Author Topic: Food for thought ...  (Read 15715 times)

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Re: Food for thought ...
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »

Leadership is about influence, not authority.

Tru dat.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
Good point.  I was thinking people who asked or showed an interest.  One noob a week?  An hour or so?  30 mins?  Drive the culture.  If it helps keep some people around, that little bit of help may make for a ton of fun later if that guy stays and pays it forward

I also think ACM is pretty darned difficult to teach.  I was just thinking about how I'd approach a completely green day one newbie who said to me, "Where do I start?"  ...which made me think the more likely question would be "How do I get good?"  ...which made me think the even more likely question would be "How do I not get killed all the time?"

I guess I'd start with setting up their views and controls, then um... for me, things get foggy from that point forward. ;)  Always helping the newbies is a good attitude to have, and I always do when they ask a specific question, but when it comes down to how to actually fly the plane and play the game, IMO teaching is not easy, and not everybody is good at it.

I know I've tried to explain things to people and had a helluva time getting across what was in my head...  Even people who've been playing for years.  That's on me, not them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
Edit:  I am not nice all the time.  I know this.  I will try harder

FYI - You are not all that bad...and for goodness sakes, who IS nice all the time?  Not I certainly and I doubt anyone in this game could claim to be.

Your suggestions are all well put and wise advice.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
I had a long rant typed up about helping the new players to create the culture of the game but I decided it was not worth it  :salute changeup ....there are some in this game who keep their heads about them instead of believing that the game is dying or whatever...if the vets of this game would try to create an atmosphere of wanting to teach the game to new players instead of calling them dweeb noob runt**** you will create the type of player base that you want instead of running off new players or ruining them by making them complacent that hoing and running is the only way cause they can't get help....I was taken under the wing of a vet when I started...it made me appreciate other players more and made the game much more fun...and I always make sure to extend a hand to new players...just a simple "is there anyway I can help" pm can make all the difference in the world
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
I had a long rant typed up about helping the new players to create the culture of the game but I decided it was not worth it  :salute changeup ....there are some in this game who keep their heads about them instead of believing that the game is dying or whatever...if the vets of this game would try to create an atmosphere of wanting to teach the game to new players instead of calling them dweeb noob runt**** you will create the type of player base that you want instead of running off new players or ruining them by making them complacent that hoing and running is the only way cause they can't get help....I was taken under the wing of a vet when I started...it made me appreciate other players more and made the game much more fun...and I always make sure to extend a hand to new players...just a simple "is there anyway I can help" pm can make all the difference in the world

Changeup is a guy on first impression is an advanced player in the game.. he has put in his time and his experience this will hopefully rub off on you..  There is no substitute for this time/effort.. nothing, absolutley zilch.. and it is obvious in the performance of his game..   I don't know what else I can possibly offer the game then to folllow this handbook brothers..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:57:44 PM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
 :headscratch:
oh
 :lol
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2014, 03:11:22 PM »
AH is awesome and gets better every week :old:

And when it is not I will start playing golf :old:

Golf :rofl

Personalised number plates :rofl

Maple syrup on bacon :cry

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »
I see whines about the lack of ACM but few posts to give value to ACM. If players see no value in ACM then they will not aspire to learn it.

IMO it is only thru change that "old" can be enjoyed as much as "new". Our game play mechanics ( whilst having developed somewhat) are little changed from AW/WB of 1997.

Of course if it's only about the "duel" then nothing will ever change except how folk may perceive it, value it and conduct it. I can go back to similar whines on AW boards in the late 90'sre lack of ACM even then  folk moaned about dumb HO's even when shots to a player's 12 were subject to a massive reduction in lethality.

It takes two to HO. One might be perpetually attempting it but the other still has choice......

Maple syrup, pancakes, ice cream, bacon, sausage, two eggs ( sunny side up), hash browns and some black pudding, is Cods gift to man and a route to an early grave......... cod bless Denny's I say.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Maple syrup, pancakes, ice cream, bacon, sausage, two eggs ( sunny side up), hash browns and some black pudding, is Cods gift to man and a route to an early grave......... cod bless Denny's I say.

...Where do you find black pudding at a Denny's?!  I am at once intrigued and appalled.

I'll have what he's having though.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2014, 03:53:11 PM »
Changeup is a guy on first impression is an advanced player in the game.. he has put in his time and his experience this will hopefully rub off on you..  There is no substitute for this time/effort.. nothing, absolutley zilch.. and it is obvious in the performance of his game..   I don't know what else I can possibly offer the game then to folllow this handbook brothers..

Thanks for the kind words but I'm not in the same class as the good sticks.  I envy them though, so much so that recently I've asked for via PM and received time in the TA with Morfiend.  I learned more about what I do wrong In 20 minutes with him than 1000 dying sorties.  He's as good as it gets breaking things down for those that think they understand basic ACM and then applying it.  Real ACM, not tail slides, blind spots and E fighting.  The kind of things like how to force your opponent into a rolling scissors and positioning yourself to win it.  Barrel rolls that work for the win instead of just avoiding ROCKY, the difference between lag, pure and lead pursuit and why and when to apply each method, why smooth flight is most important and why it helps you win at stall speeds and then the drills you can do off line to get better at all of them.

If you are new, or established you are losing out if you don't go see the trainers with specific issues about ACM.  You won't waste one second of your time in doing so.  You will get better, you will have more fun, you will win fights today you lost yesterday and you will accept responsibility when you die because you will understand what YOU did wrong.

Are you going to die because you got picked?  Yes
Are you going to get vulched?  Yup
Are you going to get beat in 1 v 1s?  Sure
Are you going to get HOd?  Really?
Are you going to outfly an LA or 51 only to have them run when they figure out they're pushing a bad position?  Clearly

Ok now that all that is covered,  you can just play the game right?  All of that happens to the best guys in this game.

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
Maybe hitech could lower the level of the destruction ack and that would prevent some from ack hugging

if you let them get away from their field, there's no ack to hug.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
if you let them get away from their field, there's no ack to hug.

I've upped into a vulch and wound up chasing a guy to his ack.  Not tremendously often, but it's happened.  Can't get much further from his field than that. ;)

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
:rofl

Yep!  Kinda like the gaggle of 109K4s and Ki84s I see ALL the time, sometimes above me, sometimes below.  All supporting one another and vulching their heads off...usually waiting for a  plane above them to fly down, turn and die while they do it.    

I usually know when this is going on because I see certain individuals land more than two kills at a time....actually, come to think of it, land kills at all.  It's a huge tip off, kappy.

Enjoy the fight at 214.

:lol Some people have thin skin Kappa.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:44:21 PM by Bear76 »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
Key point highlighted.  This is what I meant in my prior post concerning HO shots.  Honor?  No one, and I mean no one, should expect anything from a Red guy other than flying bullets and bombs.

I think Arlo and I are actually in agreement on a topic.

:huh  :frown: :uhoh

I really should go check out the window to see if it's raining fire and plagues of frogs....

:bolt:

If someone like myself who loves the game for the fight, and strives to get that kill shot from behind the 3-9 line comes diving in on me I would have every expectation of this player fighting with honor as neither of us would fire on anything other than something from behind the 3-9 line right?

If I catch a box of buffs and someone who like myself plays the game for the fight would fight it out with me instead of bailing when I get with in 1000 yards wouldn't that be honorable?

There can be honor in a game. Some may call it "class", but it amounts to the same thing.... do on to others as you would have them do on to you.