Author Topic: P-38 dive flaps produce no drag  (Read 12226 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-38 dive flaps produce no drag
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 05:47:23 AM »
According to this article in Aviation News from 1945 the P-47 dive flaps had an extension angle of 21 degrees.  In AH it opens to 90 degrees. I hope that will be adjusted along with the P-38L.                 

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/Content/1945/P47_Av_4502_dive-flap.html

There was also an error with the Spitfire flaps until last year. The graphics model was fixed quickly when it was reported. Do not know which angle the flight model was (and indeed is) using.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
One has to wonder... If the dive flaps somehow magically did not create drag, why were they then made retractable? Seems like an unnecessary complication. The stall strips on the F4U were just bolted on the leading edge since they didn't create enough drag to warrant doing something about it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »
One has to wonder... If the dive flaps somehow magically did not create drag, why were they then made retractable? Seems like an unnecessary complication. The stall strips on the F4U were just bolted on the leading edge since they didn't create enough drag to warrant doing something about it.

I really don't think anyone is disputing that the dive recovery flaps created drag, the question is how much drag and how much it effected performance.  I realize you found where it said a 59% increase over the wing drag alone….but what does that mean in the big picture for the P-38s performance.

I agree that we should see some effect from deploying the dive flaps in the sense the aircraft should slow…..I just don't know how much it should be effected.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
Then why carry on this nonsense about the TAS not increasing?

Also please stop calling it "subsonic flight" or "supersonic flight". The P-38 is always subsonic. Localized supersonic airflow does not mean the aircraft is in supersonic flight.
Bro you are wasting your time . He is not honest enough to admit you have a point. I argued with him for three years about a bug he liked. He still argues even though it has been fixed. I would like to know how the flaps and aileron boost add no weight. The J is too heavy in game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:31:26 PM by hlbly »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »
Bro you are wasting your time . He is not honest enough to admit you have a point. I argued with him for three years about a bug he liked. He still argues even though it has been fixed. I would like to know how the flaps and aileron boost add no weight. The J is too heavy in game.

I'm disappointed that you can harass me for years and HTC does nothing about it.  If you accused Hitech of dishonesty I doubt you'd still be here.

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
I'm disappointed that you can harass me for years and HTC does nothing about it.  If you accused Hitech of dishonesty I doubt you'd still be here.
ROFL harass you for years ?  :noid :noid

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »

Because they can reduce lift and alter the downwash angle in real life..

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:30 AM »
I'm disappointed that you can harass me for years and HTC does nothing about it.

Admitting you were wrong when you are is a marvelous way to immediately stop harassment and not look like a prideful arrogant horse's arse from that point forward.

This thread is now officially retarded. GScholz has clearly found a bug and people are arguing about his methodology and the merit / demerit of correcting it. Welcome to the Aces High forum where one can easily get an argument that black is white.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2014, 04:17:43 AM »
Admitting you were wrong when you are is a marvelous way to immediately stop harassment and not look like a prideful arrogant horse's arse from that point forward.

This thread is now officially retarded. GScholz has clearly found a bug and people are arguing about his methodology and the merit / demerit of correcting it. Welcome to the Aces High forum where one can easily get an argument that black is white.

Speaking of which. Neither one of you noticed that I agree with Gscholz and I posted the data that supports his case?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2014, 05:02:49 AM »
Speaking of which. Neither one of you noticed that I agree with Gscholz and I posted the data that supports his case?

That's a separate issue. You did (naturally) take the opportunity to criticize Gscholz's testing method which was entirely irrelevant to his discovery of this bug in the flight model.

Eventually maybe you will notice the consistent element in these unnecessarily awkward exchanges is you.

:salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »
That's a separate issue. You did (naturally) take the opportunity to criticize Gscholz's testing method which was entirely irrelevant to his discovery of this bug in the flight model.

Eventually maybe you will notice the consistent element in these unnecessarily awkward exchanges is you.

:salute

Gscholz didn't test anything that I disagree'd with. What is consistent is you and hlbly failing to appreciate the irony of your criticism.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »
Here is more P-47 flight data. Fig.46 is the dive flap acceleration chart. Nothing about dive flap drag.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20090022749.pdf

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »
Here is more P-47 flight data. Fig.46 is the dive flap acceleration chart. Nothing about dive flap drag.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20090022749.pdf

Same thing with the flight data from the tests of the use of a dive flap on a XP-51, has the acceleration charts but nothing on drag.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 09:58:01 PM »
Plenty of flaps in aces high produce less drag than they should.

What's strange is leading edge slats stopping an airplane almost dead when they deploy.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2014, 12:58:23 AM »
Gscholz didn't test anything that I disagree'd with.

You disagreed with his method in order to show how fantastically correct you are which was irrelevant to the discussion.

What is consistent is you and hlbly failing to appreciate the irony of your criticism.

It would have only been ironic if hlbly was incorrect and you were correct. You consistently derail useful and constructive threads with your ego and then whine like a petulant child when criticized for it.

Nice job Gscholz, very good detective work  :salute

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-