Author Topic: An Intruder last night….  (Read 3655 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: An Intruder last night….
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I think the law system is a bit messed up when, someone is in your home or property unwanted and if you give them an arse whoopin they can sue you.  There was a case here in Vermont a couple years back that happened in Rutland where an elderly lady like 65ish or something dont remember heard a noise and grabbed a shotgun went to the living room found a man inside of her house shot him, didnt kill him, but now she is in prison, and he is free to walk around.  That is NOT justice.  Like was posted before, someone breaks into your home and cuts their hand on the broken glass they can sue you for that?? :headscratch:  I have talked to cops here and they all have said, "you HAVE TO be able to PROVE that they were a threat to your life"  well I guess I would have to put one of my kitchen knives in his hand afterwards :devil  hahaha still cant get over the fact that he was swearing at you, that just blows my mind away :lol  these types should get WAY worse than just put down
[/color]

they will :aok

but that is not up to us...its up to us to make sure we send them to the one who will take care of the "punishment"  except in today's society they are barely..... givin any time..... get out in short order...and while inside..if..... they go...... they are protected by the guards.....

there is something seriously wrong in a society that will send a man to prison for life for pot...but let a child rapist walk the streets.

and people wonder why I am so disgusted with this world and the people in it.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
Agreed nothing there to take a human life over,unless he continued to approach you. Taking a life is not easy to live with. When aluminum got so high for scrap value , someone was taking my gramps irrigation pipe. Me and my cousin caught the dewd and gave him the choice . We call the police, or you take the punishment we decide on. We trussed him up to the brush plate on my cousins 4x4 and ran it through a bunch of viney maple and just a dash of blackberry briars.

That was barbaric :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 09:10:35 AM »
Colmbo, sounds like you did the prudent thing  :aok

Nobody's stuff is worth losing their own life over, I know too well.

I lived in AZ most of my life, CO for the other part, and the state laws regarding such incidences can be as different as the scenery from one to the next. Best to know the laws, sounds like you do, and some others posting here don't.

In AZ it takes certain criteria to be met that are in some ways subjective to enable lawful use of deadly force. The two most important:

Imminent fear that the perpetrator may use lethal force.

Ability of the perpetrator to use lethal force; easily established if they are wielding a weapon.

In AZ, unlike many may think, we can not shoot someone just because they break and enter, they must be a lethal threat.  

In Arizona, the criteria is if the reasonable person would be in fear for his life or great bodily harm. You would not need to establish that an intruder had the means to kill you. Unless the intruder was an 8 year old boy, the fact that they broke into your house would generally be enough to escape charges.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
I agree that post was a bit...out there.... :rofl

but I must say a good arse whoppin to the guy in your house would probably work just as well...and wont leave you with guilt the rest of your life.....unless of course he is holding a gun himself.... then he gets what he brings....

I believe just because we "can" do something, does not always mean we should.....

and when it comes to taking another persons life....

that should be the absolute last resort...

except when it comes to...child rapists....rapists in general...murderers who kill for the fun of it.........and someone who commits Murder while doing a felony....these kinds of people should all be put down.....without hesitation....and without remorse.....

I also believe every American citizen should have in their house and carry on their person some form of firearm.

burglaries/thiefs/rapes would be a hell of a lot less if they knew every house they think about entering will be armed and ready to use it.

You don't really have the luxury to examine an intruder to decide whether you can physically over power him or not before taking action. I wouldn't necessarily consider it irresponsible to avoid the hesitation that might get you killed by a weapon you don't immediately see in the adreneline fuzzed dark.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
Glad it turned out ok Columbo.  Bump in the night investigations can go horribly wrong sometimes. 

As usual the Muppets have it right.  A proper beat down or hlbly style run through the briar patch would be appropriate punishment for the transgression and tough guy attitude.  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »
Glad it turned out ok Columbo.  Bump in the night investigations can go horribly wrong sometimes. 

