Author Topic: Damaged Engine Model  (Read 881 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Damaged Engine Model
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
When the engine is damaged to a point that the damaged engine sound wave begins to play, reduce the engine performance as well.
Maybe to around 75% or so.  Nothing too crazy.

Coogan

Edit:  that's a lot of 'engines' in the first sentence.    :lol
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:03:12 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Damaged Engine Model
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »
Agreed  :aok
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:29:44 PM »
This is something I've always thought was holding back one of the "realism" factors of AH: the all or none damage system.

Why not have partial damage? Why cant engines just lose some compression but still function?  Why cant control surfaces be partially damaged?  What cant one of the bomb bay doors be damaged and unable to be opened? Why cant tanks have turrets damaged so the traverse rate is reduced or even immobilized?  Etc etc.

There are dozens and dozens of things in AH that could be adjusted for partial damage.  Control surfaces would be priority if HTC ever decided to model it.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
This is something I've always thought was holding back one of the "realism" factors of AH: the all or none damage system.

Why not have partial damage? Why cant engines just lose some compression but still function?  Why cant control surfaces be partially damaged?  What cant one of the bomb bay doors be damaged and unable to be opened? Why cant tanks have turrets damaged so the traverse rate is reduced or even immobilized?  Etc etc.

There are dozens and dozens of things in AH that could be adjusted for partial damage.  Control surfaces would be priority if HTC ever decided to model it.

What probably bugs me the most are the flaps.  Example: If they are full out and you lose one, IT STILL THERE, despite the CLEAR fact that it was shot away. :bhead
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
More better graduated damage yes good +1 happy funtime.

For all the reasons listed above.  A control surface/system with 99 bullet holes that works factory fresh, and then with the 100th falls off is ok, but it could be so much better.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:41:47 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,359841.0.html

Here you go. 7 pages of arguing about how a more detailed damage model would destroy the fun of the game.

(For the record, I'm one who WANTS a more detailed DM).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »
What probably bugs me the most are the flaps.  Example: If they are full out and you lose one, IT STILL THERE, despite the CLEAR fact that it was shot away. :bhead
Visually it is shot away.  In the actual flight model it is modeled as jammed in whatever state it was in when it was destroyed.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »
Visually it is shot away.  In the actual flight model it is modeled as jammed in whatever state it was in when it was destroyed.

I know.  That's what bugs me.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
When the engine is damaged to a point that the damaged engine sound wave begins to play, reduce the engine performance as well.
Maybe to around 75% or so.  Nothing too crazy.

Coogan

I ripped the sump off a Panda car and drove it back to the station pretty rapidly, it didn't have a marked loss of performance until I got it back and it siezed on the car park in front of the mechanic :uhoh
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »
PLEASE +1 for this!! HItech!!!! double bill me and keep 15 for yourself if you put this on!!
Peanut1 in game.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
hi fidelity damage model has to go hand in hand with realistic gunnery, I still kill moving fighter planes 800 yards out and I'm not alone, it was uncommon to kill more than 400 yards out.
Warbirds tried that but unfortunately they reverted it back to quake-birds, still you need more hits to kill enemies there than here at range.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »
Ah! Never thought of it. :huh

Good thinking. :aok
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
hi fidelity damage model has to go hand in hand with realistic gunnery, I still kill moving fighter planes 800 yards out and I'm not alone, it was uncommon to kill more than 400 yards out.
Warbirds tried that but unfortunately they reverted it back to quake-birds, still you need more hits to kill enemies there than here at range.

Given the sizes of the rounds are modeled correctly, the muzzle velocities and round drag is modeled correctly, the aircraft sizes are modeled correctly, what exactly would you do to make gunnery more historical?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 09:10:02 PM »
Isn't the biggest reason why we can hit things from 800 out is because of the icon??? fly icons of and you'd be surprised how close you actually get without the range computing.
See Rule #4

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
Maybe to around 75% or so.  Nothing too crazy.

Coogan

+1  :aok

Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"