Author Topic: Recovery  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Recovery
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »
  Now I'm not sure if this is what you mean or that the planes are actually falling behind,if thats the case I'd suggest they just bump up MAP to keep in position.
 :salute
A frequently observed problem in game is a lack of wingman consideration, i.e. lead with power at the forward stop, leaving wingman no choice but to use WEP.  A good formation lead will always leave the wingman a power advantage during climb, cruise, and descent.  If this isn't done, the result is a string formation of planes "going same way same day",  a fairly common sight in game.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »
A frequently observed problem in game is a lack of wingman consideration, i.e. lead with power at the forward stop, leaving wingman no choice but to use WEP.  A good formation lead will always leave the wingman a power advantage during climb, cruise, and descent.  If this isn't done, the result is a string formation of planes "going same way same day",  a fairly common sight in game.   :salute

So true!  I also see players having trouble keeping up because the lead calls out 1.1 ATA and they use 1.1 and fall behind!  I try to explain the lead is just telling us what MAP he's using and we have to use whatever amount is required to stay in position.

Myself,I'm constantly adjusting throttle to stay in position,but like you said Puma,a good lead will reduce power so that the rest have reserve power to hold position!

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »
So true!  I also see players having trouble keeping up because the lead calls out 1.1 ATA and they use 1.1 and fall behind!  I try to explain the lead is just telling us what MAP he's using and we have to use whatever amount is required to stay in position.

Myself,I'm constantly adjusting throttle to stay in position,but like you said Puma,a good lead will reduce power so that the rest have reserve power to hold position!

:airplane: The question about the wingman thing was in reference to when we were in level flight and at 35" MP. I have started using a shallow banked left turn after takeoff so that the guys in the back can join right up. I just keep prompting them to keep the nose of their aircraft in front of my aircraft nose and they usually catch right up after 1 360 degree around the base. Thanks for the info guys. :salute
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »

Yep, if leads where more cognizant of always giving wingmen a power advantage, formations would fly much tighter and be more tactically effective.  With a couple turns around the departure base and a power advantage over lead, wingman can join up efficiently.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all