the German 128mm heavy FlaK cannon.

This is not what we need, there are already enough AAA guns in the game.

On a side note I absolutely meant to say pilots. This is primarily an air combat game.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:27:38 AM by ReVo »
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 05:50:30 AM »
Out of the list I think the zeros are fine, maybe the p40s. But not the ki43, period. Perhaps the spit 1. But I wouldn't use any others in that list though. 

Also, I am really... nervous about adding more guns that have proximity fuses.   I am a gunner, no doubt about it, but proximity fuses are a simple 'point and click' item, that take very little skill (if you can call it that) to use.        I personally want to get rid of proximity fuses, but that would leave CVs more exposed.

Plus, once you get good in the any gun that uses a proximity fuse (currently being 5-inch guns on the CV fleet) you can easily hit targets 7 k +   

At least with the 88 it requires more knowledge than simply "point and click", because if it didn't, then there would be many more gunners :)

:cheers:
HiTech

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »
+1 :aok

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
Fix the 88's with the high speed gearing & add a sight this would help go along way to solving many issues.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/88mm-antiaircraft-gun/index.html

Lyric's suggestion would be a great first step. It takes to long to get an 88 turned for proper defensive fire. The same could be said for the Wirbl and Osti. the addition of a better sight would also help. :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
Ports are already horded, and are generally an easy take. At least this might turn the usual gangbang into a real fight.

No, not true. Many times ports are attacked by a relative handful, specifically because its a port. Their offensive value is severely limited, and thus they are less attractive targets for the horde, who want to take a maximum number of bases in the shortest span of time, with the least risk to any of their cartoon pilots. From what I've seen more ports are successfully defended than are taken.

This is not what we need, there are already enough AAA guns in the game.
Debatable, but thats neither here nor there.

On a side note I absolutely meant to say pilots. This is primarily an air combat game.
No, you meant to say players. Dr 7, who is emphatically not a pilot, is just as valuable to HTC. The same holds true for EVERY person in the game who pays their $15 a month, regardless of what they do.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
Shore batteries with more overlap in fields of fire
Game handle: HellBuck