Author Topic: Game pops to desktop  (Read 536 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Game pops to desktop
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »
iMac OS 10.8.5 using Bootcamp to run Windows 8
Intel Core I7 CPU
16GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX780M w 4GB VRAM

What happens is about 2 minutes after entering the arena the game will minimize and I pop to the desktop.  I can click on the task bar and I'm right back in the game.  This doesn't always happen, but it is quite often…probably over 50% of the time I play.  There is nothing consistent I have determine that causes this to happen.  I might still be in the tower/hangar or I might be inflight (aircraft or GV).  It only happens the one time--I can play for hours (for goodness sake don't tell the wife) and it will not reoccur.

Any thoughts?

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Game pops to desktop
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Could it be your Anti-virus or something else updating itself? Or worse: Your anti-virus finds something and gives a tiny 2 second message, just enough to activate the desktop? Check the timestamps of your anti-virus updates. Also check your quarantine and if there's something look at the time stamps if they match your desktop experience. Some pop-up messages on the desktop may want your attention so badly they'll break whatever you've been doing to announce themselves.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »
It is an external program telling Windows that it wants to be the primary application and Windows minimizes the game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
It is an external program telling Windows that it wants to be the primary application and Windows minimizes the game.
I wish I could express myself in such a clear few-worded manner!  :salute
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »

Hmmm.  The ONLY thing I run Windows for is AH.  As far as I know there are no other programs running.  Will poke around and see what I can see.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
You run Windows... Automatic updates?

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
Automatic updates, spyware, malware are all installed without you knowing about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
If you use programed buttons, check to see if you have one held on with the Ctrl pressed or something like that.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »
Just took a peek, I had it selected to "check for updates" but not to auto install.  There were several updates waiting so perhaps it was trying to tell me about the updates.

How do you guys do it….allow auto updates?  Check but no download?

A sure cure would be if y'all wrote a Mac version.   :devil

Thanks for your help!

<S>
Columbo

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »
I have the auto-updater disabled and just run a check manually once every couple of weeks.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
That's how I now have it set as well.

Thanks
Columbo

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:41:05 AM »
I have the auto-updater disabled and just run a check manually once every couple of weeks.

^^^ This is how I have always set up any computers I have that run any type of Windows OS

--------------------------

Colmbo,  not sure if this might be causing it or not, but some of the Soundcard manager or sound Software manager programs have the ability to throw out a pop-up whenever you plug in your headphones or plug in your microphone.................. and will throw up another pop-up if you was to unplug your headphones or microphone, which will cause the game to minimize.

Their usually is a checkbox in the software manager to turn this feature on or off, so that plugging in or unplugging headphones or microphone will not cause a pop-up

hope this helps           Good Luck!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 01:19:51 AM »
With updates OFF I logged on tonight and didn't have it happen, will see as time goes on.

I leave the headset plugged in all the time so that shouldn't be a problem.
Columbo

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »
Windows media center used to pull that on me.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"