Author Topic: Blank P-51 Scheme????  (Read 967 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Blank P-51 Scheme????
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
Trying to repaint the default skin to get rid of the invasion stripes, etc. is a bigger pain than I thought.  Is there a bare metal one out there anyone can loan me?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:31:30 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Blank P-51 Scheme????
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
LOL!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of skinning where were all new skins layers are jealously guarded by those who put the time in to build them.

The way your suppose to do it is to use the default skin as a template and your to draw every dot/rivet, every panel line, every smudge every piece of art work over the top of the default one. Your not suppose to try and erase part of the original to add other things and call it your own. That would be cheating.

Check out Krusty's Skinning Tutorial for a good start on how to do it the right way. Some of these skins these guys do have 50 layers each with some significant part of the skin.... rivet, rivet shadows, vertical panel lines, horizontal panel lines ripples, colors, badges, nose arts, stains and so on.

It's a lot of work and many don't like to give there hard work away.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
LOL!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of skinning where were all new skins layers are jealously guarded by those who put the time in to build them.

The way your suppose to do it is to use the default skin as a template and your to draw every dot/rivet, every panel line, every smudge every piece of art work over the top of the default one. Your not suppose to try and erase part of the original to add other things and call it your own. That would be cheating.

Check out Krusty's Skinning Tutorial for a good start on how to do it the right way. Some of these skins these guys do have 50 layers each with some significant part of the skin.... rivet, rivet shadows, vertical panel lines, horizontal panel lines ripples, colors, badges, nose arts, stains and so on.

It's a lot of work and many don't like to give there hard work away.

I would take a blank one that is all white over this. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »

I would take a blank one that is all white over this. 

I don't see that happening...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
I don't see that happening...

Can I use the bump map and rename it?  It is mostly silver.  That would make it easier.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »
its not that difficult...just create a new transparent layer over the default one...use the path tool and stroke it with 2 pixel size dots...for the rivets...the paint line tool with "shift" (usually) will give you straight lines...you can trace right over the lines from the default image..onto your new layer...

create the rivets with 4 layers...a black layer blurred by 2  offset by 2 pixels...a white layer blurred by 2 offset the opposite angle.....

another black and another white layer blurred by 6 or so...those you can change the mode to multiply...or whatever looks good.    
the panel lines can be just 1 black with 1 white layer for highlights but another black blurred a bit more gives a nice shadow underneath.

I then create the bare metal layers....the panel line gives you the exact map of the panels....each one should be slightly different in color and grain...

use noise and then blurr the noise by 100+ in the horizontal direction....and only 2 or so in the vertical...(switch this around for each metal layer for differences in the metal sheets that make up the body)

ill take a new layer and use the free select tool to mark out a few different panels color fill with a grey...then add the noise....

add a new layer and do the same...until all the bare metal is done and then merge all those into 1 layer....

then create the paint layers....free select tool the body area that is paint and fill color the proper color...do a new layer select the color from the layer underneath and then on the new layer add some plasma clouds desaturate the color and then overlay/ or multiply with a soft opaqueness maybe around 40%
  free select the panel edges and erase the paint color with a different type of brush use a spotted one or whatever looks good to you......the bare metal layer underneath will show through...looks good for weathering....

then the insignia layer....

then the exhaust/dirt layers...

image needs to be 1024by1024......indexed.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:09:15 AM »
Excellent info Ink.  TY.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:46 AM »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
Vraciu, remember that skinning is an art. You will get out of it what you put into it. If you go about it with the attitude of learning and improving, then this community will show you its support for your efforts. But to earn that respect, you can't go at it half-assed. Instead start from scratch, learn ths steps (ink layed them out pretty well) and develop your own style. Also, spend some time looking at skins in game that you particulary like, and analyse those aspects that you'd like to emulate on your own skins. You'll find that different skinners have strengths in different areas of creating effects. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and understand that any criticism shown is made with the intent of helping to improve your work.

That covers the artistic part. But there is another aspect that in my opinion is equally important. Do your research on a subject, understand the subtle details. Compile as much reference material as you can on the aircraft. Plastic model reference books are especially useful. Use that knowlege to fill in the blanks of the speciffic scheme. Lets say you wanted to skin Bf 109 that you found a picture of. Can you narrow it down the model (109G etc), or even subtype (109G-2)? The more you know, the better you can make reasonable conclusuions about the details you can't see. Try to understand the conventions regarding paint color selections and placement. Try to figure the likely paint wear and weathering patterns. You will find that most criticism you recieve will be for research errors, not for artistic faults, that is why the research is so important.

Good luck and be sure you share your progress.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:22:28 AM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »
I think the last skin I made had ~ 60 layers...

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »

You do a lot better than I do then. My 109K4 Skin had 102 layers, including the original bmp files and the textures.
Top Gun

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
It might be almost that many if you include the sub-layers :)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »

Wow.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »
Vraciu, remember that skinning is an art. You will get out of it what you put into it. If you go about it with the attitude of learning and improving, then this community will show you its support for your efforts. But to earn that respect, you can't go at it half-assed. Instead start from scratch, learn ths steps (ink layed them out pretty well) and develop your own style. Also, spend some time looking at skins in game that you particulary like, and analyse those aspects that you'd like to emulate on your own skins. You'll find that different skinners have strengths in different areas of creating effects. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and understand that any criticism shown is made with the intent of helping to improve your work.

That covers the artistic part. But there is another aspect that in my opinion is equally important. Do your research on a subject, understand the subtle details. Compile as much reference material as you can on the aircraft. Plastic model reference books are especially useful. Use that knowlege to fill in the blanks of the speciffic scheme. Lets say you wanted to skin Bf 109 that you found a picture of. Can you narrow it down the model (109G etc), or even subtype (109G-2)? The more you know, the better you can make reasonable conclusuions about the details you can't see. Try to understand the conventions regarding paint color selections and placement. Try to figure the likely paint wear and weathering patterns. You will find that most criticism you recieve will be for research errors, not for artistic faults, that is why the research is so important.

Good luck and be sure you share your progress.  :cheers:

Thanks.  One thing I have noticed on the Mustang is...   When looking to the side the wings on the default don't look smooth but angled.  The 353rd/352nd Yellow and Black Pony skin seems much smoother (love the silver color on that ride) but the angles are still there a bit.   Is this angled look an effect of the game or the way it is skinned.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
It could be either sir!
Hornet Paint Shop Skins: Now Ingame  B-29  B-24  B-17     Current Project

Member of the 97th Bomb Group