Author Topic: I hope to go pick this up tommorow.  (Read 7315 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: I hope to go pick this up tommorow.
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Good choice for a family truckster Dale.  I hope it serves you and yours well

Do look hard at those Bendix dual magnetos that are "dual" but are a single drive and point of failure.  That's proven to be an issue for some of the freight haulers that operate the Six/Lance/Etc.

I know a guy who has one of those things.  They weigh 42 pounds, you're laying almost flat to the ground when on the ground and when I climbed in it I was instantly uncomfortable with the thing...which ain't all that easy.  I was sizing it up with a Cessna 180 and while the gear is wide enough and it's not really short coupled I wasn't interested in flying the thing.

By single point, I assume your talking about a drive gear that they sit on opposite sides of?

I pulled them both for an over haul. At least Alternator and vacuum pump are very low time (50 hours or so).

Also does anyone know for sure, when switching to the L on the mag test with a key switch, is that grounding the left or right mag?

HiTech

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2014, 09:43:13 AM »
Yeah.  They're a common housing as you know and the gear and shaft has failed in the past.  I have a buddy who can give you a more eloquent explanation than I can as he has experienced it as have some other Lance freight dogs.  I've never actually had one apart but it's stuck with me as something that deserves it's prescribed maintenance.

Also does anyone know for sure, when switching to the L on the mag test with a key switch, is that grounding the left or right mag?

Right.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:46:14 AM by Golfer »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »
Yeah.  They're a common housing as you know and the gear and shaft has failed in the past.  I have a buddy who can give you a more eloquent explanation than I can as he has experienced it as have some other Lance freight dogs.  I've never actually had one apart but it's stuck with me as something that deserves it's prescribed maintenance.

Right.

I've heard of that happening as a secondary effect to one mag coming apart and dropping crap into the motor. Never heard of it as the primary cause before. Either way would not be fun.

HiTech

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »
I've heard of that happening as a secondary effect to one mag coming apart and dropping crap into the motor. Never heard of it as the primary cause before. Either way would not be fun.

HiTech

He knows two other people that landed off airport when the single driveshaft failed.  Totally negating the benefit of a dual ignition system.  There are STC'd true independent magneto systems for the airplane. Worth looking into.

I can't speak to that particular company's maintenance practices but it's something I wouldn't skimp on :)

Enjoy the family truckster it's quite a good airplane.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:07:10 AM by Golfer »

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2014, 03:44:54 PM »
By single point, I assume your talking about a drive gear that they sit on opposite sides of?

I pulled them both for an over haul. At least Alternator and vacuum pump are very low time (50 hours or so).

HiTech

:airplane: Right is correct! When both is on, neither is grounded, but when you move to L or R, which ever is not engaged by the switch is grounded. I would also recommend that when checking mags, go from both to left, then back to both, then to right. If you go from both to left, then to right and then back to both, you will get an incorrect reading on the right mag because of uneven fuel burn when one is off and one is on. If you go back to both, from left, before going to right, both setting will eliminate the excess fuel vapor, prior to testing right mag.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
I wish I knew half of what Earl1937  knows <S>

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2014, 01:38:33 AM »
I wish I knew half of what Earl1937  knows <S>
:airplane: Be a full time flight instructor for 7 years and you learn a lot of things to keep you alive!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
Good luck with it, the 6 is a great ride, very stable instrument platform.  Can haul the midsize family almost anywhere.

Interesting sidebar go here http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,359427.0.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:52:25 AM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline pensley

• Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2014, 03:28:48 AM »
So it's looking like this might be mine in a few months. An opportunity arrived that I just can't pass it up. I know it's not very conducive to flying to work every day but its sure going to rank high on the fun scale!  :)
I'd rather be flying!

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
What's the ENY? :uhoh :aok :rofl :cheers:

:cheers: Oz

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2014, 12:16:13 PM »
I still have a bruise on my right knee from Hitech doing his control check in that Cherokee. Being tall sucks.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
So it's looking like this might be mine in a few months. An opportunity arrived that I just can't pass it up. I know it's not very conducive to flying to work every day but its sure going to rank high on the fun scale!  :)

That is awesome news. I've been lucky enough to have a go in one, best powered flight of my life.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »
Home at last. N7716J is now mine and has arrived at it's new home.

Also after 12 years of saying November 346 alpha kilo on the radio, and nothing else ,it is very difficult to say November 7716 Juliet.

HiTech

IIRC -- If you took and passed your amateur radio licence you could use that callsign as your plane and radio ID....but my remembering the regs on that is hazy after all these years.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
Memories . . . . . I took my flight training for my PPL in a Cherokee 140 back in the 1970's.  After I got my license, I usually flew Cessna Skyhawks because everybody wanted to be where they could look down from their seats.

Offline pensley

• Copper Member
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2014, 10:16:53 PM »

That is awesome news. I've been lucky enough to have a go in one, best powered flight of my life.

I whole heartily concur with that. What an incredibly fun airplane to fly and experience.
I'd rather be flying!