Author Topic: An actual crew for the Wirbel?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: An actual crew for the Wirbel?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
The wirb I hit was from behind after I watched it shooting at another plane, I hit it perfectly in the rear of the turret smoking it, as I flew on past it has just fine apart from the smoke and proceeded to shoot the s$$t out of me, I just find it a complete joke I can 1 shot kill a lot of tanks with a dedicated tank buster's uber guns (I will drop the DU gag for the sake of any nerds reading) but I cannot kill the crew of an open top flak with it, I call BS, I think its been modelled like that as a concession to the GV crowd same as the 600yd range.

Some film I think is needed to see what is going on. :aok

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »
So unlike in the game, they could actually see the Wirbles before getting shot down by them. 

Well?  :D

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »
Well wtg you have proved absolutely nothing there, offline I (and anyone else) can 1 shot kill every GV on the field including the wirb with con-sumate ease in a Stuka. Now go to the MA and try your test its a whole different ballgame

I think that proves everything actually.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
Some film I think is needed to see what is going on. :aok

I will keep the film running but probably a better idea would be a proper test in a custom arena if I can get a volunteer who is bored enough.

I think that proves everything actually.

Yes, offline with MA settings except ammo count.
And before anything starts: There is no different damage model offline. We used offline tests in the pasts to find GV armor bugs together with Pyro (for example the top armor impact angle bug).

You've given me a 'test' exactly as I have described in earlier in the thread! Can you read? Go back and read it, so yes I got the turret smoking by shooting it in the turret but it still fires regardless and still smokes regardless, this is not a one off its prettty common, how do you know exactly what damage you did to the wirb offline know it all?

"And I call BS on the usual conspiracy theory reflex" this is laughable, like HTC have not made concessions to the GV crowd by reducing the visible range I mean its pretty clear to anyone with a brain that it was to make it easier to GV thats why it happened, but knowing that you think it was improbable that it might do the same in other areas  :rolleyes:

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
I will keep the film running but probably a better idea would be a proper test in a custom arena if I can get a volunteer who is bored enough.

You've given me a 'test' exactly as I have described in earlier in the thread! Can you read? Go back and read it, so yes I got the turret smoking by shooting it in the turret but it still fires regardless and still smokes regardless, this is not a one off its prettty common, how do you know exactly what damage you did to the wirb offline know it all?

"And I call BS on the usual conspiracy theory reflex" this is laughable, like HTC have not made concessions to the GV crowd by reducing the visible range I mean its pretty clear to anyone with a brain that it was to make it easier to GV thats why it happened, but knowing that you think it was improbable that it might do the same in other areas  :rolleyes:

Concessions to the gv crowd?  You think they put the icons where they are to appease the gv crowd?  Seriously?  I think the icons STILL favor aircraft. 

Um... if the wirby is smoking and it is still firing then 1 of 2 things (or both) is occurring: possibly you didn't damage the turret but rather the engine.  It happens, trust me.  The smoke appears to rise up in the same place.  Or, it is the front hull MG that it firing for decoy purposes.  That happens a lot too.  I do a LOT of testing of tank guns, tank armor, etc, using both HE and AP rounds, and try and determine a "hit point" value for some gv's.  It take but a few pings from a .30 cal MG to render the gun on the Wirby, Osty, or M16 damaged and unusable.  A single 20mm hit will render the gun damaged.  Put enough damage INSIDE the turret and you can destroy the unit if you hit the hull enough.

Dont be so quick to point fingers and make broad swipes at the intelligence of HTC or certain players who test and test this stuff again.  Offline, online, MA, TA, etc.  You're not the first to bring this up and wont be the last.

Now... suck it up cupcake and go enjoy the game and may you have the serenity to accept the things YOU can not change, the courage to change the things YOU can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  OK?   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »
Shot for shot, I've found the Stuka G-2 to be the most effective at busting tanks.  I don't know if it because of the projectile composition or the weight/velocity thing, or both.  Maybe it could be an accuracy thing, trajectory related, I don't know.

My guess that's because of collimator gunsight on ju87.
AH: impulse9

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
Ok gotta admit with wirbel and osti I don't know if I have caused the turret to smoke or the engine to smoke half the time. This is even with 50cal and 20mm. I know the engine hatch is 11mm armor and the rear end is 20mm armor for the panzer chassis that both flack are mounted to. But the chances of hitting at other than an angle from defelction off the turret or during a diving attack is miniscule. 

With the IL2 generally I dive from about 3k above them and shoot to disable the gun. On the few occasions I use a shallow attack, about half I've watched all of my hit sprites be into the turret, get the flaker smoking. Then as I pull off, it cuts my wing off. This happens enough with lone flakers without supplies around to cause me to wonder. Then again the 37mm could be deflecting down into the engine compartment.

