Author Topic: Stab JG54 109F4  (Read 4521 times)

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
Re: Stab JG54 109F4
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
glad to see somebody put the correct green on this aircraft...can you imaging white numbers on a whitewashed aircraft,lol...thank goodness devil posted the picture.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
If it were black wouldn't it match the color of the iron cross black?

Read the post again.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
Read the post again.

:lol

Well, here is my PDF file. Feel free to make changes where you see applicable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6idoZKc0FideXM5Mm5xcG8wYWs/edit?usp=sharing

NOTE : It will show up as blurry in the google viewer, but if you open it in Photoshop it should show up as the correct resolution.

Have fun :cheers:

Top Gun

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 01:18:02 PM »
Sorry to say this Ratio, but although your skins are nice, the panel lines look too dark.

I will tone them down, thanks for the feedback.  :aok
Top Gun

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
Top Gun

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
glad to see somebody put the correct green on this aircraft...can you imaging white numbers on a whitewashed aircraft,lol...thank goodness devil posted the picture.

Another learned historian.  :lol

When Whitewash was applied over the entire top and sides....Black was used. Seen on his Fw here:

You all carry on though.  We should have a hanger full of Il2 cartoon skins soon.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
I did what you said with the Mottling but it just looks the same, I am not understanding what you are telling me to do. Actually really confused, cause when I did it I noticed it looks exactly like the G-6 and I don't know how to make it as if you are asking me to.

EDIT : I used the same image from the history book that I have.
Imagine looking at this aircraft from the bottom, it will look the same with the whitewash as it did before the whitewash was painted on. In short, the bottom is not white, it is either RLM 65 or RLM 76, depending on the base scheme. Given that the canopy bars were not given a whitewash, then you can make a reasonable guess on the scheme underneath. My guess is that this aircraft came from the tory in the 70,71,65 scheme. Therefore, you should paint the bottom of this skin with RLM 65, and the area around the canopy would be RLM 70. Hope that better explains what I've been getting at.

Devil...that's black not green.

Whitewash Stab always went from White to Black.  It's not going to show the same shade as the Balkenkreuz, which is original, and not applied over whitewash.

Sorry Stampf, but I disagree. If the stab marking were black, they would be a closer match to the Balkenkreuz. Instead, they are nearly identical in shade and opacity to the green heart. I have no doubt these two aircraft wore green markings, and if I skinned it, it would also have green markings. The reference photo provides enough evidence of this, that for whatever reason green was used.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »
Imagine looking at this aircraft from the bottom, it will look the same with the whitewash as it did before the whitewash was painted on. In short, the bottom is not white, it is either RLM 65 or RLM 76, depending on the base scheme. Given that the canopy bars were not given a whitewash, then you can make a reasonable guess on the scheme underneath. My guess is that this aircraft came from the tory in the 70,71,65 scheme. Therefore, you should paint the bottom of this skin with RLM 65, and the area around the canopy would be RLM 70. Hope that better explains what I've been getting at.

Oh alright I understand a lot more clear now. Thank you for explaining that. I feel like a noob.  :rolleyes:
Top Gun

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »
Sorry Stampf, but I disagree. If the stab marking were black, they would be a closer match to the Balkenkreuz. Instead, they are nearly identical in shade and opacity to the green heart. I have no doubt these two aircraft wore green markings, and if I skinned it, it would also have green markings. The reference photo provides enough evidence of this, that for whatever reason green was used.

You could be right bro, but it would be a one off occurance.  Do you have any other photo's of that plane in Whitewash?

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »
You could be right bro, but it would be a one off occurrence.  Do you have any other photo's of that plane in Whitewash?

He has the same photo that was given in the book I used as a reference.
Out of the four books I now have, I couldn't find any other photos of the A/C in black and white.
Top Gun

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »
Not of Trautlofts, but of the other plane in my picture.

This picture can also be found in "Jg 54: A Photographic History of the Grunherzjager" by Werner Held, with Hannes Trautloft, and Ekkehard Bob.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:44:36 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »
Not of Trautlofts, but of the other plane in my picture.
(Image removed from quote.)

Well that certainly does look green. 

My appologies are in order here, though I can not imagine why green would be used over the standard black. 

There is no explanation given in your book Ratio?

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Well that certainly does look green. 

My appologies are in order here, though I can not imagine why green would be used over the standard black. 

There is no explanation given in your book Ratio?
No problem with me Stampf. You are one of the most knowledgeable Luft guys on this board, and I would tend to agree with anything you say on the subject without question. Of course in this case I happened to hold the trump cards. :salute
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
No problem with me Stampf. You are one of the most knowledgeable Luft guys on this board, and I would tend to agree with anything you say on the subject without question. Of course in this case I happened to hold the trump cards. :salute

:lol

No text explanations in that book about why green was applied ?  Does it state "Green" ?

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »
I actually just read on that, none of them said green. I do though have a book in German, if anyone speaks german here then maybe the description of this skin can be translated.
Top Gun