Author Topic: More Organized European Time Events?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
More Organized European Time Events?
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »
There are very few European time events...

Scenario is the highlight but runs only 4 times a year.
SEC is very simplistic due to unlimited lives
This Day in WW2... runs once a year and has same "non-organised" spirit

What I mean more organized events with 1 or 2 lives strict rules, something like Saturday European Squadron Ops?

I understand that European hours have fewer numbers, so there wouldn't be 300+ participants of FSO, but yet I assume it maybe still popular enough.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: More Organized European Time Events?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
Check in with ASW (detch01 on the boards)
He's up to something pretty cool for the SEC.  Serious changes are coming to this particular event.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »

What I mean more organized events with 1 or 2 lives strict rules, something like Saturday European Squadron Ops?

I understand that European hours have fewer numbers, so there wouldn't be 300+ participants of FSO, but yet I assume it maybe still popular enough.

Depends on the setup, but If I remember correctly then rarely more than 2 lives are lost during a SEC because 2 hours duration and distance to target limits the number of sorties that can be flown. If the numbers stay as low as they are now in SEC then kicking players out in the middle of the event could lead to few encounters. More events and more players is always better. :aok
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline HB555

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »
Perhaps you might do better to outline something you have in mind, rather than say what isn't working for you?
Just a thought.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »
TDI actually runs 12 times a year - once a month!   :aok
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:41:36 PM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
TDI actually runs 12 times a year - once a month!   :aok

:confused:

Oooops. Yes, you right... Actually I meant once a month.

In any case I think I should probably clarify as I realize what I had written can be understood in different ways.

I meant organized by each side commander Axis or Allies (not the level of organization by CMs), i.e. usually SEC and TDI player behavior is much less "hierarchical" and usually does not have clear "command chain"

That what I had meant... Sorry if it was understood like a criticism of CM organization level - which by no means was.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »
:confused:

Oooops. Yes, you right... Actually I meant once a month.

In any case I think I should probably clarify as I realize what I had written can be understood in different ways.

I meant organized by each side commander Axis or Allies (not the level of organization by CMs), i.e. usually SEC and TDI player behavior is much less "hierarchical" and usually does not have clear "command chain"

That what I had meant... Sorry if it was understood like a criticism of CM organization level - which by no means was.

Artik,

Let's get right to the point and stop playing on words, backtracking, and apologizing. You want to schedule an event to your liking and you want GREAT support from the AH community at large. Right?

Well, just ask for it. The CM team will always be here to support awesome AH events. You need players to buy in to your event and future events of the same or like structure.

You need to be more pointed in your questions. example...

Who would be willing to be the Israeli side CO for Artik's event?

Who is will to be the Arab side CO for Artik's event?

Ask them to build out their rosters and hand them a set of rules.

If you want your event to happen as you have written it. You had better beat the bushes for player support.

Jumping on the CMs about what their events are not doing for you is not going to help you.

Make your appeal to the AH community to see who's willing to support your event.

The CMs are here to assist you in creating, planning, posting, and hosting a GREAT AH event.

Remember, It is not just the history and the type of event that gets the players in. It is the power of historical immersion that brings AH patrons to an event.

It is the host and COs that keep them engaged and coming back for more.

What you want takes a lot of work. Are you willing to put in the work to get what you want?

AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
Let's get right to the point and stop playing on words, backtracking, and apologizing. You want to schedule an event to your liking and you want GREAT support from the AH community at large. Right?

Well, just ask for it. The CM team will always be here to support awesome AH events. You need players to buy in to your event and future events of the same or like structure.

You need to be more pointed in your questions. example...

Who would be willing to be the Israeli side CO for Artik's event?

Who is will to be the Arab side CO for Artik's event?

Dear swareiam/Redtail7,

I want to make it clear. This thread I had opened has nothing to do with my other IAF vs REAF event proposal.

Yes, I want to put this particular type of events. But the Arab-Israeli AH event would run once maybe twice in different reincarnation and that's it (it is not BoB, Big Week, Perl Harbor or other iconic event that you can run any time).

This thread wasn't opened because I want to have an  Arab-Israeli event. It was opened, as I mentioned in the private message, because there is lack of European time zone events.

Take a look, in US friendly time zone there are: FSO almost every week, snapshots - twice a week, and even European Scenario are fully playable for US residents (as it is Saturday afternoon).

The players from European time zones do not have this luxury... We have SEC once a week. And several times a year we have a scenario (also it is absolutely great) and WDI once a month. More than that, the AvA arena is barley alive and if there are some players in US time, there are none in European.

That is what I'm talking about. European time zone players have very few options to participate in the events with historical context.

Jumping on the CMs about what their events are not doing for you is not going to help you.
Remember, It is not just the history and the type of event that gets the players in. It is the power of historical immersion that brings AH patrons to an event.

I'm not jumping on the CMs... Actually, I think that I contribute my fair share for the community to improve the historical spirit (see the thread about map making tool I had created) doing what and where I can help.

I'm taking about European time zone players having more historical events.

What you want takes a lot of work. Are you willing to put in the work to get what you want?

1st of all if I was sitting, doing nothing and just talking about how cool would it be to have events it was different. But I'm actually trying to do what I can and what experience and knowledge I have (programming, historical research etc)

So please tell me (and this is a real honest question - not a sarcasm)

- What I'm doing so wrong that I get this long reply from you?
- Tell me what should I do to make things happen. Finally I'm not the CM and I don't have the perspective you have. For example, tell me, honestly, how can I help to run European time zone Snapshots?

If there are anything I can do, I'd glad to..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:49:46 AM by artik »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
Artik,

Excuse all my questions, but I think it will help with figuring things out.

