Author Topic: nVidia G-Sync technology  (Read 3172 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
nVidia G-Sync technology
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
The first comprehensive review is out: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Suffice to say, I want it and I will buy a G-Sync monitor, sooner as opposed to later.  Watching Anand's YouTube clips, this sort of stuttering is what bothers me the most, particularly when I turn the display left or right.  This awesome technology can't get here soon enough.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: nVidia G-Sync technology
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:04:36 AM »
As long as they are a stupid price :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:26:52 AM »
Not really that awesome.  It is more along the lines of NVidia cannot figure out how to make SLI work properly and honor vertical sync.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
Not really that awesome.  It is more along the lines of NVidia cannot figure out how to make SLI work properly and honor vertical sync.

That's ridiculous and this has nothing to do with SLI.  I must assume you didn't even bother to read the article.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
I did read the article.  I also read beyond it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
I did read the article.  I also read beyond it.

In a year, all your high-end users will be buying new monitors to support this, and it won't be a support nightmare for you, in fact you won't have to do a thing to "support" it.  Unlike SLI, which isn't even mentioned in the article.  Next time, try to read beyond your own cynicism.
Boildown

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
isn't g-synch transparent from the game side? Then does it matter if Skuzzy supports it or not?

I've read the news as 'hey we found a new way to charge you 150e for something we should be doing right in the first place'

also g-synch requires you to run at a fixed 60fps (with a 60hz monitor) in order to be advantageous.

It is not a game changer for sure.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:00:20 PM by SirNuke »

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
isn't g-synch transparent from the game side? Then does it matter if Skuzzy supports it or not?

I've read the news as 'hey we found a new way to charge you 150e for something we should be doing right in the first place'

also g-synch requires you to run at a fixed 60fps (with a 60hz monitor) in order to be advantageous.

It is not a game changer for sure.

Skuzzy has bunker mentality from SLI apparently.  So he's concerned that this will be another Nvidia headache.  I merely mentioned that it won't be, as you're correct in that its transparent to the games.

If "should be doing right in the first place" means something everyone on the planet has done since the invention of LCD displays, then you're right.  :huh  Nvidia is the first to do it right, they should be given credit, not mocked.

How you read the article and came to the conclusion that it requires you to run at a fixed fps is beyond me.  The technology updates the FPS each frame.  It can change the FPS 100 times per second if needed.  Each frame arrives on your screen when its done instead of waiting for the refresh timer.  That's the essence of the technology.  You seem to have missed the whole point.

Most definitely a game changer.
Boildown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
it takes a 3 to 5% hit on performance whatever that means.

but out of curiosity boilerdown, do you get a lot of stutters?  I hardly do and only started when I got my new 1440 monitor.  I just spent 600 bucks on that monitor and will be spending another 400 bucks on another video card.  I dont see myself spending another 600+ dollars next year on a monitor that will fix something I dont notice.  just my opinion.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »
but out of curiosity boilerdown, do you get a lot of stutters?  I hardly do and only started when I got my new 1440 monitor.  I just spent 600 bucks on that monitor and will be spending another 400 bucks on another video card.  I dont see myself spending another 600+ dollars next year on a monitor that will fix something I dont notice.

If you take a look at Anand's YouTube videos in that review, it shows exactly the kind of stuttering that bothers me the most, eliminated on the G-Sync side, present on the V-Sync side.  G-Sync will allow you to increase graphics fidelity to the point where it sometimes dips well below the nominal refresh rate of your monitor, be it set to 60Hz, 120Hz, or 144Hz, without stuttering.  The effect of which is to make it feel like the framerate is much higher.

Right now if you want your game stutter-free, you have to use graphics settings super low so that the FPS stays super high, so that even a highly-complex scene won't reduce your framerate below your monitor refresh rate.  With G-Sync you'll be able to make more reasonable selections while keeping the game play smooth.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:23:45 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
In a year, all your high-end users will be buying new monitors to support this, and it won't be a support nightmare for you, in fact you won't have to do a thing to "support" it.  Unlike SLI, which isn't even mentioned in the article.  Next time, try to read beyond your own cynicism.

Has nothing to do with cynicism.  It is the engineer in me.

I could write a white paper about this, but do not have the time right now.  If you think it is all that great, then fine. Go for it.  From an engineering perspective it really is not all that special.

By the way, most stutters, when frame rates drop, are due to the computer not being able to generate the art work fast enough to keep it smooth.  Nothing in this, is going to help computer induced stutters be smooth.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:45:22 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:08:03 AM »
If you take a look at Anand's YouTube videos in that review, it shows exactly the kind of stuttering that bothers me the most, eliminated on the G-Sync side, present on the V-Sync side.  G-Sync will allow you to increase graphics fidelity to the point where it sometimes dips well below the nominal refresh rate of your monitor, be it set to 60Hz, 120Hz, or 144Hz, without stuttering.  The effect of which is to make it feel like the framerate is much higher.

Right now if you want your game stutter-free, you have to use graphics settings super low so that the FPS stays super high, so that even a highly-complex scene won't reduce your framerate below your monitor refresh rate.  With G-Sync you'll be able to make more reasonable selections while keeping the game play smooth.

boilerdown, not trying to put you on the spot.  just asking a simple question.  do you get stutters in the game right now?  talking about aces high?  just curious like I said, I hardly ever get them and I have my settings way up high.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 02:32:51 AM »
Has nothing to do with cynicism.  It is the engineer in me.

I could write a white paper about this, but do not have the time right now.  If you think it is all that great, then fine. Go for it.  From an engineering perspective it really is not all that special.

By the way, most stutters, when frame rates drop, are due to the computer not being able to generate the art work fast enough to keep it smooth.  Nothing in this, is going to help computer induced stutters be smooth.

That's not entirely correct. If vsync is enabled and your framerate drops below 60, let's say 59fps - due to the nature of vsync your framerate will instantly dip to 30fps. This is very noticeable and drastic. If your frames dip below 30 they immediately will half to 15 etc. G-sync will remove this limitation by dynamically issuing a new framerate if I understood the thing correctly.

Also when vsync dips below 60 or whatever your supported monitor refresh is, it forces the display card to wait for the slower refresh becoming a bottleneck so even if your card could push the 59fps you only get the 30 out of it as long as you can't achieve the full 60fps.

Of course you know this already, I just don't understand why you don't see the removal of this halving as a positive step.

In a sense I agree with Skuzzy however. G-sync is not very exciting to me as it requires both buying new hardware and is vendor limited.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:37:49 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 03:25:05 AM »
boilerdown, not trying to put you on the spot.  just asking a simple question.  do you get stutters in the game right now?  talking about aces high?  just curious like I said, I hardly ever get them and I have my settings way up high.

I haven't flown a sortie in Aces High in around two years, so I don't know.  I just pay the sub so that this game doesn't perish from this Earth. 

And I've been more active on the forums as of late because I'm getting bored of Planetside 2 and Star Citizen Dogfighting Module has been pushed back to February, so its probable I'll resume playing Aces High again soon (tm).  (But haven't yet.)
Boildown

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 03:58:23 AM »
For Xmas Im buying a SSD as thats my current bottleneck.

I'll watch G-Sync as it evolves.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"