Author Topic: Archive of the Closed Forums  (Read 324 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Archive of the Closed Forums
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
There is lots of knowledge on some closed forums...

- Each Scenario opens a forum, many discussions are going there, including each side's discussions
- When the forum is closed all the data is not available any more

Please provide an access for such a valuable data.

(BTW in the VBuiltin that HTC used to run, it was possible to search old forums)

Please... there are lots of knowledge there.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Archive of the Closed Forums
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
Are you presuming they ARE archived or asking if they are or are you wanting them to be archived if they aren't?

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
don't know if they have archive's of past forums,but i doubt it.what you can do,is look at bottom of page,those are page numbers and search page by page......also up toward the top is search--you search a topic--and it will bring up a list of pertanent subject.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 03:33:30 AM »
Are you presuming they ARE archived or asking if they are or are you wanting them to be archived if they aren't?

Once upon a time this form was running on VBulletin, the forms were removed from the list but the content remained. More than that, the content was searchable (although the forms were not listed at the main page)

I hope that the forms are hidden and not removed or at least kept in DB so they can be reopened.

I think deleting content is a mistake. Moving it out of the main board, closing for updates yes. But deleting it NO.

So:

- If the content exists - make it available in read-only form
- If the content is deleted   :cry please keep it in future and make a place.

Such a content consists of many valuable data and writings - it isn't O'Club it is planning scenarios, discussing tactics and more.

Please give the content back to the community - it is valuable - it is the historical information about AH.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »
We do not archive the special event forums.  They are removed once they are done.

It has nothing to do with the forum software.  It has everything to do with any forum software being able to deal with hundreds of forums, along with several million posts.

People already complain about the search function as it cannot search the entire 15 year history, of the forums, without timing out.   If we had kept all those forums online, you would be lucky to get any search to work, for any period of time.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
Skuzzy,

The problem is that there are moo much valuable data. Even without search or other functionality. Let google index it, just make it available.

Too bad we don't have it. It is very valuable - especially for event designers - read opinions, problems and more - it is history.

Maybe you have backups?

Also small note: it looks like OClub takes much more space on the forum than all the SEA forums. And just to compare the value of oclub against SEA. If you want something to "erase" erase several yers old posts at oclub - in any case 99% of them are about nothing.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
It looks like OClub takes much more space on the forum than all the SEA forums. And just to compare the value of oclub against SEA. If you want something to "erase" erase several yers old posts at oclub - in any case 99% of them are about nothing.

Well, he's kinda gotta point there (though I'm not sure of the value of archived event forums, given most of the event organizers tend to archive their own stuff, anyway - Brooke for instance - he has archives back to AW days - then again, I didn't archive squat and wish I had).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
Skuzzy,

The problem is that there are moo much valuable data. Even without search or other functionality. Let google index it, just make it available.

Too bad we don't have it. It is very valuable - especially for event designers - read opinions, problems and more - it is history.

Maybe you have backups?

Also small note: it looks like OClub takes much more space on the forum than all the SEA forums. And just to compare the value of oclub against SEA. If you want something to "erase" erase several yers old posts at oclub - in any case 99% of them are about nothing.

There are no backups.  Once closed, they are completely removed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com