Author Topic: "War in the Air" - BBC  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: "War in the Air" - BBC
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:30 AM »
I beg to differ. You can't sell something and call it charity. If you can then America "supported" Germany as well before Britain got involved; most of the trucks carrying German troops into Poland had Ford or GM stickers on them.

I didn't call it charity....I called it support.  Are you stating that US supplies prior to Lend Lease were not important to the British war effort?

Sure, you could state that the Soviets were supporting Germany at this stage....because they were in essence ALLIED during the invasion of Poland.  "Nonaggression Pact" be damned....both countries were involved in that little effort.  And yes, Soviet oil did indeed help Germany's war effort early on.

Stop thinking in terms of black and white....all politics are shades of grey and they are almost always changing.  That has been true throughout history...

I doubt I will change either of your minds on this subject and it's not worth arguing over.   :salute
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:15 AM »
Well, I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

:bolt:
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:44:24 AM »

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear (our TWO chief weapons!)

:D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »
I beg to differ. You can't sell something and call it charity. If you can then America "supported" Germany as well before Britain got involved; most of the trucks carrying German troops into Poland had Ford or GM stickers on them.

Well yes an no.  The program did not have an "immediate payment" for goods received.  If the allies had lost the war nothing would have ever been paid back because the losing side very likely would have ceased to exist and the new regime would have certainly taken no responsibility to pay back any debts for a country they had conquered and assimilated.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »
Well yes an no.  The program did not have an "immediate payment" for goods received.  If the allies had lost the war nothing would have ever been paid back because the losing side very likely would have ceased to exist and the new regime would have certainly taken no responsibility to pay back any debts for a country they had conquered and assimilated.
That is Lend Lease which started after the BoB.  During the BoB the Brits were buying 100 octane fuel, but I believe that was pay as you go.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
Yes the 1939 "cash and carry" amendment to the Neutrality Act of 1936 only allowed the sale of material to belligerents, as long as the recipients arranged for the transport using their own ships and paid immediately in cash, assuming all risk in transportation.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."