• Do you have a guess as to how many Euro-timezone players you could get? (if 16 or less, a custom arena would suffice)
  • What would be the preferred time for an event, and would it run for 1 hour or 2 hours?
  • How often would it run - weekly, bi-monthly?
  • Would it require squads and pre-registration, or be walk-on? (sounds like you're leaning towards squads and pre-registration based on previous posts about CiC and coordinated plans).
  • Would you be willing to work with a CM to design the event and advertise it to the masses?
  • If there are no available CMs that could work the event at the time you prefer, what then?

I think it would be great to have "regular" events in European, US, Pacific/Asia time zones, but if the participation numbers are too low and/or we have no CM available to work those times, it's a little difficult to put together.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »

So please tell me (and this is a real honest question - not a sarcasm)

- What I'm doing so wrong that I get this long reply from you?
- Tell me what should I do to make things happen. Finally I'm not the CM and I don't have the perspective you have. For example, tell me, honestly, how can I help to run European time zone Snapshots?

If there are anything I can do, I'd glad to..

Artik,

You are doing nothing wrong. I apologize if you feel that you are getting a hard time from me. I am only redirecting you to what you want. There is no reason why you cannot use current programs to host your events. As I have mentioned to you before, your current design and event prep is about a 1/3 completed.

At this time I am simply saying this. You don't need a new program. You need support for WHEN you want your event to run. If you want to do a Saturday SNAPSHOT at 11:00 am EST or a Sunday European Campaign event at 8:30 am EST, you will need a supporting player base that will give grounds to the CM CO appealing to Skuzzy to get you a new time slot for those events. The lack of player base will get you nothing.

Beat the bushes for player and you may yet get what you want. The CM Staff will try to support the players in almost any type of event that they show interest in.  :aok
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
Hey Artik,
    I've just taken over the SEC Team and while I'm not going to go into detail about what I'm up to, there are changes coming in the SEC event that will go towards your points here. Planning an event properly takes time and I won't go into detail about when it will debut, but rest assured that there will be more to the SEC events in the new year.

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »
@ImDot, @RedTail7 and @asw...

Thanks for your responses.

I clearly understand that European times have lower numbers and its up to "me" or the community to bring players... without them there wouldn't be any event.

I'd glad to help or do whatever I can.

Thank you guys

:rock

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
SEC was a very strong and stable event back when Sasmox was running it, primarily due to his location but mostly due to his efforts recruiting players and planning early.  It was designed as "The" Euro friendly event that ran far more frequently than the large scale scenarios.  The event did dwindle over the years and it is no fun at all for the event designers and participants if no one shows up.  Flossy has ran some great events, Redtail has ran some great events, but the SEC needs a solid plan and design, unique to the event itself.  It needs a long term vision.  It needs a reason to log into the SEC and fly because the outcome is important, not simply because the day is free and one might as well fly.
With that, ASW has come up with a new (Minor Spoiler Alert) extended campaign design to let a war evolve over time.  It's going to start small as the audience is small. It will grow over time with the success of the event and increased participation.
The event won't be snapshot based, free for all, with last minute command choices.  It will need leadership, it will need plans, and it will need teamwork.  I'm looking forward to seeing SEC get growing, and it was perfectly timed.  Just as I was thinking about what we could do with SEC because I wanted Redtail on the Scenario Team, ASW and I talked and he thought it was time to come back to the CM team and he had this idea about an event.  It was a perfect fit for the "new" SEC.
I think you all are going to be pleasantly surprised.  There is a great deal of effort going into the redesign of the event.  Give it some time, patience, and your support. 
This is going to be fun  :aok
ROC

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
SEC was a very strong and stable event back when Sasmox was running it, primarily due to his location but mostly due to his efforts recruiting players and planning early.  It was designed as "The" Euro friendly event that ran far more frequently than the large scale scenarios.  The event did dwindle over the years and it is no fun at all for the event designers and participants if no one shows up.  Flossy has ran some great events, Redtail has ran some great events, but the SEC needs a solid plan and design, unique to the event itself.  It needs a long term vision.  It needs a reason to log into the SEC and fly because the outcome is important, not simply because the day is free and one might as well fly.
With that, ASW has come up with a new (Minor Spoiler Alert) extended campaign design to let a war evolve over time.  It's going to start small as the audience is small. It will grow over time with the success of the event and increased participation.
The event won't be snapshot based, free for all, with last minute command choices.  It will need leadership, it will need plans, and it will need teamwork.  I'm looking forward to seeing SEC get growing, and it was perfectly timed.  Just as I was thinking about what we could do with SEC because I wanted Redtail on the Scenario Team, ASW and I talked and he thought it was time to come back to the CM team and he had this idea about an event.  It was a perfect fit for the "new" SEC.
I think you all are going to be pleasantly surprised.  There is a great deal of effort going into the redesign of the event.  Give it some time, patience, and your support. 
This is going to be fun  :aok

Roc, with this new campaign is it going to be similar to a scenario with pilots assigned to a particular fighter/bomber group? If so sign me up and if you need someone to help recruit for this count me in. I'd like to help lead one of these squadrons if possible but sadly I'm a college student who is home about every other week-to every three weeks/ or when there is fall break, Christmas break, spring break, and summer break.

But otherwise I'd love to help with this it sounds pretty awesome  :salute
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »
Roc, with this new campaign is it going to be similar to a scenario with pilots assigned to a particular fighter/bomber group?
That is the goal :)  ASW, the new team lead, will be grabbing you I am sure.  You've always proven to be a valuable part of a scenario and I know you'll enjoy this.  Thanks!
ROC