Author Topic: When's the next scenario?  (Read 7593 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: When's the next scenario?
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »
...I love to split hairs almost as much as I love to talk off subject...if you want to get "technical" some say WW2 actually started in '31 when Japan invaded Manchuria...AFA 1939...the US didn't "officially" enter until almost 1942... :cheers:
so in your terms you were 10 years off the mark on the b-24 production.  :neener:

the manchurian incursion was a precursor to the start of war in southeast asia, not the start of ww2. the second sino-japanese war which began in 1937 with the full scale invasion of china would be more technically correct, but it would not become world war until hostilities began in europe in 1939.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2014, 10:27:22 PM »
Paging ROC........Paging ROC.......please pickup the white courtesy phone.     :joystick:  :airplane:

Offline thomace

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »
so in your terms you were 10 years off the mark on the b-24 production.  :neener:

the manchurian incursion was a precursor to the start of war in southeast asia, not the start of ww2. the second sino-japanese war which began in 1937 with the full scale invasion of china would be more technically correct, but it would not become world war until hostilities began in europe in 1939.

...points taken...I'm really just hoping there's going to be some B-24's in the scenario...

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 12:26:04 AM »
hehe you guys are awesome :)  Good to see interest and enthusiasm.  Finishing touches are being put on now.  
We are going to run a Pacific tour.
It will be Pearl Harbor, Midway, Santa Cruz and Japan.
We will be attacking a very snazzy brand new Pearl Harbor terrain, head over to Midway for a "capture the island" perpetual battle, move on to Santa Cruz for an air to air and ship to ship battle, and wind up with an massive bombing campaign over Japan.
Write up is being finished up, Redtail and Brooke have taken the lead on the overall design, and I am excited to see this one come together.  It's been on the back burner as one of my "must do" event concepts for many years.
Hope you guys like it.  I think just about everyone who has made some contribution and suggestion got a bit tossed into this one.  Each frame will introduce new planes, each frame will have a completely different objective and style.  This ones going to need some real hardcore leadership and the ability to adapt on the fly for the wholly unexpected.  
Looking to open up registration within weeks, and run it march/april after hashing out holiday/special occasion calendar conflicts.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
Woo-hoo!  Now I am freaking out.  Meatballs or no meatballs?

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
Woo-hoo!  Now I am freaking out.  Meatballs or no meatballs?

(Image removed from quote.)

Don't get to excited there little piggy.  The first frame is held in Hawaii.  You know, the land of luau's.........you do know what they roast at a luau don't ya?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 10:15:53 AM »
Don't get to excited there little piggy.  The first frame is held in Hawaii.  You know, the land of luau's.........you do know what they roast at a luau don't ya?
:aok :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:52 PM »

Don HO was from Hawaii.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
Yayyyyy  :banana:
You should really do a scenario in May because it's when I'll be home from college  :pray
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
No F-14s? :cry
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »
May sit this one out. TBM's as subs for TBD's, no Ki-44, no Ki-100, no J2M, no B6N, almost guarantee we'll be tasked with killing B-29's with Ki-43's.......

No thanks  :bolt:.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:38:21 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 03:04:32 PM »
hehe you guys are awesome :)  Good to see interest and enthusiasm.  Finishing touches are being put on now.  
We are going to run a Pacific tour.
It will be Pearl Harbor, Midway, Santa Cruz and Japan.
We will be attacking a very snazzy brand new Pearl Harbor terrain, head over to Midway for a "capture the island" perpetual battle, move on to Santa Cruz for an air to air and ship to ship battle, and wind up with an massive bombing campaign over Japan.
Write up is being finished up, Redtail and Brooke have taken the lead on the overall design, and I am excited to see this one come together.  It's been on the back burner as one of my "must do" event concepts for many years.
Hope you guys like it.  I think just about everyone who has made some contribution and suggestion got a bit tossed into this one.  Each frame will introduce new planes, each frame will have a completely different objective and style.  This ones going to need some real hardcore leadership and the ability to adapt on the fly for the wholly unexpected.  
Looking to open up registration within weeks, and run it march/april after hashing out holiday/special occasion calendar conflicts.

So a make believe Pearl Harbor setup, Late War TBM-3's in early war and the impossible task of killing bombers with IJAAF in 45. Sounds fun, Im in.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »
TBM's as subs for TBD's,

It works OK, as shown in two previous scenarios.  We used them in Coral Sea 2005 and 2009, and the IJN did fine, winning their share of the frames.  It depended more on execution and planning.

no Ki-44, no Ki-100, no J2M, no B6N,

As those weren't used at Pearl, Midway, or Santa Cruz, it matters not for 3/4 of the scenario. 

As for the last frame (later-war attacks on Japan), they were around, but not the most-prevalent planes (there were only 476 J2M's, 1225 Ki-44's, and 395 Ki-100's produced).  We use a lot of Ki-84's and N1K's, for example for balance, and they are as good or better.

almost guarantee we'll be tasked with killing B-29's with Ki-43's.......

Incorrect.

No thanks  :bolt:.

You can play or not as you wish, of course, but let's not have you making your premature decision based on significantly incorrect assumptions.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »
US air power at Pearl was essentially non-existent after the first few minutes. Unless you're going to significantly weaken field ack, have them line up on the runway, and enforce a no take-off rule until the first cannon shells stitch their way across the P-40s' wings, its not historical.

Strictly speaking, pearl harbor should just be a test of the Axis's ability to bomb and torpedo targets while under threat from ground-fire, nothing more.

The TBM's deck speed is more than 50mph greater than the TBD's top speed. This is not insignificant, and is still worth pointing out, regardless of previous performance, as the A6M2 (and I severely doubt you will be kind enough to give us A6M3's) is only around 20mph greater than the TBM's at the altitude I suspect we'll end up having to kill them at.

My only consolation is that the only fighters we will be facing is P-40's and F4F's for the majority of the scenario.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »
Incorrect.

Forgive me if I have my doubts. The CM team does seems to be fond of the Allied bombers' impact on PTO events, and B-29's are even worse. Faster. Tougher. Better armed. All I can say is an alt cap had better be imposed, or you won't have much of a frame 4.

You can play or not as you wish, of course, but let's not have you making your premature decision based on significantly incorrect assumptions.

My dear Brooke, I only base my assumptions on past experience.