Author Topic: Seen this and thought I'd get opinions on it  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Seen this and thought I'd get opinions on it
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
Often comparisons  like those arent apples to apples. For that extra $150 you can often get better individual parts. Not all parts with similar surface specs are the same

My comparison is apples to apples.  That's the whole point of it.  It is comparing what it would cost to build one's own equivalent to that Dell system and finding that the Dell is cheaper.

"For that extra $150 you can often get better individual parts."  I'm perplexed by that.  The build it yourself system costs more than the Dell, not the other way around.  Do you mean that the parts I list for the build-it-yourself system could be better than what I list and still cost $645?  I picked all of the cheapest stuff on Newegg.  If you pick better stuff, it will likely cost even more than what I list.  But that's beside the point anyway as I was already assuming that it's fine stuff (even if I was picking stuff so cheap that it isn't fine stuff).  I was being obliging in favor of the build-it approach, and still the Dell is cheaper.

My thesis: 
-- You can't beat the price of that Dell system.
-- That Dell system gives me the performance I'm after in AH today and likely for a couple years to come, so I don't desire to pay for more performance or features that don't matter to me.
-- Dell systems for me have had perfect reliability, so you can at best match it, not beat it there.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »
I seen this a few days ago and thought I would get some opinions on the components and overall price.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx

What caught my attention was the payment plans, instead of 'pay for it all now then receive' you can pay it monthly, giving you time to pay it off while owning it.

Sound too good to be true?

If you haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, don't do it.  We used the X51 for a trade show (replacing the Aurora R3s we used to use) and at least a quarter of the X51s suffered failures from over heating. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
If you haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, don't do it.  We used the X51 for a trade show (replacing the Aurora R3s we used to use) and at least a quarter of the X51s suffered failures from over heating. 

ack-ack

He didn't get that one. He is waiting for 3 or so months and purchasing something else last we talked.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »
Yes, well the deduction only reduces the effective borrowing rate. At question is whether inflation outpaces the effective rate on your borrowing. If it does, you should hold the debt since every year devalues that principal. Fact: inflation favors the debtor. I suspect inflation outpaces mortgages rates right now despite the reported CPI metrics. Why? because the FEd doesn't like to report higher inflation (political pressure), and, as with any metric, there are a number of ways to game it. For example, the Fed can substitute "like  value/use" goods to the preexisting basket with which they measure CPI. There are also a variety of layers, as with unemployment (consider that the U6 counts disaffecteds while the typically reported rate does not) - the same applies to reported inflation.

Do a little experiment if you like: go get commodity price data and check any commodity's trace against the various periods of quantitative easing we've had. If you believe that 1 commodity can fluctuate due to specific variation, do 10 of 'em. The result will  be quite enlightening. I did this experiment, I want to say, around the March 2010 round. Guess what commodities do when you print currency..?

So, when I told the kid not to hold debt but rather cash, I could've been more clear. Better to hold assets that hedge you against a nutjob with a printing press. THe object lesson is the same, though. Besides, if he's going to lay out for a computer, why not get one that can run more than one OS? I've got a whole network of those badboys - and I run AH on the damned oldest one using windows, no less. Mac... the other red meat.

I dont disagree but you fail to remember  dont live in the US and have different rules for taxation and the like.  I was able to reduce my mortgage from 25 years to 15 simply by paying the mortgage on a weekly basis not once a month! As I said the first month you do this can be tough because you must pay the whole month and then the first weeks payment and depending on your payments some can find this most difficult.

I also took advantage of the fact I could pay up to 10% of the principle on the aniversery date of the mortgage,I didnt always make the whole 10% payment but even a couple thousand nocks down the principle and the interest owing! I was looking at paying mostly interest for 25 years and after it's all said and done it would amount to 3 times the cost of the house if I would have paid as my bank would have liked me to.

We dont get to writeoff interest on the mortgage like you can in the US so it's in most Canadians best INTEREST to shorten the time they pay on their mortgage.

AS always YMMV.

:salute

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 02:11:34 PM »
He didn't get that one. He is waiting for 3 or so months and purchasing something else last we talked.

That's correct.

I do my research well before hand  :D
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend