Author Topic: Warping Drones  (Read 1079 times)

Online LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: Warping Drones
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
I've adjusted my attacks to compensate for warpy drones. I generally will attack the drones first to avoid the dreaded drone warp collisions. Occasionally I will attack the lead plane first if I think he's just about to drop. Instead of killing the lead plane, I will take one of his wingtips off. This will usually throw off his aim and let me pass his formation before he can bail and another drone warps into the lead. Warpy drones is a PITA but can be worked around.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:58:26 PM by LilMak »
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
I've adjusted my attacks to compensate for early drones. I generally will attack the drones first to avoid the dreaded drone warp collisions.

But they still warp out of your gunsight  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
:huh

I don't believe it works that way in any capacity.  They react to your maneuvering, that's about it.

Wiley.

These are the AI wingman commands available in Warbirds, I wrongly assumed they would be in AH as well.

http://www.jg-51.com/misc/aicommands.html

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
You really need more explanations ?
I mean its 110% obvious that warping your drones is a game glitch some use to defend themselves the lame way.

He means exactly that ... drones are warping all through the sky, jumping repeatedly from spot to spot. It's induced by high speed maneuvers. The drone you are aiming at will just jump out of your gunsight, or may even randomly 'collide' with you.
The bomber pilot himself can not see this behaviour, it's all created on the other players FE.

" Army Of Wolves "

Online LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
But they still warp out of your gunsight  :old:
They sometimes do but, as pro bomber killers like you and myself know, it just takes a minute to reset for the next pass. I haven't seen any guys who have been able to get drones to warp on command. Although it sucks when they do warp, I try to write it off the same way I do the collision model which kills me far more than the drone warp and can't be mitigated.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »
i usally attack the rh bomber or the center one..but usally get shot down any way
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
I only attack bombers if Banshee has softened them up first. :D

:)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »

He means exactly that ... drones are warping all through the sky, jumping repeatedly from spot to spot. It's induced by high speed maneuvers. The drone you are aiming at will just jump out of your gunsight, or may even randomly 'collide' with you.
The bomber pilot himself can not see this behaviour, it's all created on the other players FE.

I still dont quite understand but if anyone thinks Im going to sit in the #1 Bomber, flying straight and level, to make an even easier target to shoot down? They are nuts. Ive attacked groups of bombers too and never seen the drones dissapear or do anything weird like that. Sounds like a connection issue. If anybody rams a bomber, for whatever reason, then its their fault. The fighter has every advantage in maneuverability and speed.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »
I still dont quite understand but if anyone thinks Im going to sit in the #1 Bomber, flying straight and level, to make an even easier target to shoot down? They are nuts. Ive attacked groups of bombers too and never seen the drones dissapear or do anything weird like that. Sounds like a connection issue. If anybody rams a bomber, for whatever reason, then its their fault. The fighter has every advantage in maneuverability and speed.

Bombers do have 1 thing no fighter has, guns that will reach out 1.5k.

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »

Sorry but your limited experience doesn't negate the observations of others.
As far a maneuvering, turn all you want. Much of the time you'll present a much better target to me, while making your defensive gunnery harder, make your drone's guns ineffective, and allow other pursers to close. I'm very happy to put a single round in both drones then get the kill when you lose them.

But this particular case was different because of the induced warping.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »
I always target the plane with the icon first because of things mentioned here.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
I still dont quite understand but if anyone thinks Im going to sit in the #1 Bomber, flying straight and level, to make an even easier target to shoot down? They are nuts. Ive attacked groups of bombers too and never seen the drones dissapear or do anything weird like that. Sounds like a connection issue. If anybody rams a bomber, for whatever reason, then its their fault.

It's not depending on connection speed, and it's not that the fighter "rams" a bomber.

It's a drone behaviour that is triggered by a certain combination of high speed and a turn. On the fighter's screen, the drones first start to lag from the bomber more and more, and then they suddenly start jumping hundreds of feet back into position. This is often reapeating itself several times. If you were attacking the drones at that point, they jump out of your gunsight and you shoot empty space. If you were attacking the lead bomber, you are in great danger of getting hit by a warping drone.

And again, the bomber pilot himself doesn't see these drone warps, they are not showing on his own FE. So it's not necessarily willfully exploited by the bomber pilot, it's simply a flaw in the program.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
Sounds like a connection issue. If anybody rams a bomber, for whatever reason, then its their fault. The fighter has every advantage in maneuverability and speed.

Your post is clearly biased and not factual.  At high altitudes, often the bombers have the advantage in maneuverability and speed.  Warping is most often the result of a bad connection on the part of the warper, not the person seeing the warping.  To blame a fighter pilot for a bomber suddenly warping into him is just ignorant.

I know of several players who take advantage of their poor connections to intentionally get their bombers to warp.  I chatted with one of these just a few months ago, and he specifically told me he is on a satellite connection and knows he gets his bombers to warp because of all the complaints he gets about it.  Even though he can't see the warping, he knows how to induce it and maneuvers accordingly.

I don't mind bombers using defensive maneuvering, instead of their defensive guns.  However, you should IMMEDIATELY lose your drones when maneuvering at full throttle, when making high-G maneuvers or when exceeding certain speed.  Currently these tolerances are set too high and allow for too much to be realistic.

Anyone who has flown group bomber missions (like in FSO) knows the lead bomber usually needs to fly at reduced throttle, especially in turns, in order to maintain a tight formation.  In AH, you can stay at full throttle and the drones will stay with you fairly easily, sometimes while warping back into formation.

Drones are meant to represent a defensive box.  In reality, if a bomber turned out or dove from a defensive box, the other bombers would not follow him.  Unfortunately in AH we get drones following along through ridiculous maneuvers.  I have tested this and even shown trainers in the TA (so they could verify the warping) that it is possible to LOOP a lead bomber and have the drones rejoin me after a short warp.  That is just silly.

+1 for more easily lost drones

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:59:27 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
Your post is clearly biased and not factual.  At high altitudes, often the bombers have the advantage in maneuverability and speed.  Warping is most often the result of a bad connection on the part of the warper, not the person seeing the warping.  

This particular kind of high speed maneuver warping is not caused by connection issues.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »

This particular kind of high speed maneuver warping is not caused by connection issues.

Yes, there are different causes for bomber warping.  I meant to imply that when a connection issue is involved, it is most often the connection of the person seen warping (in this case the bomber pilot, not the fighter).

You typed your post while I was typing mine, so some of our comments overlapped.

<S>
Ryno
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.