Author Topic: 32bit vs 64bit  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
Re: 32bit vs 64bit
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
Most people will not exceed 8 Gb ram use in their typical tasks (desktop, gaming) so 16 gigs is more than enough unless you use very heavy applications on your computer.

with ea nu OS since 3.1 in 1993, iv doubled the ram.
xp had 4 vista-64 had 8, and W7-64 will have 16.
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:39 PM »
with ea nu OS since 3.1 in 1993, iv doubled the ram.
xp had 4 vista-64 had 8, and W7-64 will have 16.

Unless you do heavy editing of large binary stuff like video, audio, or graphics, all Windows will do with the extra RAM is use it as hard disk cache.  Which is not all that bad a use for it, really.  Although personally, I'd save the $100 from the second 8 GB of RAM and put it toward a better video card.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
Unless you do heavy editing of large binary stuff like video, audio, or graphics, all Windows will do with the extra RAM is use it as hard disk cache.  Which is not all that bad a use for it, really.  Although personally, I'd save the $100 from the second 8 GB of RAM and put it toward a better video card.

760s not bad.

toms recommended it.
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline ELD66

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 12:12:58 AM »
32bit cannot use all of the power that most CPU's can use. So 64bit was introduced, depending on the spec's of your PC it will either have a major advantage or none at all.

As for windows systems and memory allotment's,
Win 7
Basic 8gb, good for most games.
Pro 16gb, Even better for games.
Ultimate 196gb. < Most PC's useless above 16gb unless you do video rendering, or your motherboard, cpu, gpu are all geared for playing games at max performance.
E1Diablo in game

Member of JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
With more than 12 gb you normally dont not need any pagefile under normal cicumstances, which in return makes the comp. faster.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »
For what its worth, Classic Shell is what I installed for my wife on her Win8 laptop.

It most certainly does not act at all like Win7.  To claim it does is pretty egregious false advertising.

Win8 always wants to go back to its tablet interface.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 02:48:13 AM »
For what its worth, Classic Shell is what I installed for my wife on her Win8 laptop.

It most certainly does not act at all like Win7.  To claim it does is pretty egregious false advertising.

Win8 always wants to go back to its tablet interface.

Excuse me? That makes no sense at all. The only time it will possibly go back to the tablet interface is if you use some function that is hotwired to use it. All regular functions happen on regular desktop after installing classic shell. It even boots directly to the desktop.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »
Excuse me? That makes no sense at all. The only time it will possibly go back to the tablet interface is if you use some function that is hotwired to use it. All regular functions happen on regular desktop after installing classic shell. It even boots directly to the desktop.
Every time you exit an application it goes to the Win8 tile interface.  There are other Win8isms as well.

So far as I can tell the only thing Classic Shell does is give a crappy version of the Win7 start menu and a desktop at start.  Everything else remains Win8.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:06:58 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
Every time you exit an application it goes to the Win8 tile interface.  There are other Win8isms as well.

So far as I can tell the only thing Classic Shell does is give a crappy version of the Win7 start menu and a desktop at start.  Everything else remains Win8.

LOL no it doesn't unless you use metro applications which naturally will close to the metro screen. Give me one example where you use an app and it closes to metro screen pls.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone