Author Topic: Trim while maneuvering in the vertical  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Trim while maneuvering in the vertical
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »
Anyone ever thought about the `Trim Set Tab`?

It adjusts trim to the maneuver / speed u do at that moment.

Have mine next to combat trim toggle on my stick.

Turn off CT go in a turn, vert whatever and hit trim set during the pull. Engage CT to get rid of it.

It puts ur trim to where its needed without adjusting it all the time.

This is pretty much how I roll. I toggle CT on and off to get into trim at a given speed. Just be aware it's not gonna be right as you get way slow or way fast. See my above post.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
So for a beginner who has no idea what Trim is about can any one explain everything from begining in a Trim for dummies style please : ) :O

There are forces that act on a plane in flight. Relative wind, P-factor from the prop, balance from fuel in the tanks, ords, flaps, etc. All of these will have a different affect depending on how fast you're going. You'll find yourself not flying exactly straight and level. Roll is easy--if you're rolling adjust your aileron trim right or left so that you're not. Climbing or decending? Adjust your elevator trim so that your verticle speed indicator is zero (or not if you actually want to climb or decend). Is your plane Yawwing? Adjust your rudder trim so that the ball is centered. Combat trim will take care of this for you for the most part however it's not perfect at the extreme edges of the speed range at which point you'll have to adjust manually. See my above posts for explanation.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
CT/trimming yourself does not make much of a difference...so little that, while you are learning just leave it on....but like V said if you are compressing hitting up trim on keyboard will hopefully pull you out of it....

stall limiter...now that should be off...

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
CT/trimming yourself does not make much of a difference...so little that, while you are learning just leave it on....but like V said if you are compressing hitting up trim on keyboard will hopefully pull you out of it....

Yeah but the OP was wondering what was up with it. Just trying to shed some light. I agree with leaving it on if you're a newb. You have much bigger fish to fry on the learning curve!

stall limiter...now that should be off...

Absotively! Posilutely!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
So for a beginner who has no idea what Trim is about can any one explain everything from begining in a Trim for dummies style please : ) :O

I don't recall which website I read what you are looking for on, so I'll throw a few out to check. When you find the article I'm referring to it will explain everything you want to know. If you can't find it, I'll look later, a little tied up atm. Check, by googling (most likely) "combat trim Aces High Soda."  If that doesn't work goto SimHQ.com and find the AH area and look for combat trim (explained.) And finally if it isn't there then it's at Aces.net, and somewhere under (using) combat trim.   Hope that helps, let me know if you don't find.

Btw, as stated, it is an advanced tactic, I still only use it to avoid augering or when I'm missing parts.

Edit: also could be at the Musketeers website, maybe google "combat trim Wraithe."
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
Out in the real world, it is used to "trim" off flight control pressure.  You can kind of compare it to having power steering in your car.  Fairly easy to control the car without a lot of physical pressure.  Then, the power steering goes out and you still have to control the car but, with a lot of physical pressure, i.e. muscle.  Hope this explains the concept of trim.  Most all airplanes have at least elevator (pitch) trim.  Aircraft with higher performance and complexity have rudder (yaw) and aileron (roll) trim features to deal with the increase control pressures involved with high horsepower/thrust and/or multi engines. 

In game, the combat trim provides a way to instant trim all three axis compared to manually trimming all three as the pilots in the day had to do.  Of course, if one is so inclined, the trim can also be manually trimmed in game.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »
This is pretty much how I roll. I toggle CT on and off to get into trim at a given speed. Just be aware it's not gonna be right as you get way slow or way fast. See my above post.

I decided last night to go shady to try this out as I have NEVER trimmed for anything other than pulling out of a K4/KI84/Zeke speed-induced compression. 

Drano - You can't put this Genie back in the bottle...that's all I will say about that.  I do not recommend it for the noobishly challenged as flying at all is challenge when you add in SA, gunnery, ACM, etc.  For those that are beyond those issues, I strongly suggest it.  For those of you that knew about it and have done it regularly, I salute you for keeping your mouths shut for so long, lol.

:salute
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 07:20:19 AM »
I decided last night to go shady to try this out as I have NEVER trimmed for anything other than pulling out of a K4/KI84/Zeke speed-induced compression.

You had to "go shady" to try this? WTF? :headscratch:  

Drano - You can't put this Genie back in the bottle...that's all I will say about that.  I do not recommend it for the noobishly challenged as flying at all is challenge when you add in SA, gunnery, ACM, etc.

So what exactly did you think I meant when I said this?:

I agree with leaving it on if you're a newb. You have much bigger fish to fry on the learning curve!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
Been manually triming and/or only periodically turning on CT for some time now.  It seems to help for me. 

I do leave CT on when BnZing in some planes as I find it keeps the nose level.  If I'm in a 109 I will sometimes compress and I just trip the tail down and pull out.

I'm with Drano...why shade to try this stuff out? :headscratch:
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »
Lephturn did a pretty good writeup on "Trim"  a long time ago..

here is a link to it

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/trim/trim.htm

anyways, this subject:  Combat Trim  or Manual Trim  or Trim in Aces High has been gone over under through back and forth til noone should have any problems finding it on this messageboard

Drano, Auger and FLS gave some good advice.....

I do not use Combat Trim when I am dogfighting, I trim for level cruise speed of the given plane I am in, then leave it there....... I only use CT &  Autopilot for take off and heading to and from the given fight.....  I do not use it to land either......

some funny posts in this thread........  better watch all that scratching ya head, it'll make you bald in no time, lol

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »
some funny posts in this thread........  better watch all that scratching ya head, it'll make you bald in no time, lol

I read that article many moons ago.  I came to this game after playing IL2 for several years so I understood the whole trimming concept (no "combat trim" in IL2).

FYI - Been bald on top of my head for 15 years....I shave my whole scalp and prefer it that way.  Bald is beautiful.  I guess the head-stratching could wear a hole in my scalp tho'...I was just curious why would one shade to try trimming out.  I've always been told that "shading" was bad.  I don't agree with that, BTW, as I've done it for various reasons myself. 

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

I was actually shady for a run or two and then stayed shady after I read this to give it whirl in the DA in some 1 v 1...no reason to end up on someone's toon resume when your reason is "I lost because I was jacking with combat trim"...sounds a bit too much like an excuse instead of a reason.

I'm pretty sure you understand that rationale'
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
...no reason to end up on someone's toon resume when your reason is "I lost because I was jacking with combat trim"...sounds a bit too much like an excuse instead of a reason.

Ahhhh.   :aok

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »
Zooming straight up, CT will try to pull you into a very gentle loop. It is necessary to push slightly forward on the stick, as well us make whatever rudder and aileron connections.

Look at your G-Meter in a vertical zoom sometime. It will say 0, because it measures gravity in the opposite direction from your lift vector. In a straight-up zoom, your airplane is in an "unloaded" state, because the wings aren't producing any negative or positive lift. That is why you can hold an airplane in a straight vertical climb to much less than its 1G stall speed.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
BTW, I believe I read a post from Hitech a couple of years ago explaining that combat trim is included because trimming an airplane in real life just isn't the headache it is in simulations.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."