As usual the Muppets have it right.  A proper beat down or hlbly style run through the briar patch would be appropriate punishment for the transgression and tough guy attitude.  

Its shameful the law should deal out punishment, Hibly violated his human rights  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
you might wanna step away from the video game, and possibly even check yourself into a mental institution.

Let me clear this up a bit. No I would not have shot the guy. I stated that in the reply I had posted earlier.

Taking a human life is something I would never wish to do. I have encountered a problem like the OP's before. No I didn't shoot the guy. I told him to leave. If he didn't, I'd call the cops. He didn't.

I ended up calling the cops and they questioned him. The guy turned out to be completely wasted and was walking home. He got mixed up and somehow ended up in my yard. I went outside, and talked to him. I could tell he was hammered.

And when I said I have the instinct to fire at anything that moves, I was talking about playing DayZ. Not real life.

Don't suppose you mind if I ask, but have you ever played DayZ?
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
You don't really have the luxury to examine an intruder to decide whether you can physically over power him or not before taking action. I wouldn't necessarily consider it irresponsible to avoid the hesitation that might get you killed by a weapon you don't immediately see in the adreneline fuzzed dark.

Not to mention once an intruder has entered your home he has made the commitment to the ultimate confrontation. He has now become an immediate threat not only to you but more importantly your family and the time for second guessing and mercy has passed.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Online icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
If possible, I would never approach a building from the perpetrator's only course of exit.

If there is a window, peek first and locate the perp and see if he is unarmed.

If he's unarmed, shine the light in a window opposite from the door......if there is a window.

When he runs out, break out the wrist rocket with some round salt pellets.........this will make him run faster when applied to the middle of the back.

Corporal punishment for the win.

Fire a few shots from a gun that go safely wide while yelling "I will slit your throat and drink your blood".

Start up vehicle and careen around as if hunting him down......he will surely hear it.

He will never return.

Remember, you are in alaska where gunshots are largely ignored.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »
That was barbaric :old:

It was also a felony.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »
well I cant really argue with that thinking....a mans home is his castle and we have the right to defend said castle...whether its against the "law" or not.

except........ most people who are "burglars" are just petty thief's.....they are not there to physically hurt you....most often crack heads looking for goods to sell....

that a b$tch slap....or 2...... will more then work on....

I have been in situations that required physical confrontations....many times......when I was younger I thought it was fine to do whatever....never second guessed my actions......I have never killed anyone..... yet my past actions haunt me to this day...I cant imagine what I would feel now if I knew I killed someone....who was not deserving of death.

not until I had kids did I realize that human life is precious....

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
I have been in situations that required physical confrontations....many times......when I was younger I thought it was fine to do whatever....never second guessed my actions......I have never killed anyone..... yet my past actions haunt me to this day...I cant imagine what I would feel now if I knew I killed someone....who was not deserving of death.

Same here, in the confrontations where I came out ahead.. I always felt bad for the guy later. So I can't say I ever won a fight, I don't think anybody does. In the confrontations in which the other guy came out ahead.. I figured I had it coming to me.  :D

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »
Same here, in the confrontations where I came out ahead.. I always felt bad for the guy later. So I can't say I ever won a fight, I don't think anybody does. In the confrontations in which the other guy came out ahead.. I figured I had it coming to me.  :D

:salute

I agree no one wins a fight....but in this excellent book I read....it says "bruises will chase away demons"  :D

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
Great Title.  :lol

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
Not to mention once an intruder has entered your home he has made the commitment to the ultimate confrontation. He has now become an immediate threat not only to you but more importantly your family and the time for second guessing and mercy has passed.

Well said Shifty, I have never had to shoot anyone and God forbid I ever need to. However I believe IF it ever happened and I was forced into defending my Family, my Home, my property or my life, I would NOT loose one minute of sleep afterwards. I believe for any human, killing someone is easy, its the living with it that is hard.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76