Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Offline mission  (Read 3175 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Pearl Harbor Offline mission
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
As a companion piece to the Infamy setup we are running in AvA this week.

The files are attached for download at the bottom of this page.

We present:

This offline mission showcases some of the custom stuff that we hope to offer in the AvA arena one day. However, it currently will not work online.

These instructions are included in the readme text file:

Infamy Mission instructions.

Extract the pharb13.zip file (terrain) to your Hitech Creations-Aces High-ahiterr folder.
Make sure that the pharb13.res file is in this folder.

Extract the infamy.zip (mission) file to your Hitech Creations-Aces High-missres
folder. Make sure that the infamy.res is in this folder

It's very important to make sure you are in the correct country before you
start the mission to see the correct pre-mission briefing/presentation.

Bishops-US

Knights-Japan

It is recommended that you reduce the ack lethality.
Go to Options/Arena Setup/Environment/Arena Settings/Weapons
and change the 3 GroundAutoLethality settings from 1.0 to .1.

Make sure your music sound slider is enabled. If you can't hear the AH title
music that means you won't hear the effects.

If you choose the number 1 position you will be leading the flight,
and the AI will follow you. When flying the number 1 position
 the AI fighters in your group will dogfight independently upon
enemy contact, but bombers will drop ords only when you do.

The Japanese carriers are fake and are only short airstrips with no arresting wires.

If you wish to fly the Japanese mission to completion, there is a real Knight carrier for you to land on.

More likely you will want to quit the mission after most of the action has taken place.

To quit the mission at any time, just end sortie. Depending on how you have
your settings, you may need to bail out first.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:44:21 PM by jimson »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pearl Harbor Offline mission
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »
Read me file is incorrect. The infamy.res file goes into yourHitech Creations-Aces High-missres
folder  

Got the correction in on time in the post above, but ran out of time to attach a new text file in that post.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:51:37 PM by jimson »

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »
Cool mission Jimson! I've ALWAYS wondered what it would have been like to hop into a P40 immediately after Japanese bombs began falling on Oahu. Now I can do it!

I just finished it.... twice. On my first attempt, my P40 was blown to bits on takeoff (by a falling bomb, I think). My second try was MUCH more fun as I took off across the grassy field (away from the runway) and got airborne in time to tour the recent destruction at "Pearl". Nice terrain, and a very very exciting bit of history in this mission.

It installed and ran as advertised on my dual-core 2.4 Ghz Windoze XP machine with nVidia 6880 graphics. Now I'm off to try it on LINUX....

Contrats!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:09:27 PM by bbosen »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Thanks bbosen. High praise coming from you. It's interesting as I have never been hurt by the bombs on take off. I always waited a minute or so before taxiing though.

Have you tried flying IJN yet? There's some cool stuff on that side too.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks bbosen. High praise coming from you. It's interesting as I have never been hurt by the bombs on take off. I always waited a minute or so before taxiing though.

Have you tried flying IJN yet? There's some cool stuff on that side too.

I just flew an A6M for the IJN and had a blast. This was on a LINUX machine emulating Windoze through the "WINE" emulator. Somehow that Japanese briefing sounded familiar....

Lots of fun!
 :salute

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »
Thanks Bosen. Did you see any glaring issues I should address?  How do you feel about the briefings/presentations? Do they add to the immersion, or are they silly?

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »
Thanks Bosen. Did you see any glaring issues I should address?  How do you feel about the briefings/presentations? Do they add to the immersion, or are they silly?

No "glaring issues" other than the basic fact that the mission is glaringly FUN. The briefings and presentations are immersive and educational. I REALLY like missions that are based on real events from history, and this one qualifies in all regards. The alert siren that blares right from the first moment adds a nice touch that I found to be exciting.

One thing does trouble me though.... are any of those audio snippets copyrighted? They seem awfully similar to something I've seen in a commercial movie. I don't know how Hollywood types would react if they learned of any of their intellectual property appearing in our missions. The snippets to which I refer are very brief, and I think we get some legal protection from their brevity, but I'm still left to wonder if this approach is safe for all parties. I hope so....

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:09:30 PM »
No "glaring issues" other than the basic fact that the mission is glaringly FUN. The briefings and presentations are immersive and educational. I REALLY like missions that are based on real events from history, and this one qualifies in all regards. The alert siren that blares right from the first moment adds a nice touch that I found to be exciting.

One thing does trouble me though.... are any of those audio snippets copyrighted? They seem awfully similar to something I've seen in a commercial movie. I don't know how Hollywood types would react if they learned of any of their intellectual property appearing in our missions. The snippets to which I refer are very brief, and I think we get some legal protection from their brevity, but I'm still left to wonder if this approach is safe for all parties. I hope so....

I have wondered the same thing.

I don't see how the one on the Allied side could be copyrighted and would likely be public domain. The one on the axis side is not an actual snip of a movie soundtrack but is recreated with computer generated voice. I doubt there can be a copyright of words, no matter how you arrange them, but they could be rearranged somewhat if that was a big issue.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:15:44 PM by jimson »

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
It certainly sounds like you've taken reasonable steps to respect their rights.

Thanks for making this fine mission available to me and to the Aces High community.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »
 Even if they're copyrighted, these are built by history buffs "For Entertainment Only"... If HTC themselves produced it as a promotion or what have you then yes there is a problem, but since these are user made using an established platform there is not, if by the off chance there is a complaint from the owners of the media involved, the absolute worst that can happen is that the mission would get deleted just to make them happy.
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »
Even if they're copyrighted, these are built by history buffs "For Entertainment Only"... If HTC themselves produced it as a promotion or what have you then yes there is a problem, but since these are user made using an established platform there is not, if by the off chance there is a complaint from the owners of the media involved, the absolute worst that can happen is that the mission would get deleted just to make them happy.

That's good to know. I think I will still try to avoid any issues, by not directly using clips and such.

Offline Flak-Bait

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
Great mission Jimson. Has anyone been able to catch the high KI's at the start? 

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
Great mission Jimson. Has anyone been able to catch the high KI's at the start? 

No, they aren't meant to be caught. They are only there to create some visual damage effect.