Author Topic: More and more bailing after bombing  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: More and more bailing after bombing
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »

I'm glad that you haven't encountered it as much as I have and that those who did bail allowed you to get into proxy range first.  Clearly you don't feel it's negatively affecting your play time.  That doesn't mean it doesn't negatively affect others.

Of behalf of those of us who have seen it more frequently, especially during our MA hours, my question to those who don't see it as often is this:

How would eliminating the ability to bomb and bail negatively affect your play in AH?

<S>
Ryno

Eliminating the ability to bail from an undamaged plane wouldn't negatively affect anything I can think of, other than the people who bail to go do something else, for whatever reason.  I'm not sure where I stand on that.  I don't do it personally, but really don't care if others want to.

What would the difference be though if instead of bailing, the guy augers?  If you say 'penalize him for augering too', how do you code it to differentiate an intentional lawndart from a legitimate screwup?  The unskilled shouldn't be penalized for the actions of the dweebish.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »

I'm glad that you haven't encountered it as much as I have and that those who did bail allowed you to get into proxy range first.  Clearly you don't feel it's negatively affecting your play time.  That doesn't mean it doesn't negatively affect others.

Of behalf of those of us who have seen it more frequently, especially during our MA hours, my question to those who don't see it as often is this:

How would eliminating the ability to bomb and bail negatively affect your play in AH?

<S>
Ryno

Having it done to me 10 times in a row in a single sortie isn't the definition of having experienced it infrequently.  I just don't let it bother me is all nor do I believe there should be any penalty imposed on those doing it as any penalty will most likely have a negative effect on the over all game play.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »

Oh, I totally agree with you that both are a weak approach to the game.  I was saying they are different in two ways; one, the bomb-auger guy is taking a death, not a bail; and two, the bomb-bail thing seems simpler to code away: just remove the ability to bail from planes not critically damaged.

FYI For scoring KD, a bail = a death
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2014, 03:00:47 PM »
I don't bail often because I'm usually shot down first!  

Now that's funny, because rumor has it it's the other guy who gets shot down.  ;)

But thinking about how and when I might bail its usually for a specific reason....base alert, squad rolling a mission or country rolling a mission you want to be apart of.....or at home something has come up!, and you just gotta go! <S>

I just don't subscribe to the "I found something better to do" reason to bail.  What about the other guy who upped to intercept and just spent 20 minutes climbing and chasing?  Bailing wastes his time and denies him the valuable opportunity learn "you simply don't attack Trip-Nines' bombers from dead six".

If you need to quit for real life issues, that's what AltF4 is for.

<S>
Ryno
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
it's not just bombers that do this.    I've had typhoons do this right infront of me eh zack!   :lol
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »
Having it done to me 10 times in a row in a single sortie isn't the definition of having experienced it infrequently.  I just don't let it bother me is all nor do I believe there should be any penalty imposed on those doing it as any penalty will most likely have a negative effect on the over all game play.

ack-ack

A small perk charge for all ord, returnable upon RTB, would tend to motivate people to RTB I believe.

EDIT: Would motivate them to RTB whether their run be bomber or jabo.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
FYI For scoring KD, a bail = a death

I think it affects perks, not score, if I remember correctly.  Luche addressed this in a recent thread on this topic specifically and I'll defer to his expertise on the subject.

To Ack-Ack and Wiley:  I'm not lobbying for a penalty (per the OPs suggestion).  I'm suggesting the removal of Enter x 3 to bail until you have sustained critical damage.  

Yes, that can be gamed as well, by intentionally breaking your plane or augering, but that takes time and is not as easy and virtually instantaneous as pressing Enter.

<S>
Ryno

p.s. I do like the perked ords idea as well.  Ords have a significant impact on the game (and how others can play), therefore they should be worth something to limit their abuse (such as suicide jabo).
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »

Yes, that can be gamed as well, by intentionally breaking your plane or augering, but that takes time and is not as easy and virtually instantaneous as pressing Enter.

<S>
Ryno

I just don't think the difference in time between 3x Enter and either overspeed and wingrip and bail or lawndart is worth the consideration.  Just MHO.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
it's not just bombers that do this.    I've had typhoons do this right infront of me eh zack!   :lol

:rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
I just don't think the difference in time between 3x Enter and either overspeed and wingrip and bail or lawndart is worth the consideration.  Just MHO.

Wiley.

I'm not sure I agree.  I may have to test this offline.  What's the fastest you can go from level flight bomb-bay doors open, to losing your drones and THEN inflict critical damage to your remaining bomber?  (If you do it with intact drones, bailing just puts you into another bomber you need to break.)  An intercepting fighter may be able to close to proxy range by then, no?

<S>
Ryno

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:34:55 PM by Kingpin »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
I'm not sure I agree.  I may have to test this offline.  What's the fastest you can go from level flight bomb-bay doors open, to losing your drones and THEN inflict critical damage to your remaining bomber?  (If you do it with intact drones, bailing just puts you into another bomber you need to break.)  An intercepting fighter may be able to close to proxy range by then, no?

<S>
Ryno

Wouldn't think it would be more than 20 seconds.  Deep dive away from the fighter, outrun drones about the time the wings depart.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
Much ado about nothing.

I had 213 kills last month, so that is how much I play.  I hunt bombers a lot.  I had maybe 1 or 2 bail all of last month.  I've had more than that bail in a month, I've had less.

I don't bother to worry about that much.  I know I won, they know I won, good enough for what we have to work with.  Tweaking the system to "punish" these few offenders will unfortunately negatively impact those that play with class so, no, let's not.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »
hey Hey no talking about my squad.. For those that dont know cmex he only flies the tempest because they complained about him being in a nikki. so to get even more of a reaction from folks he now flies the temp.. i find it funny

Offline John Galt

• Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »
The bomb and bail post again?
VDub

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »
Bombers are my favorite target!  Last night in one sortie I got five kills off of bomb and  bail characters.  I really appreciate the kills but I seriously doubt I would have got all five without receiving damage.   :banana:
AkCaine