Pervert, just like you filmed the D9 radiator bug. This looks like another film session for you. Every D9 pilot in my squad thanks you for your earlier service to the game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19:05 PM »
The wirbles were excellent weapons, the equal of any other AA vehicle of the war.

No not quite the Germans stopped making them for the Ostwind because it was found to be a better AA platform. :aok

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »
No not quite the Germans stopped making them for the Ostwind because it was found to be a better AA platform. :aok

Valid point. But it was still an exellent weapon.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 04:28:28 AM »
Perv leave me a message in pms and ill come be a target for ya in custom arena  :aok

I too have hit wirbs in top of turret seen them smoke pulled away to get wing sawn off by the same smoking wirb.

Maybe if it is deflecting into the engine and causing that to smoke a different colour smoke for different critical components hit would help. Say black for engine and grey for turrets maybe ?

EatG
The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 04:35:43 AM »
Never mind been covered
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:19:34 AM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 04:49:05 AM »
You sure it wasn't the pintle that got you after you passed? That happens very regularly, I've put enough of the pintle's rounds in many planes head on and going away. Rather easy to do, but of course the angle is limited. Or as mentioned, you got the engine?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »
I think it might be a problem with the hit packets being lost/delayed....
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »
Concessions to the gv crowd?  You think they put the icons where they are to appease the gv crowd?  Seriously?  I think the icons STILL favor aircraft. 

Um... if the wirby is smoking and it is still firing then 1 of 2 things (or both) is occurring: possibly you didn't damage the turret but rather the engine.  It happens, trust me.  The smoke appears to rise up in the same place.  Or, it is the front hull MG that it firing for decoy purposes.  That happens a lot too.  I do a LOT of testing of tank guns, tank armor, etc, using both HE and AP rounds, and try and determine a "hit point" value for some gv's.  It take but a few pings from a .30 cal MG to render the gun on the Wirby, Osty, or M16 damaged and unusable.  A single 20mm hit will render the gun damaged.  Put enough damage INSIDE the turret and you can destroy the unit if you hit the hull enough.

Dont be so quick to point fingers and make broad swipes at the intelligence of HTC or certain players who test and test this stuff again.  Offline, online, MA, TA, etc.  You're not the first to bring this up and wont be the last.

Now... suck it up cupcake and go enjoy the game and may you have the serenity to accept the things YOU can not change, the courage to change the things YOU can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  OK?
   :aok

Dear God, I'm getting all teary eyed there thanks for the life changing advice  :aok

The first clue to the crew not being modelled as a crew would be...they aren't actually there, ever wondered how someone got an instant pilot kill on an aircraft? thats because it hit the pilot right in the head, there are hit zones mapped onto the 3d model, now lets look at the location of the crew. The only place I can imagine a round possibly not killing a member of the crew is a centre strike on the gun from the front at a low angle, every other angle from the top or a round pentrating the turret is going to kill at least one of the crew

You could say if it was modelled with a crew that even a chuted guy with a .45 could headshot the crew completely disabling the wirb, I find it interesting that in your passage you also seem to be in denial of the need for a crew. You could say that vehicle supplies for a wirb fixing the gun also proves the non existence of the crew in the modelling, or you could look at it for what it is a concession for GVers (air supplys anyone?), or a clandestine person resurrection kit.

Perv leave me a message in pms and ill come be a target for ya in custom arena  :aok

You might regret that  :D but I'll take you up on that offer Eat when I have the time I will test it and post the results here. Maybe I'm wrong and they are modelled like people but just invisible I guess we will find out.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »
Dear God, I'm getting all teary eyed there thanks for the life changing advice  :aok

The first clue to the crew not being modelled as a crew would be...they aren't actually there, ever wondered how someone got an instant pilot kill on an aircraft? thats because it hit the pilot right in the head, there are hit zones mapped onto the 3d model, now lets look at the location of the crew. The only place I can imagine a round possibly not killing a member of the crew is a centre strike on the gun from the front at a low angle, every other angle from the top or a round pentrating the turret is going to kill at least one of the crew

(Image removed from quote.)

You could say if it was modelled with a crew that even a chuted guy with a .45 could headshot the crew completely disabling the wirb, I find it interesting that in your passage you also seem to be in denial of the need for a crew. You could say that vehicle supplies for a wirb fixing the gun also proves the non existence of the crew in the modelling, or you could look at it for what it is a concession for GVers (air supplys anyone?), or a clandestine person resurrection kit.

You might regret that  :D but I'll take you up on that offer Eat when I have the time I will test it and post the results here. Maybe I'm wrong and they are modelled like people but just invisible I guess we will find out.

I still do not understand.  You put a couple of rounds into the open turret of a wirble and you take out the turret. Admittedly this is not as easy as it sounds when flying at several hundred miles an hour, but if a round or two makes it into the top of the turret, you smoke it.