Author Topic: 50's are different in different planes?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
Re: 50's are different in different planes?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
Nothing wrong with the 50's!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
None of you going to test this offline at all?

Anecdotally you can dismantle test a B25 in the drone circuit while counting rounds or over time. Or use a stop watch and sit behind it. See how long it takes to cut off a wing shooting at the same spot with all test planes. Or some part of the B25 but, the same part for each fighter. That will eliminate differences in the .50cal programing for each fighter and leave you with differences in relative harmonization aspects since your testing speed will be sitting at about 250 behind the B25.

P51D---275, 300, 325
F6f-----275, 300, 325
F4f-----275, 300, 325
F4u-1A, D, 4----275,300,325
P47D 6 gun package----275,300,325

It may make for a better test of the .50cal programing to set all convergence to 300 since the coad was an inferred possibility as the source of the presented problem.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
bah, .50 cals in the pony are for wussies.  Real men use rockets  :rock :rock :rock :rock.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
There are differences between 50-cal planes in where the guns are mounted and how much "rise" they have as they come to convergence.  As has been mentioned the closure rate is likely a factor, as your aim point changes in a Pony as you get inside convergence.  I use a convergence around 325 with 50-cals and tested "flatness" of the bullet stream in 3 different planes armed with 6 50-cals (I did not include the Hellcat in this particular test, but it could be done easily) by firing at a target at HALF of my convergence range.

Note the screenshot I took below: At half convergence (162.5 yards) the bullet stream for the Pony is several feet below the aim point (which was the horizontal line).  You can see this is even more dramatic for the Corsair which has a larger separation (about 7 feet) between eye level and gun level and therefore more rise to the bullet stream.  On the other hand, the Jug has a relatively flat bullet stream, meaning that as you close, your aim point changes less.

Combined with a greater closure rate in the Pony, this is probably having some impact on your shooting.

Bottom line: Remember as you get INSIDE convergence, you need to aim slightly higher to get the FULL concentration of your TWO bullet streams to hit.  Otherwise, only a few of the bullets (in the top portion of the stream) are hitting your target, while the bulk of your rounds are actually passing UNDER the target and rising on the other side, giving the illusion of "rubber bullets".

This was also discussed in a Gunnery Tips thread in the Training Forum:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,354354.15.html

Hope this helps.

<S>

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:46:32 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 04:32:36 AM »
It's probably time on target. P51s are fast and you spend less time shooting the plane. F6Fs are slow and you can sit on their 6 while turning and just fill them with led all day.
This.
You get different kind of shots in the F6F and the P-51. In the latter you get more snap shots or tracking shots with a very short time tracking the target. In the much better turning and more stable F6F you can saddle up and track the target and keep the gun solution for several seconds. The F6F also has a much better over the nose view, so you likely also hit better % while tracking.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 07:36:47 PM »
So no one is bothering to see if there might be a coad issue by performing drone dismantling tests? I've never seen Hitech get mad if you find something that helps him eliminate an oversight to improve everyone's game experience.

You can sit each fighter on the spawn with the engine shut down and perform the dispersion testing.

.target 162.5 45 x.n

1. - x.n = between 9 and 15 azimuth for different fighters. You can use values of 1-9 for n to micro adjust to the center of your gunsight.

2. 45 because I use NDisles field A1 spawning NE.

Dispersion testing will not tell you if there is a difference in the .50 cal's ability to damage the same drone across different fighter types. Setting convergence the same in all fighters then testing the dismantling ability at or near convergence will. Other wise the OP would not have asked about the destructive difference he perceives between fighters using the same gun.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
kingpin i read that post--it mention's turning on gunsight indicator serveral times--how do i turn this on--and can it be turned on and used in the ma???????????
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »
kingpin i read that post--it mention's turning on gunsight indicator serveral times--how do i turn this on--and can it be turned on and used in the ma???????????

The Lead Computing Gunsight is toggled on and off using CTRL+TAB.  You will get a text buffer message something to the effect of "Lock Enabled".  
You then use the TAB key to select ONE aircraft within range, and a box outlining the icon of the selected plane will appear.
Green cross-hairs will now indicate where you need to aim to hit that aircraft.
The two cross-hairs correspond to your primary and secondary banks of guns.  You will often notice some separation between the two "X's".  This is due either to different convergence settings for your guns or differences in the ballistics of mixed weapon types (MG's and cannon).  For example, if you take up a 109K4 you will usually see a large difference between where to aim the 30mm vs. the MGs, depending on your convergence settings.

The Lead Computing Gunsight is NOT available in the MA.  However, you can use it online in the Training Arena as well as offline.

It is a good tool for learning to anticipate your lead for crossing shots or high speed snap shots by making those types of passes against the drones offline and getting a feel for the lead required at different ranges and angles.

Hope this helps.

<S>
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 02:13:53 AM »
I've thought the same thing. Some of the answers are great especially the time on target. I'd tell you my convergence settings but my C.O. keeps everything under wraps.

Speaking on time on target when I go in for a kill I usually drift in for that reason.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
I heard some where along the way that within the us navy planes there is a difference in rate of fire between certain .50s. I think it was for the higher ROF: hellcat f4u a1-D and -4 vs f4f and f4u for the lower ROF.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
Can anyone confirm that?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
If I remember correctly, the rate of fire for the .50 in game is 800 rpm. It is not linked to what type of aircraft.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »
I've thought the same thing. Some of the answers are great especially the time on target. I'd tell you my convergence settings but my C.O. keeps everything under wraps.

Speaking on time on target when I go in for a kill I usually drift in for that reason.

Top secret convergence settings!  :rofl
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »
Top secret convergence settings!  :rofl

I looked at their private forums, the convergence is set between 150 and 650 yards.  :devil
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 05:23:40 AM »
An interesting video in modern HD of a P51 doing a convergence setting with real 50's.  I think they are only shooting 4 guns as well, the inboard look empty on the film, and it still shows how insanely powerful and effective 4 x 50's were.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1826158611001