Author Topic: Give perk points for assists  (Read 4806 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Give perk points for assists
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
A countless number of times I have a secure kill, am pulling lead for a shot and a teammate zooms in and shoots down my enemy. If I had landed shots before, I get an assist.  :bhead

Say, give the person who brought him down some points, but at least give the person who damaged him some credit. It seems when I damage an enemy and somebody else kills him, they get the kill. But when I kill the enemy who is damaged, I always get an assist. Can somebody please explain how assists work? :headscratch: I am quite tired of taking peoples wings off and getting no perk points for it.
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Give perk points for assists
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »
I always thought you do get a small perk awarded for an assist but never really bothered to check to see it does or not.  Basically, you'll get a credit for an assist if you do non-critical damage to a plane before someone does critical damage.  For example, you come in and hit the bandit in the wings, puncturing a few holes in the wing or maybe getting lucky and damaging the flaps or ailerons.  Now, here I come in with guns blazing and remove the tail from the plane.  I'll get credit for the kill as my damage was critical, whereas you'll get the assist because the damage you caused was non-critical.  Now a 3rd friendly comes in with guns blazing and fires at the bandit floating in the sky without his tail but will not receive credit for the kill or assist because critical damage has already been done to the bandit so the 3rd friendly at this point is basically wasting his ammo.  Anyway, that's the really basic layman's explanation.

Here's a really good tip to get rid of the assist blues...work on your gunnery skills.  The better the aim and shot you are, you'll see your kills go up, your assists go down.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
Who ever does the most damage gets the kill, everyone else who hit him gets an assist.

So just as an example... all numbers are fictitious!

Say it takes 500 hits to cause "fatal" damage on a pony. Your in a P47 with 50s and you get 5 points per round you hit with. You pump 40 rounds into him and do 20 points worth of damage.

Your teammate comes in to help clear your 12 oclock  :rolleyes: and he's in a nik. His cannon rounds are worth 20 points per round. He pumps in 15 rounds as he blows by... almost a third less rounds than you, but his total adds up to 300, plus your 200, and the pony goes down, and the nik gets the kill.

Same goes the other way, if the nik hits him first and you finish him off 5 minutes later as he's landing  :P his 300 still beats your 200 and he still gets the kill.

Again the numbers are all fake, but that is pretty much how it works.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
I always thought you do get a small perk awarded for an assist but never really bothered to check to see it does or not.  Basically, you'll get a credit for an assist if you do non-critical damage to a plane before someone does critical damage.  For example, you come in and hit the bandit in the wings, puncturing a few holes in the wing or maybe getting lucky and damaging the flaps or ailerons.  Now, here I come in with guns blazing and remove the tail from the plane.  I'll get credit for the kill as my damage was critical, whereas you'll get the assist because the damage you caused was non-critical.  Now a 3rd friendly comes in with guns blazing and fires at the bandit floating in the sky without his tail but will not receive credit for the kill or assist because critical damage has already been done to the bandit so the 3rd friendly at this point is basically wasting his ammo.  Anyway, that's the really basic layman's explanation.

Here's a really good tip to get rid of the assist blues...work on your gunnery skills.  The better the aim and shot you are, you'll see your kills go up, your assists go down.

ack-ack
:salute Thanks. But I have never noted getting anything out of assists. Thursday night, I landed because of fuel with four assists, and checked my score for last sortie in the hanger. The result: 0.00.  :headscratch:
Do not run.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »
Who ever does the most damage gets the kill, everyone else who hit him gets an assist.

So just as an example... all numbers are fictitious!

Say it takes 500 hits to cause "fatal" damage on a pony. Your in a P47 with 50s and you get 5 points per round you hit with. You pump 40 rounds into him and do 20 points worth of damage.

Your teammate comes in to help clear your 12 oclock  :rolleyes: and he's in a nik. His cannon rounds are worth 20 points per round. He pumps in 15 rounds as he blows by... almost a third less rounds than you, but his total adds up to 300, plus your 200, and the pony goes down, and the nik gets the kill.

Same goes the other way, if the nik hits him first and you finish him off 5 minutes later as he's landing  :P his 300 still beats your 200 and he still gets the kill.

Again the numbers are all fake, but that is pretty much how it works.
Hmmm... Alright.  :salute Thanks.
Do not run.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:14:10 PM »
:salute Thanks. But I have never noted getting anything out of assists. Thursday night, I landed because of fuel with four assists, and checked my score for last sortie in the hanger. The result: 0.00.  :headscratch:

That's not your score that's your perk balance. And yes, there are no perks for assists. But they actually do count towards score (indirectly), the damage you inflict on the enemy goes to "Kill Points" (which are actually 'damage points', as the kill itself gives only 1 single score point.)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:17:35 AM »
+1 for perks for assists.
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:38:53 AM »
No need for awarding the gangers.
AoM
City of ice

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »
Debrody has thought this thing through. Some kind of substantive reward for kills you don't make all on your own would just encourage them to NEVER leave a pack.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46:18 AM »
yep

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »
Split the kills into fractions just like gun camera film analysis did.  26.44 victories, etc.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
This.

And apologies to the lightly armed fighters, but not all things can be accommodated.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
This.

And apologies to the lightly armed fighters, but not all things can be accommodated.

You could give quarter kill credit if enough damage is done to get there.  That's certainly fair.  They chopped them into smaller fractions in the big show after all....
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 02:33:02 AM »
Been flying the 109G6 for years. One 20mm cannon in the spinner, 2 13mm guns on the engine cowling. Not too heavily armed, yet never had problems with getting kills.
AoM
City of ice

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 05:51:20 AM »
:aok
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W