Author Topic: headphones  (Read 2738 times)

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
Re: headphones
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:51 AM »
As mentioned earlier I received a Turtle Beach Seven surroud hedset.

It sits a bit tight, but that will wear off me having a big head  :D Earcaps are very comfy, hand stitched leather, nice and soft.

Comparing to an ordinary stereo headset, it is a big difference. Yet there are some issues making it hard to get used to it.

I hear a bandit's engine on my 6 from 825 yds. I can tell if he is straight, left or right behind me. Even difference in altitude is audible. When I look straight forward. And here the trouble starts.

The headset tries to interpret the sound to your view ( me using Track IR here ). So when a bandit is on my 6 and I look around to spot the bandit, sound comes from the front as well.

That makes it rather confusing to think about angles as you receive contradictuary information. View says rear ears say in front. I hope it only takes time to get used to it.

Also an issue, in a furball with multiple cons you hear everybody, which can be a lot of sound. And an airplane engine is an airplane engine, you have to look at the source to confirm it is hostile or friendly.

Gives you a better SA somehow but often you end up dodging friendlies....

It gets even worse when gv's are around. I hear any gv engine beyond Icon range ( that is 1,5 k I believe? ), mixed up with airplane engines, guns on ground and in the air is a lot of information to handle.

In the end it means to sit down and finetune all available sounds in game to get the information you need. Also you have a lot to fiddle regarding surround angles, speaker volumes and so on.

Does anyone have a surround headset who would like to share his advanced sound settings? Would be appreciated!

To be continued.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 07:25:48 AM »
As mentioned earlier I received a Turtle Beach Seven surroud hedset.

It sits a bit tight, but that will wear off me having a big head  :D Earcaps are very comfy, hand stitched leather, nice and soft.

Comparing to an ordinary stereo headset, it is a big difference. Yet there are some issues making it hard to get used to it.

I hear a bandit's engine on my 6 from 825 yds. I can tell if he is straight, left or right behind me. Even difference in altitude is audible. When I look straight forward. And here the trouble starts.

The headset tries to interpret the sound to your view ( me using Track IR here ). So when a bandit is on my 6 and I look around to spot the bandit, sound comes from the front as well.

That makes it rather confusing to think about angles as you receive contradictuary information. View says rear ears say in front. I hope it only takes time to get used to it.

Also an issue, in a furball with multiple cons you hear everybody, which can be a lot of sound. And an airplane engine is an airplane engine, you have to look at the source to confirm it is hostile or friendly.

Gives you a better SA somehow but often you end up dodging friendlies....

It gets even worse when gv's are around. I hear any gv engine beyond Icon range ( that is 1,5 k I believe? ), mixed up with airplane engines, guns on ground and in the air is a lot of information to handle.

In the end it means to sit down and finetune all available sounds in game to get the information you need. Also you have a lot to fiddle regarding surround angles, speaker volumes and so on.

Does anyone have a surround headset who would like to share his advanced sound settings? Would be appreciated!

To be continued.

I think this is because you have multipliers in your trackir, your head movement is exaggerated 'on screen' so the sound doesn't match your head position.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »
I think this is because you have multipliers in your trackir, your head movement is exaggerated 'on screen' so the sound doesn't match your head position.
I don't think so. If there's someone on your six and you look left, you should hear him with your left ear no matter which method you're using for turning your virtual head. A thumb on a hat switch is just as exaggerating as a boosted head movement.

The multipliers in TrackIr would cause issues only if also your headset had movement sensors and if the sensors were out of sync.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
If somebody is on my six and I look left I hear them on my left ear.   I think some people may hear sound from different directions and they move their heart to fast or use the thumb switches too fast then there's that small delay between what you see and what you hear.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 03:06:33 AM »
Best use I came up with for Turtle Beach Surround was as a projectile as featured for hit #6 & #7 for tanks.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 07:41:31 AM »
Best use I came up with for Turtle Beach Surround was as a projectile as featured for hit #6 & #7 for tanks.

Did not try vehicles yet but I expect it to be good fun when you can pinpoint noises in a better way than simplified stereo.

The sound moves. I did a test on ( soooorrryyy  :D ) WarThunder, same issue. Looking straight I hear someone approach, look straight at bandit to identify, sound moves to front speaker.

Any of the Logitech 35 owners that can tell of similar experience?
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »
Did not try vehicles yet but I expect it to be good fun when you can pinpoint noises in a better way than simplified stereo.

The sound moves. I did a test on ( soooorrryyy  :D ) WarThunder, same issue. Looking straight I hear someone approach, look straight at bandit to identify, sound moves to front speaker.

Any of the Logitech 35 owners that can tell of similar experience?

The sound is supposed to move to the front speaker when you look at the enemy. Your front faces the enemy where the sound originates from.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »
The sound is supposed to move to the front speaker when you look at the enemy. Your front faces the enemy where the sound originates from.
Exactly. That's what would happen in real life, too. If you turn your nose towards a sound source, you'd hear it with both ears. I somewhat understand your concern, though, because IRL you can also just move your eyes to find something you hear in which case your ears won't move, nor does the sound direction. That feature hasn't been modelled in games yet. If you have problems with that, imagine you'd be using binoculars all of the time while playing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
I think he wants it to work like a backup camera in a car.  He hears something behind him and when he looks at the "backup camera", i.e. the view behind him, he still wants the sound to come from behind him.

That's not how it is set up.  It is simulating you turning your body and head around to look behind you, so under that scenario the sound properly should come from in "front", i.e. what you're looking at, as everyone has pointed out.  Obviously, you can't really turn around as you'd be looking at the back wall and not your display monitor.  It's a frame of reference thing.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2014, 03:16:33 AM »
I think he wants it to work like a backup camera in a car.  He hears something behind him and when he looks at the "backup camera", i.e. the view behind him, he still wants the sound to come from behind him.

That's not how it is set up.  It is simulating you turning your body and head around to look behind you, so under that scenario the sound properly should come from in "front", i.e. what you're looking at, as everyone has pointed out.  Obviously, you can't really turn around as you'd be looking at the back wall and not your display monitor.  It's a frame of reference thing.

This is exactly what I meant by TrackIR having a multiplier. What you see doesn't match your natural head movement and hearing.

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »
This is exactly what I meant by TrackIR having a multiplier. What you see doesn't match your natural head movement and hearing.

Good thoughts alltogether here,

My "multiplier" is set at 0.5 as I am not to keen at jumping all over the place to keep my eyes on a bandit.

As I can cover my screen with my eyes I do not have to move a lot, only looking like over your wing or 5 and 7 oclock positions really make you "move" . Also, moving too much really kills any gunnery ....

The sound yet seems to be setup in not very fine steps. Look at your 1:30 position and sounds moves to 3 oclock more or less. I would have expected a bit more "finetuning"

I do believe they are available ( a program that comes with it ) but it has like thousands of options so it's gonna take a while to get it figured out I am afraid.
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »
I personally love my Sennheiser PC360 headset; the sound quality is great and the microphone is clear and doesn't garble when I am talking; unless I am drunk. Since I don't play flight sims as much anymore I love the sound within ArmA3 and using the JSRS sound mod there. It allows me to track all the sounds of the battlefield without having to turn my head to tell that the snap crack of a round hitting close to me is coming from my right or left and the same for the crunch of feet on gravel when laying up in ambush for an enemy squad walking down a path or road.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »
Info about Trck Ir Multiplyer was interesting :old:

When someone explains obvious its always a good thing :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC