Author Topic: This game is dead unless things change  (Read 9317 times)

Offline FORK2

• Zinc Member
This game is dead unless things change
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
I'm 50 years old, retired military and have been playing video games when they could only be found in an arcade. Having said that I can only say with a great deal of regret how disappointed I am in this game and in the people in it. Before you tell me to go elsewhere, or tell me you've been playing the game for a bazillion years and STFU, or I don't respect the game, or whatever your excuse is for not listening to people when they don't tell you what you want to hear let me explain.

I had been looking for a realistic war game, specifically a WWII aerial combat MMOG for a long time. I would have joined the game months ago except I had a MAC I didn't want to partition just to play a vid game (been there done that, WAY too glitchy) and waited until I could justify to the wife another computer purchase. So I studied AH for 2 months, reading all I could about the different plane types and watching the YOUTUBE videos of VUDU and others. In fact over the two months I can honestly say I was as prepared for the game as anyone that has ever played it.

Two weeks into the game have soured me on it however.  it's the rudeness of the people in the game and the still mind boggling complexity of the game... Not the learning how to fly or dog fight, No, I've learned how to fly the planes and I've won my last several one on one dogfights, nor the how do I go to this screen to configure this or that control or adjust this or that view etc (tho that is daunting enough for a new player) ... It's trying to learn how to FIGHT in a complex map situation when there are few that want to answer questions, you're treated like a spy on your own team, no one listens, you're treated like an average 13 year old (whose reflexes btw could probably whip most in the game after a week), and EVERYONE is a know-it-all because they've been playing the game for a bazillion years...For example, I had a Knit (a ten year veteran of the game he so informed me) tell me a Thatch Weave was a Rolling Scissors (it's not, google it).

Perhaps It's just the Bish and Knit mindset, IDK, I just today switched over to the Rooks today and I hope things will be different. Just in case let me, as a new and fresh prospective, lend some advice.

1) Acknowledge the game is dying. There's fewer than 120 people logged most days in the US and fewer than 450 on the weekends...those are abysmal numbers for a mmog. If you still don't believe me then why is there no longer two late war arenas and rarely more than 10 people in the others?

2) Do something about it... if you love the game you'll want to see it continue correct? You need people in the game to pay for it. You have to pay a decent salary to get decent programmers!!!

A) Quit treating every new person as an enemy! So what if there are spys? You think the average person can't figure out there's a bombing mission on your starts after the first week? Get over yourselves and welcome the  newcomers.

B) Invite the newcomers into your squads. U see a new guy? Jump on him and ask HIM what he needs and what he likes to do. Don't tell him what to fight in, TEACH him how and where. Show them the ropes. Teach them in the late war arena, no one wants to be stuck hours on end, alone, in the practice arena, just to learn what a stall is. Remember, you only have two weeks to persuade the guy to stay in the game. After that he's gone if the game is too boring or if the people in it suck!!!

C) Persuade AH to make changes for new people. The game is too complex, which really, REALLY, hampers playability. The game isn't that historically accurate anyway so make it easy on the new guys ((sure, yes, the plane performance is probably close enough, but the war wasn't a three way battle between chess pieces either. (Don't say something snarky like go to AVA... Why? There was only three guys in the last Schweinfurt raid!))

I) Persuade AH to create an automatic landing procedure. Like Shift, l,m, p (land my plane) the AI will then take your plane to the nearest friendly airbase (fuel permitting) and land. (people will stop doing it after they've learned how to keep the dang plane lvl and get vulched a few times. Come up with other ideas to simplify the game for newbies. You wanna more complex game? Turn off the automatic take offs ETC ETC.

II) Convince AH to publish game hints like "How to take a base" (the Knits could learn from that one!) or "Carrier tactics" or "Squadron Tactics" or "Hints on how to win a map"  "The importance of Strats" etc etc. Don't just assume people know it or will pick it up before they've decided to bail on a game that's taking their money, boring, and where everyone is a D*ck...

III) Convince AH to Update the plane characteristics! Having old info is a DEAD giveaway the game is losing membership. I almost didn't get the game after reading them. I knew they were last updated in like, what? 2007?

Last but not least listen to new people. Don't assume just because you've been in the game for 10 years you know everything or that a new person doesn't have skills. We do and some of us are pilots or have pilots in the family. My step father was a Navy Pilot that flew off the Essex in WWII. Some of us know A LOT about WWII. Why else would we even put up with the complexity of the game if we were not interested in the topic? BEFORE we showed up... You tell new people long enough to STFU and they will... when they go to a new game... and sooner or later your game WILL DIE from lack of interest... Just look at the numbers and ask yourself how long the owners are going to invest any time or money into it when their revenue stream is drying up?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: This game is dead unless things change
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:43:37 PM by Skuzzy »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
If you get time try some of the Special Events. Find a squad that participates in the FSO every Friday night and give it a try, you'll enjoy the immersion and what happens in the LWA seems less important. Try out Scenarios as well along with any of the other special events, they're well worth the effort usually. Lastly give the game a little more time. There are some great people here don't let a few rude people ruin the whole experiance for you.

Good Luck.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
The numbers are dwindling quite rapidly. Nothing is more painful that playing the off hours on a huge map that only has 10 people online.

