Author Topic: My PC has DIED.  (Read 903 times)

Offline wiskyfog

• Copper Member
My PC has DIED.
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
Well, after ten years my HP has gone to cyberheaven...But I wantto ressurect it with new goodies.I need a MOBO, processor,the model is the Pavillion d4000e found here:   http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=90883&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=471693
The Alchemists-- "Always brewin up sumptin"

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: My PC has DIED.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
From that money that is required to resurrect a 10 years old PC, you could almost buy a decend one whats only 3 years old. A puter is not a car what brings you from A to B, even when its 20 years old.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »
From that money that is required to resurrect a 10 years old PC, you could almost buy a decend one whats only 3 years old. A puter is not a car what brings you from A to B, even when its 20 years old.
+1. Since it wouldn't worth it to restore the original build, the only usable part would be the case, which doesn't look like a well breathing design compared to many new ones starting from $30. Fitting a 10" video card might also be an impossible task. If you can find a second hand motherboard for it, the price would be nominal and you'd be able to build a nice desktop for your granny. With some Linux distro it would be safe and simple to maintain, suitable for basic computing such as banking, e-mailing, officing and surfing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
Fitting a 10" video card might also be an impossible task.

That's what God made Tin Snips for!
Life is Hard, But it's even HARDER when your Stupid- John Wayne

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »
HP cases only work with with HP mobos.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »
HP cases only work with with HP mobos.

semp
Not quite true. At least all of the recent (= post win98 era) HP tower desktops have been standard at least on the motherboard side. Some of their PSU's were of different shape, though, especially in the professional workstation models, but even they have become mainline.

There's one thing to look at when refurnishing a HP case with a different motherboard, though: Many HP cases have bulges with screw holes instead of detachable feet. Some of them have the said bulges also below the processor, designed for secure mounting of a certain type of cooler. Of course they may cause shortcuts if their placing isn't suitable for the new motherboard, in which case pieces of electric tape will help. But basicly they are standard, often micro-ATX or the upside down version of the same size.

A totally different thing is the HP installation media and a non-HP motherboard (applicable for any other brand). They don't mix. A brand specific OEM license code on the case will usually work with a generic Windows installation media of the same type, though.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni