Author Topic: P38 Performance  (Read 7382 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: P38 Performance
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »
... the shaking and loss of control is sufficient for AH needs.

Whereas in real life the aircraft would "tuck under" and go into a vertical, sometimes even slightly inverted dive in the opposite direction.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
I used auto pilot, which only controls trim IIRC.

So compressibility effects are not really modeled in AH?

You used the auto pilot mode that maintains your dive angle and your dive angle didn't change. That sounds right. You might want to try a manual trim for level cruise.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
I used auto pilot, which only controls trim IIRC.

So compressibility effects are not really modeled in AH?

If you used auto pilot, Im assuming auto-angle, it would have cancelled any pitch down from mach tach.  I suggest manually trimming for the dive then "freeze" the stick and watch for pitching.

No idea if they are or not, just "think" they probably aren't other than the shaking and control loss we see.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
No it wouldn't. Mach tucking was not correctable by using the controls. That's why it was a problem in the first place.

Mach tuck should start at M .68 in the P-38, but somehow it can stay perfectly controllable (though heavy on the controls) at M .72 or more, even without using the dive flaps. This gives the P-38 a capability it never had in real life, and I can only assume it's the same with the P-47. High altitude combat in AH scenarios then become anything but historically correct.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:13:50 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
No it wouldn't. Mach tucking was not correctable by using the controls. That's why it was a problem in the first place.

Mach tuck should start at M .68 in the P-38, but somehow it can stay perfectly controllable (though heavy on the controls) at M .72 or more, even without using the dive flaps. This gives the P-38 a capability it never had in real life, and I can only assume it's the same with the P-47. High altitude combat in AH scenarios then become anything but historically correct.

What you did show is that the auto angle mode isn't historically correct.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »
The auto pilot in AH only controls trim input. It doesn't even have enough authority to prevent the 109K from drifting off course in a WEP climb.

Go test it yourself in you don't believe me. Take a P-38 above M .68 and test it. I bet if you turn off combat trim and trim neutral before diving it will even pull out of the dive by itself, rather than tuck under like it should.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »

Keep in mind at subsonic speeds there may be no boundary layer disturbance behind the open dive flap.  When separation occurs the change down wash angle is unknown at least to us.  HTC may have the information and it may be modeled.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »
The auto pilot in AH only controls trim input. It doesn't even have enough authority to prevent the 109K from drifting off course in a WEP climb.

Go test it yourself in you don't believe me. Take a P-38 above M .68 and test it. I bet if you turn off combat trim and trim neutral before diving it will even pull out of the dive by itself, rather than tuck under like it should.

That sounds like the test you should have done.   :D

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »

I was doing some dives this morning in the P-38.  I established desired dive angle, hit auto angle to trim for that angle then turned auto OFF.  It held the angle fine all the way up to loss of control authority.  The dives I did started at 20K.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2014, 09:54:55 PM »
If you load the TA terrain for offline you can spawn at 30k from one of the fields. Makes for easier testing. Diving from 20k you get into the denser air too soon.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2014, 10:13:58 PM »
If you load the TA terrain for offline you can spawn at 30k from one of the fields. Makes for easier testing. Diving from 20k you get into the denser air too soon.

Yeah, I was using the TA terrain but only found a 20K field/air start.
Columbo

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2014, 10:15:12 PM »
Keep in mind at subsonic speeds there may be no boundary layer disturbance behind the open dive flap.  When separation occurs the change down wash angle is unknown at least to us.  HTC may have the information and it may be modeled.

Localized supersonic airflow starts occurring at M .68 in the P-38. The real one that is. I was passing M .72 in the cartoon one and experienced no adverse effects beyond control stiffness and screen shaking.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »
Yeah, I was using the TA terrain but only found a 20K field/air start.

It's field number A3,  it's not Bishop by default. It's NW of  A1 and the SE spawn is 30k over A1.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:07:27 AM by FLS »