Hopefully the new terrain and water update (and some advertising afterwards) will draw in some new blood to the game. However, the way those new players will be treated has me a little worried. All to often I see new players asking questions and getting sarcastic or rude replies because "It's a simple thing! You should know about it!" No, they don't know about it because they're new. How about helping them out by answering their questions so they don't have to keep asking and keep getting bashed? Just because most of us have been around for several years and know a lot of this game, doesn't mean everyone is. New players are new players. They have very little or no knowledge of this stuff and will quit the game if all they get is bashed for asking questions.

I try to help new guys out whenever I can by answering questions, explaining aerial maneuvers the best I can, or taking them for a ride in my plane for a sortie or two. I'm not the only one who actually tries to help out new guys but there really isn't very many people left who do help them anymore. It's all about the ego's and trying to prove you can own anyone in a fight without actually fighting anyone (other than verbal assaults on 200).

Fork you should join us in the DA tonight at 8PM EST. We'll show you that not all of us are rude, and we still know how to have fun.  :) :cheers: :salute

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
See Rule #4 (quoted a bad one)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:43:59 PM by Skuzzy »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »
Think you just proved his point! I was in arena when he got most of the d...Headed remarks. If it wasn't for respect of the game he wouldn't have posted his remarks! YOU are the arses that kill this game

:noid

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
Nothing is more painful that playing the off hours on a huge map that only has 10 people online.

Fortunately this still has to happen

(No, 10 players on 15 mins after map reset doesn't count ;) )

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:06:36 PM »
Summary: The players need to evolve. I would add that the game itself needs to improve but they are upgrading it. They recently added some bombers and upgraded others, the B-26, Tu-2, Yak-3, etc and are currently working on new software graphics consistent with the year 2014.

When I first signed on squads meant something. Many squad actions, Squad Dueling League, etc. That has died down over the past couple of years. I know when World of Warcraft showed up, even in Beta, many players left. The feedback was that WoW had awesome graphics, very arcadish.

I see two action items:
1. Once graphics are updated they roll out a big, heavy PR/marketing campaign, and
2. Somehow squad action, etc needs to mean something.

With item 2, various ideas have been floated yet to Fork2s point the answer is 'yada, yada, yada Ive been here forever, get bent, won't work.' Ideas such as make the icon for 2-weekers a different color "in-country' so you can instantly see who is new and may need help. When it comes to base taking, maybe those in a dedicated mission all get X perks once captured. Or, maybe they could run a mission with perk birds and those that opt into mission can fly the birds even if they don't have enough perks.

Of course, these could be abused so maybe only certain pilots or squad leaders could run those 'perk missions.' We already screen classy sticks to be trainers, so a precedent has been set.

Anyway, many share the concern...

:salute
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
 While I'll concede that you do have many valid points I do believe you are painting the game with broad strokes,what I mean is you have a single sided view!

I for one would never want to see HTC "dumb down" any of the game,particularly the planes and how the operate. I personally think it's too easy as far as engine management goes.

Shifty is spot on,give yourself some time,try other events,join a squad and make some friends,I think you'd find the game will take on a whole new feeling if you only give these things a chance.

If you're interested in learning more,I'm usually in the training arena most week nights between 9pm and 11 pm eastern. Check the roster to see if I'm logged on and feel free to ask question,shoot at me or any other thing that might interest you.

:salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »
First thing, ignore 100Coogn.

Second I think it's a great first post. I too am in my 50's, but I have been here over 10 years. My Dad who is in his 70's just started flying again.

Now, while agree with most of what you posted there are a number of things that you either don't know, or don't understand.

Game information: All of the things you asked for ...how to capture a base... CV ops.. and other things are available on either the trainers page, or HTC's help pages. The Aces High Wiki is also a great place for info. As for the plane information being out of day, the planes don't change so what is posted on the F4u-D while being 10 years old is still up to day as it is the same plane we had back then. The newer planes take a bit of time to be added, but they do update them. Using off site sites like Doc Gonzos site or Soda's site isn't anything HTC can control. You want them updated, get a hold of the site owner.

HTC is a small company and they like it like that.

As for the arenas, yes it is getting more and more "toxic" as far as what the community allows. The more tolerant the community the less HTC polices it. If you see/hear something you think is out of line use the "report" function and report them. HTC will review the incident and take any action they deem necessary.

As far as posting here to get players to change, only a small percentage of player read the boards.... under 5%. The only way you will see change is if HTC looks and see's a problem and they decide to address the issue.

What you can do, is first off do not tune the radio in the game to channel 200. Play the game YOU want to. If you want to make bomber runs to the strats go for it. Other won't "thank-you" but you KNOW you helped even if they don't understand HOW you helped. Play with other that are having fun. If you fly around those clowns that are always complaining about one thing or another they will drag you down. Stick with it! This game has a lot of things to do in it, and experience. It could take you months just to even touch on all of them let alone get comfortable with them.

Have fun, its a game.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »

Fortunately this still has to happen

(No, 10 players on 15 mins after map reset doesn't count ;) )

Are you saying is HAS happened? Or HASN'T and just typo'd?  :)

I have seen the numbers in the off hours down to about 10 people (ok, there was actually 20 or so online, but half or more were afk and only very few were in-flight). These kind of numbers are ok on the small maps, but when you only have about 10-20 people actually in-flight on maps with 200 miles long front's and 200+ bases, there's just nothing to do other than farm some bomber points.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:44:19 PM by Skuzzy »
Game Id's:

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
I believe I expressed that it was a nice first post. 
If you read the OP's post, you will see that I was joking.  Don't be a dick.

Coogan

you did a poor job

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
you did a poor job

Perhaps it went over your head as well.

Coogan
Game Id's: