Author Topic: P-40's  (Read 4578 times)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: P-40's
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
Lil mark, You can put a dot on the center of your screen and raise or move it as much as you like. A neat lil adjustment. And OLDMAN, thanks much. I did what you said and got a kill on my first outting! It flies pretty nice like that!!
Thanks Man,
KimoSabe!!!!
Yea I sure could but I consider that gamey.

I've had my head in several real P-40s and the gunsight takes up much more of a percentage of the forward view than the one we have in AH. To be fair, I can't remember which site was installed so I can't make a reasonable argument until the next time I get a chance to stick my head in another P-40. When I do, I will be sure to post something about it because I miss flying the P-40 in AH and the cockpit art, although very nice, has made the thing useless to me as a gun platform.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »
About 3\4 zoom will make the reflector plate scaled to real world in your monitor. At which point you no longer have any peripheral vision. The artist looses "coming and going" trying to balance the proportions on the views.

Looking for cockpit photos of P40, I noticed that the effective eye center of the N-3 gunsights was different in photos with an obvious 6ft or taller pilot. And in the real war with different gunsight types and sight heads. The only N-Series gunsight shown correctly in our P40 is in the P40C which was refitted as quickly as N-3 with Curtiss right angle sight heads were available for the AAF and AVG. The rest are the Aces High generic rendering copy of N-3 seen on the Internet issued in other manufacture's planes during WW2. The N series of gunsights were procured by the AAF and issued to aircraft companies who created their own sight heads or purchased them and fitted them in the factory. Curtiss built their own sight heads to fit their P40's.

Modern rebuilds of P40 with N-3 mounted, are not Curtiss sight heads and mounts unless the re-build team can show you Curtiss stamps or documents. Most are N-3B or N-3C bodies with non-Curitss sight heads. Here is a museum restoration with an N-3C body and what might be a Lockheed sight head.

Obvious really short guy.

Curtiss N-3 factory mount vertical N-3B and Curtiss sight head.

AVG guy with a right angle designed Curtiss N3 sight head for the P40B\C.

Tall guys.

Notice ETO P40 with British MII.

1942 PTO right angle Curtiss sight head on N-3.

Another tall guy and another right angle Curtiss sight head on an N-3.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 01:24:18 AM »
Woopsies, I thought this looked familiar. The N-3C was not available until late 1943.

P40 with N-3C gunsight and Probably Lockheed sight head for P38.

Aces High P40F with N-3C gunsight and Probably Lockeed sight head for P38.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.