Author Topic: Heading indication while in bombsight  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Heading indication while in bombsight
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 07:27:02 AM »
Why not just call up the clipboard map and stick it in the upper right hand corner?

Ludere Vincere

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »
Why not just call up the clipboard map and stick it in the upper right hand corner?

While I agree with this above,I see no reason to not display heading,we have it in the naval guns,even get a distance readout!  I can see it being included with calibrated alt,speed and HDG.

I certainly dont see it as a game changer in any way,we already have auto calibration,so I cant see how knowing your heading will change anything. Infact I'm not sure what benefit it would be but then I dont do alot of buff runs.

:salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
Don't forget the timer.

Heading, timer, and cross hairs. Analog bombing computer.

Now if Hitech would put up partial overcast over every field and lower alt cross winds to scatter bomb salvos. As is, a clear vinyl sheet over your monitor with a grid, your compass, and a timer. And salvos that drop in a predictable straight line. You would need to make several overlays for different altitudes but, I suspect your speed will be the same on every run. I'm not sure what the ring width scale\alt\speed is in the below photo. It's a good place to start. The AAF has manuals with the bomb type travel distance @speed, @alt. Similar triangles will give you the ring widths for your alts. But, since you have a bomb run calibration mode to take the place of all that. I can only see one other reason for this. Ad hock direction changes to out wit CV drivers without having to calibrate.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »

It doesn't give you heading, only a pictorial depiction of the direction you are pointed.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
I can only see one other reason for this. Ad hock direction changes to out wit CV drivers without having to calibrate.

When attacking CVs heading changes almost never matter for calibration unless you are radically changing your airspeed, which also rarely happens when flying from the bombsight. Wind only starts at 14k, very few CVs are being attacked from that altitude.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman