Author Topic: Aerial Combat  (Read 5648 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aerial Combat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
Nice...ok then, what part is the most fun to you?

A challenge.  Going into a horde and making them work for the kill, going into a 3-4 on one and emerging victorious, beating a recognized good stick (not based on score or rank), beating a LW monster in a plane that "shouldn't" have a chance, playing to my opponents strengths instead of my own, etc., etc., etc.  Doesn't matter if I live or die as long as I challenged myself. 

Flying around getting and landing kills?  Sure I do that too but it's not as much fun as anything I listed above.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
I fly for the hunt.

That moment where you see a formation, or perhaps just one guy, hunting like yourself..

You see eachother, each one turns to face the other.... Fight on.

THAT. Is what I play this game for.

However it has become a rarity.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
beating a LW monster in a plane that "shouldn't" have a chance, playing to my opponents strengths instead of my own, etc., etc., etc. 

This is interesting...

As the war progressed, the general trend was to increase horsepower and firepower, resulting in plane that had more speed, climb, dive, etc, and could kill more easily. But often these increases in performance and lethality inevitably meant increases in wing-loading, resulting poorer-turning aircraft that were arguably worse in the 1v1 dogfight than their earlier counterparts. Of course in real air combat speed+firepower>individual dogfighting attributes like turn rate, we all know this, but still...

A SpitIX is clearly Midwar, a Fw-190 D9 is definitely a late-war monster, yet how easy is it to fight a SpitIX in one, especially co-e?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »
Success is a fight worth of making it into a film.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »
I played again this weekend for the first time in 2.5 years. I had multiple maneuvering fights, several 1v1 or small fights. Plenty of aggressive pilots out there. IMO, the game is about the same as when I left, about the same as it was when I first started playing in 2006.

Greatest game on Earth. Then, Now, and as long as it lasts :aok

I fly for the hunt.

That moment where you see a formation, or perhaps just one guy, hunting like yourself..

You see eachother, each one turns to face the other.... Fight on.

THAT. Is what I play this game for.

However it has become a rarity.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »
I think a few aircraft, such as the Spit 16, K4, Tempest and ALL the F4U series specifically C and 4.

Are the aircraft that have the golden ratio. They have the perfect balance between offensive and defensive capability as well as the right levels of handling, power and firepower.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »

Even if you're the towered or just the ones you won?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
I would say you're well on your way.  Please consider yourself INvited to the next canyon fight night.  Great folks and good fun in tight spaces.  Afterwords there are generally some 1 v 1s on the private fields for some ACM schooling.  It's all in fun and you can truncate your learning curve fighting the folks that know how to fly well.  Be great to have you there.

I would dig that.  I hang out mostly in the DA anyhow.  <S>
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:39 PM »
Even if you're the towered or just the ones you won?

It wouldn't be much of a film if the hero dies in the first act :/
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 11:18:29 PM »

:aok

I think double if you actually go back and watch it.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
It wouldn't be much of a film if the hero dies in the first act :/

Ha!  Correct!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
A SpitIX is clearly Midwar, a Fw-190 D9 is definitely a late-war monster, yet how easy is it to fight a SpitIX in one, especially co-e?

How easy is it to fight a Spit, F6F-5 or numerous others in a 190A-8 or a 110G-2?  How about a slow turn fight with a Zeke or a Brewster in a Spit?  The examples are too numerous to mention.

Even against an inexperienced pilot it's not easy but it makes it more fun for me and more fun for them.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 11:27:19 PM »
A random, unexpected 1 v 1 or 2 v 1 that gets my heart pounding.

And yes, I'll be good in this thread and take it seriously.  Jeez...
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
How easy is it to fight a Spit, F6F-5 or numerous others in a 190A-8 or a 110G-2? 

Well that is a case of taking a fighter inferior in both angles AND energy performance into the fight...clearly a different situation than what I was discussing. Hey, I'd love to see the films of your techniques in the A-8 for taking on such birds.  :salute

Offline TWC_Angel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
aerial combat success imo is fighting against the odds win or loose. Learning the specifics of a plane and then appplying that by changing tactis in the game to either gain victory or rtb home (parts may or may not be included :D ) Using heavier or midwar aircraft against ma lw qualifies as against odds i think.  Reversing an enemy in a much more capable ride to gift him twin 30's on the overshoot. *warm fuzzies* :P
IGN: Angel
DGSII: I./JG1
-=Top*Gun=-
"Guaranteed, knock-down-dragged-out dogfight.       
       Every time."    ((♥ That 190))