Author Topic: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.  (Read 7163 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
About 150 players when I logged in as rook yesterday evening (CET) on a map with more than 200 airfields.

One CV fight in the north (less than half radar bars) and some action in tank town (low intensity fight), isolated one-man raids around the map.

Spoke on teamspeak with a squaddie, 2 more squaddies logged in to TS, they asked if it was the same !#¤%& map as the day before, they never logged in to game when I was there.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2014, 07:00:52 AM »
for all I know they're quite happy making a comfortable living and seek nothing more, and this is what I believe to be the case.
If that's the case ,they are almost half as comfy as they where 8 years ago.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2014, 07:08:27 AM »
I'd happily fly into an arena fully loaded with gun blazing teenagers. I'm not here to dicuss tupperware, but fight.

Offline VuduVee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
i was thinking(haha, really i was) that maybe HTC had this conversation: "we need more people, but the graphics are outdated and if we spent the cash for adverts and they come and see the outdated graphics, theyll leave and our advertising money will be wasted. so, lets update these graphics and then we can advertise and that will give us our best chance to broaden and keep a bigger player base"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
They probably need new player base. Many AHers are old farts like me that have way too many private life things to do.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
If the prophesied demise of Aces High is true...

It's not. Exaggeration.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »
About 150 players when I logged in as rook yesterday evening (CET) on a map with more than 200 airfields.

One CV fight in the north (less than half radar bars) and some action in tank town (low intensity fight), isolated one-man raids around the map.

Spoke on teamspeak with a squaddie, 2 more squaddies logged in to TS, they asked if it was the same !#¤%& map as the day before, they never logged in to game when I was there.

I suspect that any reflection in low numbers should be quantified by a number of different variables. 

I won't dare to scratch upon the many discussions in the past about map rotation but before I dealt out a ton of advertising mullah, I would at least give this some consideration. 

Unless, things have changed, I thought the AvA had already included the AI planes 24 hours a day (another area to beef up, I would be satisfied mixing it up online with players and AI, if the AI didn't dive to the deck so quickly).

IMHO, a slightly different approach to gameplay/gamer recognition might interest a number of veteran players to jump back in to have a look see.  The idea of Combat Tour to have promotion in rank rather than the abundant perks, currently used to further distance elite pilots from their foes, had a number of dedicated players drooling.  Also, even I have to admit the Bf109K4 was a bit overused (I wouldn't mind only 60 players on if it meant less K4 pilots to deal with).

Anyhow, we might be splitting (ho pun intended) hairs about any real decline in players.  The OP spoke of MA numbers during off hours being around 60.  During the times of split arenas they were often in the 30's. :old:

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2014, 05:07:24 PM »
I've not played for about two years now i reckon. For me it was mechanics of the game becoming less and less "fun".  Sure i was a land grabber and the game was heading away from that, but the problem with making it harder to land grab was, instead of thinking smart about attacks, it just ended in MASS hordes which isnt fun.

Back in 2003-2008 a group of 5-10 of you could easily take a base or create a nice little battle before it fizzled out, but in 2012 it was 30 fighters 10 carpet bombers and 5 goons, and as soon as a few people upped everyone gave up.

If i wanted a quake style flight sim i would play IL2 or whatever it is these days, but i wanted a "war" simulator, something AH become less and less of.

Meh im not important anymore as i dont play it...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:09:40 PM by Overlag »
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
I just can't justify the expenses of playing AH with the dated graphics.

All that ever drove me away (for breaks) was the less then friendly atmosphere of the players.

I stopped playing because of the lack of players. Snowball effect.

I stopped playing for the same reason.

I've not played for about two years now i reckon. For me it was mechanics of the game becoming less and less "fun". 

I think I see the problem causing low numbers. It's not the game. Not really.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:10:16 PM by Arlo »

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2014, 05:11:06 PM »
I think I see the problem causing low numbers. It's not the game. Not really.

yes and no, if your old school hardcore players have left, and you havent replaced them with new people the game is over. And you have to ask yourself why did the regulars all leave?

