Author Topic: keeping fleets from sitting right on the shoreline  (Read 544 times)

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
keeping fleets from sitting right on the shoreline
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
Ive been watching a not so fun sort of problem occur where guys(or girls) might log into the MW,park a fleet on top of a base usually right in front of it.shell for a min then up a plane.next thing that happens is the CV is sunk by shore battery, or the swarm of bombers takes off and fleet is sent back to port, is there a better system aside from taking control of fleet that would make it so there is a further distance the fleet has to sit off shore.i realize the closer the ships are to shore the faster the landing craft get in,some of the distances the fleets need to travel is quite far just to get to a base to shell.thanks guys and girls,ladies

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: keeping fleets from sitting right on the shoreline
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:54:04 PM »
Welcome to aces high  :cheers:
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
Make it so the LVTs always spawn to a specific distance from land, regardless of where the CV is.  Then make it so the CV group's closest distance to shore equals the extreme range of its auto puffy.  No CV puffy over airfields.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:06:52 AM »
Make it so the LVTs always spawn to a specific distance from land, regardless of where the CV is.  Then make it so the CV group's closest distance to shore equals the extreme range of its auto puffy.  No CV puffy over airfields.

+1 no cv puffy over airfields.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
TBH, this is once again why we need more task group types:

CVs shouldn't be able to get any closer than 25 miles from a base. There should be dedicated "invasion" groups that spawn LVTs and can get closer.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »

CVs shouldn't be able to get any closer than 25 miles from a base. There should be dedicated "invasion" groups that spawn LVTs and can get closer.

I think this will be addressed with the new terrain update. Since they have shown water depth, which will work for submarines.. but I think this will address the "CVs on top of our base" problem we have had.  Then I wouldn't doubt it if they recycle the 'segment touches land' and re-coad the cvs so they can't go within certain depths due to lack of water  :D

Can't wait for that update.

:x
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »

Yup, there could be cv groups with troop transports in them, would be a cool feature if the invasion group would be incorporated.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »
lets make it where you launch bombers, dive bombers and f/b's to kill cv group..i bet that will work!!
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
one word can stop this.....MINES   either and airborne dropped mine that would work like vehicle supps....you put it out and it is there for a specific amount of time.....but instead of fixing anything...it causes damage and can sink a ship............as soon as some hit the water,the cv boys will freak out and turn the boat.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
one word can stop this.....MINES   either and airborne dropped mine that would work like vehicle supps....you put it out and it is there for a specific amount of time.....but instead of fixing anything...it causes damage and can sink a ship............as soon as some hit the water,the cv boys will freak out and turn the boat.

hmmmm. Here's a reason to spawn the pby from a port.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
this sounds alright-might be hard to make em float.program wise
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »
hmmmm. Here's a reason to spawn the pby from a port.
launching a pby from a port will get shot down faster than you can shake a stick at--mainly because cv's launch planes to attack the port as it is..planes will stand a chance.so alpini's idea of mines is more feisable..

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 03:36:18 PM »
launching a pby from a port will get shot down faster than you can shake a stick at--mainly because cv's launch planes to attack the port as it is..planes will stand a chance.so alpini's idea of mines is more feisable..

Fi marker planes can take off from ports. I don't see why PBYs shouldn't be able to.

Mines would need a set time to determine how long they 'exist' until disappearing. Like after placed they last for 20-30 mins, or until the player logs out.

I give a +1 to both   :aok
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
Fi marker planes can take off from ports. I don't see why PBYs shouldn't be able to.

Mines would need a set time to determine how long they 'exist' until disappearing. Like after placed they last for 20-30 mins, or until the player logs out.

I give a +1 to both   :aok

and the PBY would have just as much chance at survival attacking a CV fleet as the Storch does, which is nil.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
At any rate, you wouldn't lay mines around a base that's under attack to begin with. Though nothing would stop you from doing some mine-laying around a base not under attack if you have any reason to believe it might fall under attack soon.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.