Author Topic: Food for thought ...  (Read 15926 times)

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
Re: Food for thought ...
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
I didn't attempt to do anything other than to tell you the film of you getting a kill on simon, was neither a fight, imo, or worth gloating about...  :aok

this is not what is shown in the film... you merged in behind him, him never being 1.5k out in front of you... now, we oldtime dogfighters don't call this a fight... I'd call it an engagement in which you started out on his 6... granted he may have had a little more speed, and a little more alt, but you started on his 6...  and never got off his 6 as is shown in the film... did you not shoot him from the 6 position?  just because he attempted to turn back into you from 1.5 k out in front, doesn't mean you didn't have the adv of being on his 6 to start with, in other words, you had angles to start with... by being on his 6... what part of that are you missing?
again, you started on his 6...  lolz...  
don't know what you're talking about here....   merge-To become combined or united...   your flight paths were united, you being on the same path as he, but 1.5k behind...  :aok

and just to reiterate my point, if you're going to talk smack about fighting someone and killing them, and then post film.. might want to post one where you don't start out on the guys 6.. it kind of voids the ability to gloat about it... :aok

I'd take the initial position I had any day. With alt and E @ 10K+, an F4U1a will beat an La7 9 times out of 10 (by beat, I include making it dive to the deck and run away). It's pretty clear that I had a big advantage, but I was more focused on the furball than the one focused on me. Not the first time I've made that mistake.

Simon

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »

I'd take the initial position I had any day. With alt and E @ 10K+, an F4U1a will beat an La7 9 times out of 10 (by beat, I include making it dive to the deck and run away). It's pretty clear that I had a big advantage, but I was more focused on the furball than the one focused on me. Not the first time I've made that mistake.

Simon
I'd take the la7 1.5 out... it's hard to beat if flown well and starting on the 6 position..  of course, I agree with you, had you flown that engagement properly, you could have created a great angle to induce him into a rolling scissors up there, and flapped him to death...  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »

Join a good squad ASAP.   Everything will change sir, good luck <S>

Edit: Join a good squad that participates in the FSO, sir.

I used to be in the Jokers. was fun for a bit, but there was no command structure at the time. and I didn't take well to 15 different people telling everbody where to go and what to do.
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
    I used to be in the Jokers. was fun for a bit, but there was no command structure at the time. and I didn't take well to 15 different people telling everbody where to go and what to do.

I like this one.  I like this guy :aok :salute
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »
Would you follow me?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:33 AM »
Here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSj9BtHMFro&t=560

A more perfect example of the Bubi Hartmann school of air combat you'll be pressed to find.

Snicker... Skyyr = Shadow from FA. Now it all makes sense.

Come on Simon, give the dish to those of us who never flew FA  :D

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2014, 09:35:13 AM »
this is not what is shown in the film... you merged in behind him

don't know what you're talking about here....   merge-To become combined or united...   your flight paths were united, you being on the same path as he, but 1.5k behind...  :aok

You're arguing out-of-context semantics. In air combat, merge has a very, very specific definition. Whatever additional definitions the word might have do not apply here. I can speak from my own first-hand knowledge, from my professional experience, as well as from my education.

Further to my point, here's a quote from retired combat pilot and renowned air combat historian Col Phillip S. Meilinger:

In air combat, “the merge” occurs when opposing aircraft meet and pass each other.
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj07/sum07/meilinger.htm

It is literally impossible to merge behind the opponent, as a merge implies a ~180* aspect - that is the reasoning for the term merge, as it carries specific aspect implications.

A more perfect example of the Bubi Hartmann school of air combat you'll be pressed to find.

Not sure if you're being facetious or serious - either way, I take that as a compliment. Thank you.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »
Would you follow me?

YES!

ZACH FOR EMPEROR OF AH!  ALL HAIL!

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2014, 09:44:12 AM »
You're arguing out-of-context semantics. In air combat, merge has a very, very specific definition. Whatever additional definitions the word might have do not apply here. I can speak from my own first-hand knowledge, from my professional experience, as well as from my education.

Here's a quote from retired combat pilot and renowned air combat historian:

In air combat, “the merge” occurs when opposing aircraft meet and pass each other.
- Col Phillip S. Meilinger, USAF, Retired
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj07/sum07/meilinger.htm

It is literally impossible to merge behind the opponent, as a merge implies a ~180* aspect - that is the reasoning for the term merge, as it carries specific aspect implications.

Not sure if you're being facetious or serious - either way, I take that as a compliment. Thank you.

So I guess by your definition I merged on your six last night.  Unseen and us all alone too! 

And then you merged with my Tempest's four Hispanos.   :D :aok

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2014, 09:55:53 AM »
So I guess by your definition I merged on your six last night.  Unseen and us all alone too!  

And then you merged with my Tempest's four Hispanos.   :D :aok

He's mincing words to be difficult.  

The educational and professional point that he's making is that Skyrock used the term merge when he technically should have used the phrase "Simon was busy running down another aircraft and Skyrr slipped in behind him, unopposed,  followed him around the sky for 7 seconds and shot him down"

Hence Skyrock's statement of "that wasn't a fight".   Anyone who watches the film would say the same thing.  Having fought Simon a long time ago in the brackets and getting one co-alt fight with Skyrr only once, I'd say should those two run into each in the MA on somewhat equal footing, the result would be different.  Embarrassingly different.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:57:40 AM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
So I guess by your definition I merged on your six last night.  Unseen and us all alone too!  

And then you merged with my Tempest's four Hispanos.   :D :aok

I think you're thinking of (or confused me with) someone else. I only flew for about 30 minutes last night running attack missions and my only deaths were from ground fire, unless I'm mistaken. I went to check the stats to confirm, but they're not up yet for the current tour. I'm honestly curious now.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:00:41 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »
The educational and professional point that he's making is that Skyrock used the term merge when he technically should have used the phrase "Simon was busy running down another aircraft and Skyrr slipped in behind him, unopposed,  followed him around the sky for 7 seconds and shot him down"

Hence Skyrock's statement of "that wasn't a fight".   Anyone who watches the film would say the same thing.  Having fought Simon a long time ago in the brackets and getting one co-alt fight with Skyrr only once, I'd say should those two run into each in the MA on somewhat equal footing, the result would be different.

Heh...I knew what he meant.  I was just being snarky.  :D

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
I think you're thinking of (or confused me with) someone else. I only flew for about 30 minutes last night running attack missions and my only deaths were from ground fire. I'd pull the stats now for you, but they're not up yet for the current tour.

:headscratch:  I coulda sworn the buffer said "Skyyr" and it was a Dora...which is your weapon of choice if memory serves.

*shrug*  I could be wrong! My apologies if so.  :)  :salute

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »
:headscratch:  I coulda sworn the buffer said "Skyyr" and it was a Dora...which is your weapon of choice if memory serves.

*shrug*  I could be wrong! My apologies if so.  :)  :salute

No worries - I could be mistaken as well. Either way, -=S=-.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...