PS i have no idea why i signed on to the forum tonight lol.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
It's not. Exaggeration.

Rather arrogant statement when I can GUARANTY Aces High WILL close it's doors. When, I haven't a clue, and hope its 50 years from now but it will close.

As the numbers continue to drop it WILL have that same effect as when the numbers dropped in MW. less people show up so less people join in. As less people play in LW the numbers drop because people see less and less players playing.

Personally I think we need to see a few things happen here.

1. We need to see something done NOW. What that is I can't say, but some action needs to be taken to show the player base that HTC is aware and they are working on it. Maybe the switch to only small maps in the rotation, maybe a mechanism to hinder "hording" and promote more "battles. This would go a long way to help KEEP the players we have. Changing the game up a bit just to make the players learn another way around how to do it right  :noid It may help keeping some even if it's only to see what "tweak" HTC is going to try next month.

2. Graphics update. As someone stated before in another thread, advertising these graphics won't pull players in as well as better graphics would. Finish the upgrade.

3. Advertising. TV ads are great but also cost a small fortune. They need to get around that by looking for cheap ways. Social media is a good start. We as players can spread the word by linking to the Aces High pages. Spring is coming (thank the lord!!!). With spring comes air shows. We have players from all over the world who attend these shows. Whats it cost to rent a table at one and setup a computer? Have a local Aces High player (give him a month free subscription for going) hawk the game at the shows.  

The sky may not be falling today, but it can't be that far off if the number drops we have seen are any indication.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »
yes and no, if your old school hardcore players have left, and you havent replaced them with new people the game is over. And you have to ask yourself why did the regulars all leave?

PS i have no idea why i signed on to the forum tonight lol.

The 'mechanics' of the game are really the same (other than improvements made along the way). HTC keeps a finger on the pulse of it's player base for that very reason. This isn't a division of Microsoft. If players are quitting for reasons other than financial burden or death, they're probably not that hardcore. If they're quitting because of numbers they're admitting they are part of that problem.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »
Rather arrogant statement when I can GUARANTEE Aces High WILL close it's doors. When, I haven't a clue, and hope its 50 years from now but it will close.

You're looking too hard for arrogance in that statement, then. I've already mentioned that the graphics tweak some 'require' to play this game is in the works. I've suggested potential methods of commercial marketing (doesn't have to be TV ads - Minecraft has proven that). But the game is still currently sustainable and players taking the time to post in a forum thread about dwindling numbers and that they liked the game but won't play because of said dwindling numbers (or 'game mechanics' or the graphics suddenly weren't good enough compared to other games,when it was just fine before) is .... ironic.

If this community want's Aces High around .... all THEY have to do .... is play.

Yes,we know Dale isn't immortal. We also know that this is more than a paycheck to him. He's part of this community too. He's hardcore.  :D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:32:31 PM by Arlo »

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
The 'mechanics' of the game are really the same (other than improvements made along the way). HTC keeps a finger on the pulse of it's player base for that very reason. This isn't a division of Microsoft. If players are quitting for reasons other than financial burden or death, they're probably not that hardcore. If they're quitting because of numbers they're admitting they are part of that problem.

the mechanics have changed massively over the years. These days (well 2012 for me) the games are pretty static, simply because unless you got a mass horde going on you couldnt take land/bases meaning you was stuck on the same map for the whole week.  Its almost like when i first started it was WWII and now its like WWI, all dug in and no progress possible.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
the mechanics have changed massively over the years. These days (well 2012 for me) the games are pretty static, simply because unless you got a mass horde going on you couldnt take land/bases meaning you was stuck on the same map for the whole week.  Its almost like when i first started it was WWII and now its like WWI, all dug in and no progress possible.

Takes numbers? Go figure. Guess we could all dogfight instead of land grab. I've always said I don't play this game enough (and I obviously need dogfighting practice).  :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:39:59 PM by Arlo »