Author Topic: MOTD on MA about coming events?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
MOTD on MA about coming events?
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:57:34 AM »
Is it possible to put an-hour or two before a special event involving walkons a MOTD at MA with brief details?

I think it would help the players to be aware of the event - in case someone who forgot to check the forum or isn't a frequent visitor.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: MOTD on MA about coming events?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »
It would require someone to manually update the MOTD, and HTC staff can't be expected to work all hours of the day and night. And since it requires Admin rights to change arena settings, I'm pretty sure HTC wouldn't give anyone outside of their office staff that kind of access.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
It would require someone to manually update the MOTD, and HTC staff can't be expected to work all hours of the day and night. And since it requires Admin rights to change arena settings, I'm pretty sure HTC wouldn't give anyone outside of their office staff that kind of access.

I see, I thought that the CM Staff can change the MA MOTD.

Thanks for the answer.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 11:31:58 AM »
Yep, we only have control over the Special Events Arenas...that's why HTC gave us the ability to utilize "All Arena" announcements to let players in all arenas know an event is about to start. It's also safer that way. I'd hate to be the one who only wanted to change the MOTD but ended up shutting down the MA by accident.
My Current Rig:

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
Yep, we only have control over the Special Events Arenas...that's why HTC gave us the ability to utilize "All Arena" announcements to let players in all arenas know an event is about to start. It's also safer that way. I'd hate to be the one who only wanted to change the MOTD but ended up shutting down the MA by accident.

And you know one of us would end up breaking it sooner or later....Not a place I'd want to be, but it was a good idea, artik.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:56:50 AM »

This kind of stuff can be solved quite simply by HTC by giving some role based authentication such that CMs would only be allowed to upload the MOTD but not change other arena settings.

A request of such a feature should probably come from CM team.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »
Since we have the Announcement Channel, I see no reason to ask HTC to spend programming resources to allow us limited access to the MA settings just to update the MOTD.

I like that you're thinking of things to could increase participation in Events, so don't stop the brain from churning.  :salute
My Current Rig:

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
The announcement channel isn't enough, it's very easy to miss a message during action.  It's also very easy for noobs to completely ignore the text buffer cos they're overwhelmed.  I think having CMs able to update the MA MOTD is a damn good idea and I can't imagine it taking HT very long to set up.  It's only a matter of permissions after all.

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »
I like the idea, but I'd wager not one in fifty reads the MA MOTD, based on the questions being asked during SEA events where they are specifically asked to read it to answer many of their questions. Then getting the correct MOTD back up after the event is yet another matter.

Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:32:42 AM »
Why not shove one up every week posting upcoming events?

Sure we have the forum, but seriously, a small fraction of the game population uses much less knows that a AH BBs exists...

I hope/bet/wonder if HTC has enough spar time to shove a MOTD once a week highlighting that week's events?????

All a CM would have to do is email a copy to HTC to have uploaded on a weekly basis!
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
Then getting the correct MOTD back up after the event is yet another matter.

What correct MOTD?  I haven't seen an MOTD from HT in.....I can't remember the last MOTD I saw from HT on entering the MA.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:20:01 PM »
We did a test once.  We included a message to call us with a certain word.  No one called.  The caller(s) would have gotten a lifetime free subscription to Aces High had they called.

That is how certain, we are, very few people actually read the MOTD.

The more it is used, the less players will pay attention to it.  We use it sparingly, for that reason.

I think there are things that could be done to make events more visible, but it will have to wait until we are done with this whopper of an update we are currently working on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 02:29:59 AM »
Aw....I missed a lifetime sub.  :(

Can ya run the test again?  :)