Author Topic: Last of the Grumman cats....  (Read 1823 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Re: Last of the Grumman cats....
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »
Should we also be worried about Skynet? I ask because you're obviously an expert in this field  :rolleyes:.

Well my point is if it is created by, it can be hacked
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »
Assuming you can gain access to its core programming. And if the designers have even half a brain stem, the core processor and drives will be completely independent of navigation and any wireless comm systems. And protected by the best programs paid off hackers can create.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »
Assuming you can gain access to its core programming. And if the designers have even half a brain stem, the core processor and drives will be completely independent of navigation and any wireless comm systems. And protected by the best programs paid off hackers can create.

How many times have plans for are classified military equipment been stolen.
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »
Better question: How many times have the computer systems of F-16s and other fly-by-wire aircraft been hacked the last 30 years?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »
With $26 worth off the shelf hardware you can hack in and get a Predator Video Feed.http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB126102247889095011  What do you think you can accomplish with more time and money.

You have to remember that if something is made it can be reverse engineered. Also their enough people to be bought with enough cash that have access to the blueprints and knowledge of these drones.
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 02:57:51 AM »
The difference between intercepting an unencrypted video feed being broad casted by a drone vs. actually hacking into the drone's command functions is enormous. In fact it is totally different and cannot be compared. It's the same difference as listening to an F-16 pilot's unencrypted radio communication vs. hacking the F-16's flight computers and taking control of his aircraft. Only happens in Hollywood. Never going to happen in the real world, and certainly not by goat molesters in some -stan.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:26 AM »
No, no, he's absolutely right. The US is just plain inept at security software and separation of core systems.

I hear they're upgrading the F-22's software to a freeware version of Vista, purchased from Yemen. God, what a brilliant idea!
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 05:08:23 AM »
With $26 worth off the shelf hardware you can hack in and get a Predator Video Feed.http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB126102247889095011  What do you think you can accomplish with more time and money.

You have to remember that if something is made it can be reverse engineered. Also their enough people to be bought with enough cash that have access to the blueprints and knowledge of these drones.

It is sad the US does not learn from other's mistakes by using an unprotected communications link.

In 1997 the Israeli Navy commando unit had fall in a trap by Hizballah, having 12 fatal casulties, because of the UAV's video that was intercepted and reviled the potential route of the unit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shayetet_13#Ansariya_Ambush
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 05:38:15 AM »
Countersurveillance is unfortunately an area of expertise both our armed forces and police seems almost negligently inept at.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
Countersurveillance is unfortunately an area of expertise both our armed forces and police seems almost negligently inept at.

But you can bet the NSA has read this conversation!  :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »
Hi NSA guys! Nope, just us again. Have fun!  :aok

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 12:52:41 AM »
Tell me about it Wide. Thats the main reason I left the Navy and went to the Army.  I worked on the Tomcats for 8 years and when I found out they were being decommissioned, I decided to switch branches. It kind of sucked. My dad spent 21 years out of his 40 at Grumman as an engineer on the F-14 so I was groomed to work on it.  I have hours of video of the air power demo's done by the F-14 from my days on carriers. One of my fondest memories about the F-14 was at an airshow at NAS Oceana  ( where I was stationed ). My mom and I could not find my dad anywhere so we put our heads together and we wandered over to the F-14 static display and there was my dad surrounded by Tomcat pilots answering their questions about it........ thought I would share that.

Thank you for sharing. I was born about 20 years too late to ever see the Tomcat in flight, let alone work with them.

Lucky B'tard!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 02:39:23 AM »
There's a Tomcat on display at the Aviation Museum in Tulsa. You can even sit in the cockpit.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:59 AM »
http://s933.photobucket.com/user/stryker125_2010/media/FastEagle101.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

That is me next to VF-41's " FAST EAGLE 101 ". Plane was later lost over the Meditteranen Sea due to hydraulic failure.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:18:13 AM by TOMCAT21 »
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 05:46:59 PM »
Obviously hopped up airshow stunts!  :old:

:rofl  :aok