Author Topic: Reconnaissance aircraft in Aces High  (Read 469 times)

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Reconnaissance aircraft in Aces High
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »
Here is a “recon planes in AH” idea I constructed during my AM drives to work. As it is now, all of the field runways and vehicle bases are aligned the same way. This idea and recon plane introduction would probably require new maps. This wish may not be realistic, but hey, I WISH I had a private mountain lake with a floatplane, floatplane garage, and trout streams.

In an arena suited to recon ac, all of the fields would be aligned differently. They would also be randomly aligned each time a new map comes up. Example: Some small fields would have a n/s runway, others e/w, nw/se, etc. The field icon on the clipboard map would only designate the field type, not show the runway/ field alignment as it is now. The dots for towns would not be on the clipboard map either. It must be reconn’ed. The starts would be designated on the clipboard by a general icon, but a recon flight must be made in order to see the alignment of the factories.

Recon planes (F-5, Spit, Mossie, others) could fly over fields and take a picture with a level bombsight style camera. Once the recon pilot lands successfully, the pic would be available to their team. There should be limit to the film, maybe 5-10 pictures. Only pictures of fields would post. Criterion of a “good” recon pic could be that the entire field has to be in the frame when the pic is shot. Maybe we could come up with a method for low level recon as well.

We could view recon maps by right clicking on that field on the map. If available, the recon pic would show the field with a “N” (north) at the top of the picture. There could be a “town arrow” pointing from the airfield to the town location. Recon pics would stay up for a limited amount of time. They would not be available if the field is taken. There should also be a time limit for recon pics availability: when the map rolls, 12 hours, 24 hours?

This would create the need for carefully planned approaches and more realism, rather than having fields that are all aligned the same way like they are now where every small field has a sw/ ne runway.

Other incentives to make recon flights;

Perk Points upon successful landing, perhaps a quarter of what a fighter kill would be for each good recon pic. No points awarded for pics of fields that have already been reconn’ed, and no points for pictures of nothing.

The pilot’s handle would be in the corner the pic while it is up.

Deep penetration recon flights to back fields would be fun, as well as intercepting them. I would do both.

-Thanks for reading. ~S~ Buck
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
Re: Reconnaissance aircraft in Aces High
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »
Just so you're aware, the icon does not currently denote field orientation, nor are all fields oriented the same way. The icons are solely to denote field type (small, medium, large).

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
They're not all aligned the same way? When I plan level bombing runs by looking at the clipboard maps, they seem to be the same.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »
They're not all aligned the same way? When I plan level bombing runs by looking at the clipboard maps, they seem to be the same.

That's because on most maps, fields are following the standard orientation. But for example on Compello not all do, and then you will find the icon and the actual orientation being mismatched.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »
The mismatch is mildly annoying.   I for one wish they had multiple types of each airfield (S, M, and L). 

To make recon worthwhile, what you really need is to not know where the enemy HQ, Strats, and Airfields are located on the map until somebody overflies it with a recon bird.  An overflight reveals location but not type (ie - you know there is an airfield there, but until the recon bird gets home with the photos you don't know if it is a S, M, or L airfield.  (Or which type of S, M, or L field if we get multiple layouts).  If you wanted to give recon boys some idea of where to go, just lay a DF bearing on a radar to give him a course to fly until he finds something.   

Yes, I know this only works if we get new maps or some kind of variable map that changes (otherwise everyone just prints out a map and sticks it on the wall), but it would definitely add a new dimension to the game.   I can see a whole lotta folks getting to love the Mossie if we get recon cameras for it. 

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »
The mismatch is mildly annoying.   I for one wish they had multiple types of each airfield (S, M, and L). 

To make recon worthwhile, what you really need is to not know where the enemy HQ, Strats, and Airfields are located on the map until somebody overflies it with a recon bird.  An overflight reveals location but not type (ie - you know there is an airfield there, but until the recon bird gets home with the photos you don't know if it is a S, M, or L airfield.  (Or which type of S, M, or L field if we get multiple layouts).  If you wanted to give recon boys some idea of where to go, just lay a DF bearing on a radar to give him a course to fly until he finds something.   

Yes, I know this only works if we get new maps or some kind of variable map that changes (otherwise everyone just prints out a map and sticks it on the wall), but it would definitely add a new dimension to the game.   I can see a whole lotta folks getting to love the Mossie if we get recon cameras for it. 
To expand on that, how about all fields, ports, vase, and starts don't show on the map until they get photographed.
This sounds great, new map and no one knows the location of anything without recon.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »
To expand on that, how about all fields, ports, vase, and starts don't show on the map until they get photographed.
This sounds great, new map and no one knows the location of anything without recon.

until someone just screenshots the map after everything is mapped.

pointless.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
Well I have most maps in my head, not really pointless. But thanks for your help in developing this more.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »
Not pointless if the fields and strats are randomly oriented every time a map comes up.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
Not pointless if the fields and strats are randomly oriented every time a map comes up.

there's a reason why maps need to be created instead of just being random.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
the field placement would not be random, only the orientation would be random. recon planes would recon and determine orientation.

Sorry about the pm guncrasher, mistake.