Author Topic: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »
There you go, pervert. Everything I said is now verified. You can now end the shreckless attack on vehicles in the game.

Hardly ......the can of worms just opened.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Which one of the 3? If it is a true spherical blast (no1) then a good strategy would be to go low onto the deck right after an attack run? 2 would seem a strange shape for a blast, 3 seems a more likely blast for a shell fired into the ground?

And can you accumulate blast damage in a plane, ie a near miss on one will lead to a greater likelyhood of failure on the next pass?

Ahem, I am trying to talk to someone who has actually made a flight sim...thats not you btw, fake sims don't count, go sit in the corner there like a good girl.

I take #3 for 2000 alex ....because it happened the 1st time it must be right...... :rofl

Hmm a square that seems inconsistent with the science of WWII combat. Shouldn't the blast radius be modeled a little more precise? Hmmm........I mean especially when you traveling 275mph in the opposite direction of and past the blast?

The shots blast would project forward, up and out not backward and straight up and not straight up. How high is the blast?

Whats the blast radius sphere square <I got ya range> on a 1000 lb bomb? I mean we should be dropping buffs at 800 ft or so with eggs if that's the case...> gamey crap here.

IV has done this to me before I had always assumed he was hitting me with the main gun as I went by and just chocked it up to the main gun crap ...... as this gamey feature is also in the game.

So we have 2 main gun issues now.....  maybe that's the problem with the planes getting shot... the blast radius sphere square thingy  :rolleyes: is to dallgon big you don't have to hit them just get the projectile close enough and it will explode.

To me..... it's just more concession to the GV'ers....  they need it! At any rate, things going the way they are, will be here all by them self's soon gaming the game some more by turning all those pretty graphics just made off for a better shot through the trees.... :rofl

:cheers:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:47:55 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 04:36:06 AM »
I take #3 for 2000 alex ....because it happened the 1st time it must be right...... :rofl

Hmm a square that seems inconsistent with the science of WWII combat. Shouldn't the blast radius be modeled a little more precise? Hmmm........I mean especially when you traveling 275mph in the opposite direction of and past the blast?

The shots blast would project forward, up and out not backward and straight up and not straight up. How high is the blast?

Whats the blast radius sphere square <I got ya range> on a 1000 lb bomb? I mean we should be dropping buffs at 800 ft or so with eggs if that's the case...> gamey crap here.

IV has done this to me before I had always assumed he was hitting me with the main gun as I went by and just chocked it up to the main gun crap ...... as this gamey feature is also in the game.

So we have 2 main gun issues now.....  maybe that's the problem with the planes getting shot... the blast radius sphere square thingy  :rolleyes: is to dallgon big you don't have to hit them just get the projectile close enough and it will explode.

To me..... it's just more concession to the GV'ers....  they need it! At any rate, things going the way they are, will be here all by them self's soon gaming the game some more by turning all those pretty graphics just made off for a better shot through the trees.... :rofl

:cheers:

Well to be fair I still have no clue what the blast should look like in RL, it seems there are a lot of factors fuzing, angle of entry, what the shell is hitting, to be fair to the GVers some of the 'bombing' in the game is quite gamey as well, lancs flying 50ft of the ground in F3 mode, when I was in a GV I have been killed by a bombs that I can see have missed by a country mile and wondered about it.

Failing that perhaps understanding how the blast works will help me avoid it in future.

I reuploaded the diagram from the tripod site

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:46:31 AM by pervert »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
Interesting stuff........

What about when a shell is fired at a tree?
Ludere Vincere

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »
Interesting stuff........

What about when a shell is fired at a tree?
In AH it should always simply be a sphere centered on where the shell exploded on the firer's front end.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
In AH it should always simply be a sphere centered on where the shell exploded on the firer's front end.

......such that a shell exploded in some AH foliage presents a blast radius centred near tree top height.......
Ludere Vincere

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
......such that a shell exploded in some AH foliage presents a blast radius centred near tree top height.......
Indeed.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »
Given this blast radius is being used agin fairly high speed objects ( aircraft ) then the blast characteristic (v time ) modelling comes into play.

How quickly does the blast sphere take to expand and subsequently decay?

Is AH damage incurred inside the volume of an instant sphere or is it incurred as objects penetrate the expanding surface of the blast sphere?
Ludere Vincere

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
How quickly does the blast sphere take to expand and subsequently decay

My guess would be: Instant. Observe the effect of a large bomb cookie on a town, there's no "blast" expanding. All objects that are destroyed are beign so at the very same moment.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »
I just toyed around with tank HE shells in offline mode. I could not test for the damager radius vs planes (would take two players and a custom arena to do this), so I tried to find out the radius of the kill zone vs a Jeep (the only unarmored ground vehicle in game).
It seems that the instant kill radius vs an undamaged Jeep is ~45 yards for a T-34/85 or a Tiger I HE shell and ~30 yards for a T-34/76 or a M4(76)w HE shell.
(Image removed from quote.)
Of course it doesn't mean the kill zone against planes has the same exact size (not entirely unlikely it's even smaller), but it may give a hint. A more elaborate test in a CA could easily give more meaningful results.

Interdasting.

I did the same test some time ago but have since lost the notes.   :frown: 

I'm wondering why HTC has given the same blast radius to the T34/76 and M4/76???
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2014, 03:14:23 AM »
My guess would be: Instant.

At the instant of detonation they likely just calculate the distance between the vector representing the shell and that representing the aircraft position. It's very quick to do with vector calculus. There isn't any escape except for keeping distant. The gameyness lies in the simplistic hemispherical blast shape.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »
I'm wondering why HTC has given the same blast radius to the T34/76 and M4/76???

My test showed it's just approximately the same. There were a few feet difference between them, but my way of testing was not precise enough for a definite measurement.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:38:54 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman