Author Topic: Big Rat  (Read 800 times)

Offline Onyx13

• Zinc Member
Big Rat
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Big Rat
 I would like to schedule time for some training in the corsair. I hear your one of the best. I have been in Aces High for about 4 years and feel I am a average or above in some planes. I have always liked the F4U, and believe it might be the best fighter in the game when flown correctly. I am available almost nights from 7pm until 2am or 1 till 5 pm eastern time.

Onyx :salute 

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Big Rat
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »
Onyx,

Sorry for just seeing this post now, I normally take the weekends off. Try and catch me tomorrow (Tuesday) at 9 central time in the TA, I do have a scheduled appointment that day but he often can't make it so many times I'm free. Worst case scenario, you can ride along tomorrow while I work and we'll set you up something as far as a regular time from there.

:salute
BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Onyx13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »
Thanks
I might not be able to get on until about 11:30 eastern time. If that's not good let me know and we can reschedule.  :x

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
I once asked BigRat for help with the Hellcat and he made me fly that horrible Corsair.  Don't trust him.   :noid
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
I once asked BigRat for help with the Hellcat and he made me fly that horrible Corsair.  Don't trust him.   :noid

Well I knew I would end up behind your low six most of the time so I wanted you to be able to see me :D :lol.  Funny thing about the Hellcat, in FSO it tends to be one of my very best aircraft, think it's becouse I'm always paranoid there's something behind me :uhoh.  Which is the opposite of my 109 flying where I always wonder if there's something in front of me :lol.

BigRat
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
Thanks
I might not be able to get on until about 11:30 eastern time. If that's not good let me know and we can reschedule.  :x

Let's see, that would be 10:30 central time.  Yea, that would be getting a bit late for me (stupid work in the morning :mad:).  What's your evening schedule during the week as far as available times?

BigRat

Offline Onyx13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
Any night is fine just name the time and what country in the TA.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »
I have tried very hard to learn the hog, but I have zero luck with it. If you try to turn fight, you get beat by Spits, if you try to BnZ you get caught by Mustangs.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
Muzzy,

The trick with the Hog is to minimize the exposure of your weaknesses and exploit your strengths.

weakness:
climb
acceleration

Strength:
Top speed
Roll rate
dive speed
flaps

Always gain the high ground early while you can exchange your initial high speed for alt (won't be an option later in the fight).  Make your opponent fight up to you while you are able to use you roll rate to cut corners and great flaps to pull inside for gun solutions. E conservation is critical do to the very lack luster acceleration, Flaps should be used in bursts not left to hang.  Flown correctly in a turn fight you will try and wear out your flap buttons as you try and conserve E to be able to maintain working the verticle. Any sort of rolling fight is your friend, Rolling scissors with a good hog pilot should be death for most aircraft. The hog flown correctly is one of the busiest planes in the game if not the busiest, there are harder aircraft to fly but I don't know of any more busy in this game. 

BigRat