Author Topic: 3rd Dogfight Walkthrough Video!!  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: 3rd Dogfight Walkthrough Video!!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
This is possibly the best video on SA and the importance of threat assessment in a multi-con fight that I've seen.  I think you should post it to the Training Forum.

One of the most important points you make (other than always maneuvering based on the biggest threat) that could be elaborated on is how you maneuver to "group cons" together so you are not sandwiched between them BEFORE you convert to offensive maneuvering.  You do this several times during the engagement, especially with the Pony and 190.  

Such a simple concept deserves more attention, as it provides several advantages:

1) it is easier to track the cons visually as they are grouped to one side (or quarter) of you
2) you limit their ability to coordinate attacks
3) you limit their ability to extend and gain E
4) you give yourself multiple targets to choose from and switch to in a single attack

These are all things that your patience in setting up the fight and your SA and decision making allow you to have.

Lots to be learned from this vid.  Again well done!

<S>
Ryno
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
I haven't a clue what I just did to win.  :D

It's called on octoflugeron.  That's what an old F4/F15 guy told me one day….he said sometimes you just do some ad lib "pilot stuff" to win a fight….they called it an octoflugeron.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »
Fantastic video - I learned alot - just need to put it in to practice!

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
An exceptional video.  I have read your post in the past an use the video to reinforce the target selection process.

I had it going pretty well the other day in a F4U1A when we were attacking a base and they were there waiting.  I had a shot at Del's P38 but he showed me the skinny side then escaped downward.  I chose the next biggest threat a 190 and smoked him.  I turned toward the next threat and just before firing POW Del smokes my butt.  My question then was should I have been more aggressive on the first threat.  If chased after Del, then 190 would have picked me as I saw it.  If I concentrate on the biggest threat, and not the kill, I have let the chance go of reducing the numbers.  Tough calls.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
An exceptional video.  I have read your post in the past an use the video to reinforce the target selection process.

I had it going pretty well the other day in a F4U1A when we were attacking a base and they were there waiting.  I had a shot at Del's P38 but he showed me the skinny side then escaped downward.  I chose the next biggest threat a 190 and smoked him.  I turned toward the next threat and just before firing POW Del smokes my butt.  My question then was should I have been more aggressive on the first threat.  If chased after Del, then 190 would have picked me as I saw it.  If I concentrate on the biggest threat, and not the kill, I have let the chance go of reducing the numbers.  Tough calls.

Hard to tell without seeing any video of it but it sounds like Del turned back in for you as you went for the 190 making him the immediate threat again. That's where SA comes in. ALWAYS be looking around, and I mean ALWAYS! Watch my video again and you'll see even as I'm making an attack run on one plane I am looking around and checking on all the other targets as well. I only focus on my target when I'm getting ready to shoot.

Practice setting an internal alarm clock. When you're flying out to the fight and over enemy territory, set the clock for 5 seconds. Look around, see if there are any enemies around to your left, right, above, below, behind, or in front of you. 5 seconds later your internal alarm should be going off saying "Hey! You should check the area again!" Look around again. Look left, right, above, below, behind and in front for targets. You'll be surprised how many times you suddenly see a plane that wasn't there a second ago.

When in a small fight (1v1, 2v1, 2v2, etc) set the alarm for 2 seconds. Every 2 seconds (max) in a fight you should be checking your 6 and looking around to see if someone else is targeting you. Try not to tunnel vision onto one target. I forget who said it but someone has it in their sig "If you think you're having a 1v1 in the MA, you're SA has failed you."

When in very large furballs, like in my video here, set the internal alarm for .5-1 second. ESPECIALLY when fighting them alone. Everything, yes... literally everything, will be targeting you. Be checking up on ALL targets at ALL TIMES!

Offline eeyore

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
Now I understand why Latrobe wants to be on his own country. He will take on everyone at once and still win. Well done sir. Remind me to avoid 109F4s in the LWMA.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 06:41:54 AM »
Latrobe would you say, as a general rule of thumb, SA should have equal priority with the shot or should it have a bit higher priority than making the shot.

I do wish I would have filmed that sortie.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 07:28:34 AM »
I'd put SA slightly higher up that taking the shot. You can take the shot and get a kill, but if you don't see that other plane coming up your six then you're going to die. Keep SA up, realize the first plane is setting you up, maneuver to deal with the immediate threat on your 6, and then kill both of them once you're clear.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
I'd put SA slightly higher up that taking the shot. You can take the shot and get a kill, but if you don't see that other plane coming up your six then you're going to die. Keep SA up, realize the first plane is setting you up, maneuver to deal with the immediate threat on your 6, and then kill both of them once you're clear.

Thinking back, there is no doubt, the closer i got to shot the less my SA became.  Thanks for the advice.  I will work on upping the SA priority.