Author Topic: Terrain Download Server Bandwidth  (Read 299 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Terrain Download Server Bandwidth
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »
It takes too much time to download the terrains. A 22 mb terrains takes about 20 min to download ~19kb/s which is about a two orders of magnitude lower than my provider's connection.

It is especially painful for SEA when you want to show up on time and you discover that you need to wait about 1/2 an hour.
For example same amount of data I download from my Amazon micro instance in 16 seconds (and it costs mt $15 a month).

Can you please improve your downloads server bandwidth or buy an Amazon server for 15 bucks a month for downloads?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:41:30 PM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Terrain Download Server Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
It is a temporary problem and will resolve itself once the telecommunications network has been repaired in the U.S. from all the damage suffered this winter.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Terrain Download Server Bandwidth
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 01:52:54 AM »
It is a temporary problem and will resolve itself once the telecommunications network has been repaired in the U.S. from all the damage suffered this winter.

Are you sure? Because there were slow downloads as long as I remember flying AH and when I returned about half a year ago it wasn't fast at all as well.

Just last time, the 20min download was very unpleasant because it made me miss 20min of SEA, so I decided to write about it.

It is possible to provide downloads mirror at Amazon farm or something like that? Maybe a European  mirror as well? Because the downloads are painfully slow. I asked couple of folks around, it took them about 5 minutes to download the same terrain which is quite slow as well.

For example, the amazon ec2 micro instance costs almost nothing even for high bandwidth usage and has very nice performance.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:58:52 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel