Author Topic: Just My Luck  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Just My Luck
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:52 PM »
While we're on the topic about rank, let me get on my soapbox for a minute.

In my opinion, rank is something that does not phase me at all.  It would not hurt my feelings at all if we were not able to see each other's rank, or even their statistics, and let the #1 and runner-ups be a surprise at the end of the month.  I often track my own statistics to see how well I am doing, but I rarely compare it to others' stats.

I am a mix of the categories that BluBerry listed.  I don't play for score or rank, but I don't like dying.  It's almost a sense of "winning" because I didn't contribute a kill to my enemy.  But, I also will not deny a fight.  I don't fly head on into the biggest horde I can find like some pilots do.  Often times, I will try to drag a con out to try to get into a 1v1.  If I find myself at a disadvantage and have time to try to even the odds (like climbing out or extending), I will.  If it is too late, I will fight against the odds.  I never recall myself running from a fight unless I have a plane that is shredded to pieces, and I won't offer a good fight.

On the terms of a good fight, generally, if I have a fight with you, I will tell you good fight regardless of the outcome.  Now, I have been known to complain or whine at times, especially after being killed--which usually stems from my frustration in my own abilities (I am my own worst enemy and worst critic).  Sometimes I am disappointed when I actually find a 1v1 fight that begins with a guns cold merge but ends with a HO shot.  Of course, I could have done something different to even avoid that shot, but I generally do not pull the trigger.  I try to work towards a deflection or saddling up on your six, which is what I thought most older fighter pilots did as well.  But, in the end, I can only blame my death on my mistakes.

Ok, I'm done rambling.  :)
Tours 86 - 296

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
Why is it considered bad to strive for a high rank?  I've never really understood why it's held in such low esteem by some.

For someone who's supposedly only been here since January you talk an awful lot like someone who's been here for years. Especially taking into account many of your other posts.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Arbiter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »

For someone who's supposedly only been here since January you talk an awful lot like someone who's been here for years. Especially taking into account many of your other posts.

That's because I have been here for years.  I think I mentioned that.  I did once go by another name, just not the one some have claimed me to be.  :)
Arbiter