Author Topic: Mobile (towed) Artillery  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Mobile (towed) Artillery
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 12:27:52 AM »
IMO, give it land gunner mode, but make it have a slight randomization in the exact aim point.

Say, it's accurate to 200 feet. Precise enough to hit a town, or a base, not precise enough to target a hanger by anything but luck. You would need a spotter or LOS to dial it in.

Or another option would be semi manual aiming. Give it a combination of sea mode and land mode. Take the view from sea gunner mode, and clean up the firing information area. Only display range in thousands of yards and azimuth of where the gun is currently pointing, and the information for the previous salvo. All firing information would be accurate to 3 decimal places (3 feet in terms of range, and about 2.5 seconds of arc)

When you click on the map, it will give you the firing information for the point you clicked, accurate to two decimal places (30 feet and about 30 seconds of arc), in a separate box below the current one. Let's call this the "firing computer"

The player has to manually lay the gun according to what the firing computer says, and reaim for recoil.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
IMO, give it land gunner mode, but make it have a slight randomization in the exact aim point.

Say, it's accurate to 200 feet. Precise enough to hit a town, or a base, not precise enough to target a hanger by anything but luck. You would need a spotter or LOS to dial it in.

Or another option would be semi manual aiming. Give it a combination of sea mode and land mode. Take the view from sea gunner mode, and clean up the firing information area. Only display range in thousands of yards and azimuth of where the gun is currently pointing, and the information for the previous salvo. All firing information would be accurate to 3 decimal places (3 feet in terms of range, and about 2.5 seconds of arc)

When you click on the map, it will give you the firing information for the point you clicked, accurate to two decimal places (30 feet and about 30 seconds of arc), in a separate box below the current one. Let's call this the "firing computer"

The player has to manually lay the gun according to what the firing computer says, and reaim for recoil.

I agree.  Give it "land mode", and give it plenty of spread built in.  HTC has done a well enough job with the naval guns and the spread they have, might as well bring it on over to the artillery. While the 8in guns can topple town buildings in 1 hit (direct or splash), I doubt we'll have an equal from a gv platform. 

In the short term I think HTC could experiment with this by giving us "land mode" ability with the SdKfz 251 and the 28cm rockets we currently have.  Thing is though, it had a max rang of 4500 yards, which would not be bad seeing as how that would force the SdKfz 251 to get off most spawn points to use them on an enemy town or field.  No spawn in/fire/tower out ability, or at least in very few cases.  Or, HTC could model the 15cm rockets that were also used by the 251's(15cm, 28cm, or 3.2cm rockets were used). The 15cm rockets had a range of 7500-8000 yards according to one source. More range and less oomph.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »

I agree.  Give it "land mode", and give it plenty of spread built in.  HTC has done a well enough job with the naval guns and the spread they have, might as well bring it on over to the artillery. While the 8in guns can topple town buildings in 1 hit (direct or splash), I doubt we'll have an equal from a gv platform. 

In the short term I think HTC could experiment with this by giving us "land mode" ability with the SdKfz 251 and the 28cm rockets we currently have.  Thing is though, it had a max rang of 4500 yards, which would not be bad seeing as how that would force the SdKfz 251 to get off most spawn points to use them on an enemy town or field.  No spawn in/fire/tower out ability, or at least in very few cases.  Or, HTC could model the 15cm rockets that were also used by the 251's(15cm, 28cm, or 3.2cm rockets were used). The 15cm rockets had a range of 7500-8000 yards according to one source. More range and less oomph.     

I like both of these ideas.

:aok   :aok
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »
Seems to me we already have the M3 and the  SKDFz251 to tow stuff. Even a jeep could tow an M1 howitzer.

We also have the ballistic models for the

M1/M3/M7
17 pounder ( complete with mount!)
Pak 41 & Pak 43 ( the latter also complete with mount)

We have land mode firing......

Obviously we have line of sight firing.......

You spawn towing the vehicle, travel to your spot, stop pointing the way you want the gun deployed and hit O.
 5 secs later you are sitting in your gun under a camo net and your vehicle 20 yards behind you. Icons off to all enemies.

Ludere Vincere

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 12:50:26 PM »
Seems to me we already have the M3 and the  SKDFz251 to tow stuff. Even a jeep could tow an M1 howitzer.

M1/M3/M7

You spawn towing the vehicle, travel to your spot, stop pointing the way you want the gun deployed and hit O.
 5 secs later you are sitting in your gun under a camo net and your vehicle 20 yards behind you. Icons off to all enemies.

+1

Perhaps make it so if flying less than a certain MPH you could see an icon if within say.. 200 yards?  So those P51s zooooooooming by can't see your icon if hugging the trees, the enemy player would have to take the time and actually look around  :D
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
At 200 yards an icon is not required IMO........
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
At 200 yards an icon is not required IMO........

:lol

Yeah I see your point.   Don't need a billboard with an arrow pointing   HERE

When it's right in front of you :)
HiTech

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »
     What busy little beavers those Redlegs are...5 seconds to deploy an artillery piece??
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
M1/M3/M7

None of those guns were used, at least in practice or in a SOP, for long range artillery work.  The LVT-4 with the 75mm gun is the only thing we have in AH that was used for indirect fire support.  Mind you, it fired the same exact shell as the M4 Sherman 75mm, but the sights and mount were the big difference (barrel length too).

Again, HTC could add the M7 Priest easy enough.  The chassis is here (M4), land mode is here, only the gun itself would need to be modeled (and upper hull of M7).

K.I.S.S.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
They were all towed artillery that was used......that we have ballistic models for.

I don't think this thread is soley limited to long range artillery.

For sure medium range ( land mode directed) artillery has a role here.
Ludere Vincere