Author Topic: It's just not worth it...  (Read 1302 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: It's just not worth it...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
Erm...take drop tanks?

Offline Sg11

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »
There is no point in climbing to 20k, and if you do you will find yourself diving down to 13k at least to get a kill. This is one part that makes this game unique, gotta conserve and watch out for your ammo and gas,, that unlimited crap is for am amateurs... It is a part with being generally new to this game.. it is very difficult. That is why you gotta be aggressive and not be afraid to go to the DA to fight or to ask people to help with ACM because in this game it is important.

+1

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »
This. Once I'm wheels up, I'm rarely at full power outside of combat unless I'm in a hurry. Open up your E6B for your power settings. Use 44" MAP and 2250 RPM for your climb to altitude, then pull back to 36" MAP @ 2150 RPM for cruise once you're at there for the F4Us and F6Fs (I think that applies to the P-47s as well, which also use the R-2800). The F4U-1 and F4U-1A have a LOT of loiter time on internal fuel, and you shouldn't need a DT at all. Burn the L/R wings to 25% and 50%, respectively, before switching to main and you've got a nice reserve that will get you about a sector if your main tank gets holed.
Probably the best way to get max endurance. But I try not to mess with the settings too much. By just using RPM and keeping the manifold full forward, I can come back to full power by simply hitting the WEP. My typical load in most Jugs is 75% internal and the centerline drop tank. The DT gets me to 15k at military power and I then have 30 minutes of flight time at full military. It's pretty rare in the MA that I ever need more fuel than that. If you're hunting buffs over long distances, the 47N is your bird. Range on par with a mustang, better gun package than the un-perked blue birds, and faster than both at altitudes in excess of 25k.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:15 AM »
I understand it's for the realness and balance of the game... Wierd.. I guess adapt and change..  :airplane:
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
I rarely mess with RPM and mainly stick to throttle work... But if RPM settings make such a difference, I'm willing to do some studying.  Where could I find info on this for german ac?
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
Open up E6B. It will give you the power settings for whatever aircraft you're flying.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »
He must only be trying short legger planes, like the Spit,
which is almost dry as soon as you take off :aok
(Of course I'm exaggerating, but Spits are definitely not long range)

:cheers: Oz

Spit VIII has some great legs in comparison to the rest of the family.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
^^^ Creep Status

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 12:29:46 PM »
And spits? U.S. all the way mang!!

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Craz, fly Deutch for a tour and you'll appreciate those US birds a lot better...  :devil
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:27 PM »
Huh?  Yea they are all good, I used to fly the spit vb mostly in Warbirds, cause it had that nice blend of characteristics if you will.. but I like to play the game sometimes thinking, if it was go-time in WW2 and I was there, maybe I would be an f6f pilot?? Or f4u pilot?? Or p38 pilot??  I'm with the f4u at the moment.. what a nice plane indeed..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:56:42 PM by craz07 »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
And spits? U.S. all the way mang!!

A F4U-1a at full internal, even without DTs, has about 35 minutes of flight time left at full MIL after reaching 27K. If it would drop down to the deck instantly, it would still be ~30 minutes.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
Yep, good call on that... didn't really crunch the numbers yet.. was just going I guess by inane past flying experience lol  :rolleyes: P.S. what does inane really mean idk..

Offline Gray

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »
Throttle reduction along with a few taps on the "-" key can give plenty of range to Navy birds in cruise mode, especially above 12K.   Just hit WEP "P" key to instantly reset to full power. 

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:15 AM »
We all know there is only two throttle positions, Full power and WEP.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"