Author Topic: Bill Nye debates Ken Ham  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Bill Nye debates Ken Ham
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
Sure, but all we need is evidence.

Its possible that there's a teapot orbiting the sun in between Earth and Mars, but the time to believe that is when I'm presented with evidence, not with assertion.

I'm sure a fine mind like yours is recognized in your scientific community by using such analogies as fine tools of debate.  Such a credibility builder
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
I'm sure a fine mind like yours is recognized in your scientific community by using such analogies as fine tools of debate.  Such a credibility builder

As debating tools go, it sure beats 'because the Bible says...'

Speaking of debating tools, has anyone asked Bill Nye what that was like for him? *ba-dum tish*

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
As debating tools go, it sure beats 'because the Bible says...'

Speaking of debating tools, has anyone asked Bill Nye what that was like for him? *ba-dum tish*

I believe his words were "deeply disturbing".
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Jabberwock

• Copper Member
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »
I'm sure a fine mind like yours is recognized in your scientific community by using such analogies as fine tools of debate.  Such a credibility builder

Its not my analogy. Russel's Teapot is a rather famous example (at least in philisopy, apologetics and science) used when discussing the burden of proof and unsubstantiated/unfalsifiable claims. Others of the same ilk would include the invisible pink unicorn, Sagan's dragon and the intangible red ribbon.

Its an example that those making the claims (i.e there is a god(s), soul, dragon or teapot) are required to support them with evidence. Otherwise, there is no rational reason to believe the claims.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
The religious debate is a lose-lose.   Asking an atheist to look for a god is like asking a thief to find a policeman.  I do laugh at the scientific hypocrisy though...and then seeing them stumble about defending it...oh the possibilities.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Jabberwock

• Copper Member
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »
Spot on :aok That's why professional fence sitters (also known as agnostics) like myself keep an open mind about the existence of some kind of omnipotent being, or an afterlife. As soon as there is some kind of evidence to support it, we'll quite happily change our minds.

On the other hand, believing in something despite piles of evidence to the contrary (Earth is 6000 years old, intelligent design, etc) is just idiotic. Or, 'faith', if you prefer that term.

Agnosticism addresses knowledge ('knowledge that', rather than 'knowledge of', which is awarness of a concept). Theism addresses belief, specifically belief in a god or gods. These are two different questions.

Thus, you can have the following:

Theist gnostic - "I believe and I know that a god/gods exists"
Theist agnostic - "I believe a god exists, but I don't know if a god exists or not"
Atheist agnostic - "I don't believe a god exists, but I don't know if a god existis or not"
Atheist gnostic - "I don't believe and I know that no god/gods exists"

With theism, there are only two possibilities: either you believe, or you don't.

Think about a jar of coins. There is either an even or an odd number of coins in the jar, just two possibilities.
The theist position is one of a positive claim, such as: "There is an even number of coins in the jar". This is analogous to the claims "There is a god/gods".
The atheist response is one of skepticism. The response is: "No evidence has been given to support the claim that there is an even number of coins, therefore I don't believe it".
Note that this is not a positive claim. The atheist is not rejecting the possibility of there being an even number of coins ("A god existis"), nor are they asserting that there is an odd number of coins ("No god exisits"). All they are asserting is that the positive claim has not meet its burden of proof and been substantiated and thus they don't believe it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:12:56 PM by Jabberwock »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »
St George slayed the last Dragon.  :old:

Thank your lucky stars!  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
"I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
St George slayed the last Dragon.  :old:
(Image removed from quote.)
Thank your lucky stars!  :old:

I though I did that when I shot down FBDragon in a friendly fire incident in FSO  :headscratch:.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »
FBDragon is a wannabe after fame... :old:
However loriettes are yet to make an acceptable rhyme or song, the closest they got was "Puff the Magic Dragon"... and no one is happy  :old:
Like Icarus, I hope his fake wings melt :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez