Author Topic: AMD Rebuild  (Read 302 times)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
AMD Rebuild
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
I was going to put this in the VC thread but decided against it.

Rebuilding a filthy computer is horrible, but here it goes...

Nothing a bath can't wash off.  Even the fans got removed and washed.

Kinda hard to see in the pic, but the thermal paste is applied crooked.  I removed it and applied Arctic Silver.

Assembly

I had the blue fan laying around and decided to use it to take advantage of the case fan connection on the MB.  The old case fans are the bulky 4-pin connectors that just ugly up the final product.

I did get a little help from 12 little friends.  :D

All the pieces in, ready to fire up and check for smoke.

A quick Knoppix report prior to dropping in the Winblows disk.  Everything looks good.

Done what I could with the wiring, (black SATA cable did get tucked away after pic) side panels on, (left side hinged down for photo-op)

Ignore the IDE CD ROM, it's just filling a gap.  :)

Damned EUFI gave me a hard way to go installing Windows on the SSD due to formatting, but finally found the Legacy option in BIOS.  
Burned with Prime 95 for an hour then cranked out some respectable 3DMark test scores (for a "non gaming" system).

I ran his vs mine at the same time just to get an idea using Vantage because my comp can't run 3DMark 11.  Rounding off the results:
The 7700 posted 9900 for video, my GTX 260 got 8900
The AMD 8320 posted 20000 for processor, my E8400 got 5000

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:08:15 AM by Dragon »
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: AMD Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:38:31 AM »
Nice job with the wiring for the most part, although I think you can buy wire mesh wrap so you don't have to wrap vid card power cables in elec tape.  The tape looks better than bare wires I think and you've already had some advice on getting a better PS "next time", but for the work you did I think pulling the pins out of the connector plugs and using a mesh wrap, or even just a plastic spiral wire control wrap that doesn't require disassembling the plugs, might have looked better on the vid card power cables.

Still, it looks like a nice clean upgrade  :aok
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.